20GB Ipod or 4GBNano?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by asteroid, Oct 4, 2005.

1. asteroid macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm planning on buying an ipod this week for my girlfriend and up until the last couple of days I was going to opt for the 4gb nano - until I read a couple of the negative reports they've been receiving.

I like the idea of the compact size of the nano, despite the constraints of only having 4gb, but because she'll be listening to it on train journeys into work, I'm concerned it could break after a few weeks/months - even if moderate care is taken to protect it.

My question to you guys is should I go for the Nano or the 4G 20GB ipod?

Thanks in advance.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Both big and small iPods can be broken without too much effort, and both types scratch if you so much as look at them the wrong way. Worry about the capacity and features. The nano got a little more attention on the breakage thing because some of the early units had defective LCDs, but Apple are now replacing them.

The nano has some nifty capabilities as a plaything, like the lyrics display and fancier clock. The big iPod has some practical things missing in the nano, like FireWire and the serial port that lets things like voice recorders and remotes work.

3. asteroid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks iMeowbot, I think I'll go for the Nano.

Are the Nano's which are on-sale now the one's without the faulty LCD?

4. NicP macrumors 6502

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

They've sold so fast that it's a reasonably safe bet the bum units aren't stocked anywhere now.

6. asteroid thread starter macrumors newbie

7. robcts macrumors regular