20gb iPod???

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacKenzie999, Mar 26, 2002.

1. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

This has gotta be wrong, but I just phoned Broadway Computer to check iPod pricing. they had 5gb's in stock and 20gb's coming soon. I had the guy double check and he said, yes, they are 20gb. This has gotta be wrong.

Anyone have any info on this? I was ready to blow way too much money on a walkman...

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

That would be a SHOCK. He has to be looking at the 10GB. The 20GB drives are way to expensive and they are larger than the 5 and 10's, so they would not fit into the iPod enclosure without some master engineering.

Would be cool though.....

3. crumbz macrumors newbie

I would bet that he is mistaken.
    My two cents....

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

MK5002MAL (5G): 54mm x 78.5mm x 5.0mm
    MK1003GAL (10G): 54mm x 78.5mm x 5.0mm
    MK2003GAH (20G): 54mm x 78.5mm x 5.0mm

This is straight from the specs on Toshiba's website. But you're probably right about the cost.

What would be a shock is if Apple shipped such a product without first announcing it. Wouldn't make any sense.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No way! They've only just released the 10Gb, and I would have thought if they did go any bigger (I can't see any need for anything larger than 10gb) then they would go for 15Gb before jumping to 20Gb.

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

There is no 15G drive. They come in 5, 10 and 20. There were originally 2GB units, but I guess they didn't sell too well.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oooops, sorry, my bad! :D
    Still, I don't see that they would release a 20Gb model just yet, if ever.

8. oldMac macrumors 6502a

verbose101

512K ought to be enough for anybody, eh verbose?

Saying that they won't release a 20GB version is the most short-sighted thing I've ever heard. There's no such thing as "enough" space.

How am I going to fit my DVD collection on this thing if they stop at 20GB?

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

My bad, I thought the 20 was bigger. I know that I have over 4,000 mp3's. I would love to have my entire collection on my iPod, but alas, it is not possible as it is over 17 gigs now. Anyway... I think that he must be mistaken. Call back and double check again. If they still say 20, give a phone number so we can order one. Also, did he give you a price on the 20GB?

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: verbose101

Well, I'm soooo sorry! I do hope I haven't hurt your feelings.
    Of course they will release something in the end, but I just can't see it in the near future; that's all. Perhaps towards the end of the year/new year when more people are willing to fork out the cash for a 20Gb version (how much would they charge? $600!!! $700!!!) and when they have the MP3z to fill it.

11. Quark macrumors regular

New FireWire2 and iPod 20GB release

Apple will do an mid-event like they did with the iPod's original release.

They'll send out teasers - new Digital products, not a computer.

Then they will announce the new FireWire 2 iPod 20GB, with the new Digital mini handheld camera that works for both Digital Video and 4.x or 6.x megapixels stills. They worked with Nikon and Canon on these.

They connect to the iPod using an enhanced FireWire 2 cable, which is very flexible and not nearly as stiff or thick as some of the current FireWire cables.

The new iPod will have two types of carying attachments - one for the belt the other for the fore-arm.

You could use it either way. The handheld units are tiny and take little power - the biggest items are the display (3.5 inches) and the lens, not Carl-Zeiss though. It has a built-in flash, a sort of Dialing menu with a dial that resembles the iPods dial, only smaller. The options are amazing.

I say units because there are two versions - one with a large lens which allows telephoto/filter attachments, the other is much smaller and designed for the simpler consumer.

You guys are gonna love this stuff.

When is the event(s) - not sure, maybe even after MWNY.

Take Care,
    Quark

12. Choppaface macrumors 65816

if it doesnt have a Carl-Zeiss then apple needs to rethink their stuff :D

and damn only 20 gigs? no way I can backup my network with that thing :D :D

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

1 Ghz TiBook anyone?

maybe it's the same guy who the band kid's teacher bought 1 Ghz PowerBooks from?

he he he...:p

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

I see the 20GB as possible, but I cannot tell if this newer iPod has the same 1.8 inch Hard Drive, or a larger, but cheaper, 2.5 inch Hard Drive.

The deal with the 1.8 inch Hard Drives is their ridiculous price! At 5GB you pay $400. At double that you pay $500. If Apple does use a 20GB Hard Drive (1.8 inch) iPod what would that cost? $600?

Can Bob Barker say "That's Too Much!"? He, he, he . . .

If Apple ever plans to keep iPod prices down they must switch to the 2.5 inch Hard Drive. A 20GB version will cost much less than $500. However, the iPod will be physically bigger.

What does Apple plan to do? And how big is this 20GB iPod?

It does not take a genius to figure it out . . . just someone who uses a Mac.

15. MacKenzie999 thread starter macrumors regular

Follow-Up Call to Broadway Computer

Hey folks...

A follow-up call to the supposed source of the 20gb iPods turns out to be a bust. They don't even have 10gb iPods yet (although they do have a pretty good price for the 5's, $365). The (better informed) phone guy said they only had 20gb Archos, which is kinda what I figured.

I'm off to the Apple store at lunch today, having finally pushed aside the rational part of my brain that says that's too much to spend on a walkman. Woohoo!

16. SuperMatt macrumors 6502

SuperMatt

20GB is possible

I know somebody that has a 20GB iPod. Of course, it didn't come like that. I asked him how he did it and he just smiled and said "I can't give away ALL my secrets..." He must have bought the 20GB Toshiba hard drive, opened up his iPod, and inserted the new drive. He is quite the expert at taking things apart and putting them back together.

Matthew

17. Mighty Mac macrumors member

How

I understand the ease of puting a larger drive into the iPod. I would love to do this myself. Alas I am Stumped? How did your friend cary over the operating system. It is not like we are given the instal disk.

18. SuperMatt macrumors 6502

SuperMatt

operating system

I think you just run the iPod software updater in restore mode. Of course, I could be wrong, but I think the iPod software restore could do it. Also, I think the connectors on the mini-20GB HD are such that with a little work, it could be used as a laptop drive.

Matthew

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think the 20 gig hd is available in the same size....but to do it for now would likely involve doing it yourself....in which case u void your warranty...

there was an article a couple months back with this on www.ipodhacking.com I think regarding this....showed pics of the guy doing it step by step...

20. vitrector macrumors member

Actually, Gelfin and others are not correct, the 20 GB drive is 3 mm thicker than the 5 and 10 GB drive from Toshiba (http://www.toshiba.com/taissdd/news/press44.shtml). The guy that has the 20GB iPod must have made some modifications to accomidate the extra 3 mm, internal padding removal alone will not do the trick according to posts at iPoding.com in January.
    While 3 mm is not much, it would change the form factor noticably and introduce production issues that a same size drive does not.
    there.

Powermac 7100 (!)
    powerbook firewire (black)
    iPod
    dual G5 1.6GHz (fictitious :( )