20gig Ipod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Celeron, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I've got the urge to spend some money and the new gen4 20gig Ipods has caught my eye. I've started going to gym on a regular basis, but I don't have any sort of portage music player, so I think the Ipod would fill that gap nicely. Also, I had some plane flights coming up, and I think it would be nice to have something to listen to instead of simply staring out the window at nothingness.

How decently does the Ipod double as a external hard drive? I got a 12'' PB and a PC so I'd like to be able to use it on both, is that possible?

Please, convince me to buy one of these beauties. I should be able to pick one up today at my campus bookstore for the discounted educational pricing.

Thanks!

2. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

If you search the forum, you would find all the answer you need. But I know that we are all lazy in our own way so I will answer your questions directly.

When you get your iPod, install the software and update the firmware to be PC iPod. The HDD will be formatted in FAT32 and you will have able to use the iPod under PC and Mac.

I don't know what your workout is like, but if it is anything like mine, you should not use HDD based players to workout. But if you are lifting or running on treadmills, it should be fine as long as you are not jerking your player around.

3. Celeron thread starter macrumors 6502a

No crazy working out. I would be doing some lifting, but not free-weights, on the machines instead. No treadmills here, I do use the exercise bike though.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I went running - for the first time in a very, very, very long time yesterday (so, perhaps, "running" is the wrong word). Anyway, I took our 4G 40GB iPod with me and it had no problems. I can't wait for some decent cases to come out - we got a belt-type holder at the Apple Store, and it worked acceptably.

I'd imagine that it would be fine for working out as well.

5. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

For a long time, I have been on the side of Anti-exercise with iPods. I really don't like the fact that people are using HDD for erratic moving and they are really sensitive piece of device.
    Of course you can do whatever you want with your iPod, but if they fail that is causing more issues at Apple and they have to recover their loss from raising the prices or keeping the prices high on their products and service. I hope to shop from them for a while and don't want to see this happen.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Actually, my understanding is that the HD spins only rarely. Obviously, you shouldn't subject the 'pod to severe G's, but I don't think that moderate exercise will hurt it. It won't extend the life, obviously, but I don't think it'll cause major problems. They are designed to be used portably, after all.

Of course, if they break after a few years, there'll be a new generation of 'pods to choose from. ;) But I think they'll be OK.

7. Celeron thread starter macrumors 6502a

Modern day hard drives are very robust and many of them can substain a shock of several g's while operating. Most hard drives can take a shock of 75gs while parked, meaning a drop will most likely not damage a hard drive if its off.

I'm still trying to come up with enough excuses to justify the cost. I'm not a huge music buff, but a portable player would be nice.

8. wide macrumors 6502a

30 minute skip protection I though, so run or lift for 30 minutes, let the iPod play for a few minutes while it is flat on a table, not moving, then continue working out. Or you could just stop after 30 minutes