20in. iMac G5 or Updated Mac Mini w/ Dell 24in. Monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobert1985, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Bear macrumors G3

You've hit the crux of your issues with this one question. If you want to play HD Video, get an iMac 2.0GHz. I have a PowerBook G4 1.5GHz and it drops frames playing the HD trailers that apples has on the QuickTime site.

An LCD screen should las several years if it isn't abused.

2. cube macrumors G4

You need dual G5 2GHz for 1080p.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

with a monitor that size, I'd lean towards the mini. The mini will last 3-4 years, but I can't imagine needing to replace a good 20+" monitor for the better part of a decade. If you go with 17" though, I'd go for the iMac, because it is so much more powerful. Even on the larger monitor I'd be torn, because a 2Ghz G5 is a lot better than a 1.5Ghz G4.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Bob--

I'd suggest going the iMac route. The 2.0 20" is MUCH faster than the 1.5 GHz G4--I replaced a 1.5 GHz Powerbook with the iMac and the speed differential is notable. And overall, the iMac offers a terrific combination of power, convenience, and value that the Mini just doesn't approach. And by the time you max out a Mini, even with the cheap Dell screen, the cost differential isn't all that large. Finally, even after the updates, the iMac will still have a considerably faster and more powerful graphics card that will cope much better with HD video.

Best,

Bob

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

My 5+ year old LCD on my notebook is still going strong with only a tad colour shift, that can be corrected on the software level. :)

Cannot say about a desktop LCD as I have never owned a desktop since May 2005. :eek: ;) :p :D

Though I have read that desktop LCD may it be all-in-one or separate last for a minimum 5 years, that might also depend on components, etc. :)

6. bobert1985 thread starter macrumors member

7. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

am I the only one to find imacs to be a little unatractive?

8. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I think the iMac's look fantastic. Every time I look at my 20inch in my room I get this big silly grin on my face like this :D

9. bobert1985 thread starter macrumors member

I don't. I guess that's why it is not a problem if I decide on the iMac G5. I kinda find the G4 lamp a tad gaudy myself... cool, but gaudy. But to each his own, though. :p

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I find them to be a little bland in the way that a lot of "modern" design is bland.......but I love mine. It's worked out much better than I expected

11. jbuba macrumors member

after some searching i finally found someone trying to decide between a mac mini w/ a 24" Dell vs a 20" iMac. so did you make up your mind on which one to get? i keep switching back and forth. i love the power and all in one package of the imac. but the dell monitor is a lot bigger and has a video in which means i can use it to watch tv and eventually play xbox360 games in HD since i don't have a hdtv at the moment. my main concern is if the slower G4 and inferior graphics card in the mini will be able to handle my needs. i usually surf the web and do wordproccessing stuff, the occasional dvd-rip, and some audio garageband type stuff (currently use reason). what i hate about my dell p4 2.0ghz pc is that if i'm backing up a dvd or burning it, then it totally slows my whole computer down and i cant even surf the web or do other things at a normal pace. i wish i got in on that mac mini test drive so i could see if it would be able to see how it handles what i do.

12. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

iMac G5 for sure. So much more powerful than a mac mini, and it would last you a lot longer too. Best value in Apple's lineup I would say.

13. bobert1985 thread starter macrumors member

14. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I with you i think it's kinda ugly, but i would still buy one because of what lies within. :D

Plus, the iMac G5, is the best value for the price of all the Mac products.