20in iMac or 2Ghz MacPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdl8422, Sep 5, 2006.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I recently had my Powermac G5 Stolen so I am in the market for a new Mac. I have 2000$ after taxes to spend. I used it to graphic design work. Mostly the adobe and Macromedia Suits and it worked just fine. It was a 1.6Ghz 512RAM, so I know these two computers will work fine for me. I am just worried about having a laptop as my primary computer, so any input would be great. Should I get a:

20in iMac
    1GB Ram
    Upgraded Video Card

or a

2Ghz Macbook Pro
    1Gb RAM

If i get the laptop I will later down the road get a 20in Apple display to work on when I am not at school working. Also I will not be buying anything until after the 12th.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

3. tabaczka macrumors member

Hahha. God damn Merom is making everything so hard.

4. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

good gosh mine is pretty heavy and i almost killed myself trying to get it up my stairs. i just hope i never have to take it down.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Maybe your G5 became self aware and decided to seek others of it's kind. :cool:

Even if you do manage to get the Merom iMac, you'll want more than 1 GB RAM
    to counteract Rosetta's RAM cravings.

Honestly if you can stand to wait just a bit, I would be combing the Refurb pages every single day until a Mac Pro 2.66 shows up and pounce on that sucker.

7. jkaz macrumors 6502

I would recommend the imac.

If you 100% don't need the portability of a laptop, get the desktop.

In the case of the iMac, it's simple design has made it the most portable desktop ever.

Unplug power cord, keyboard and mouse, put back into the original shipping box- which is between a briefcase and a suitcase in size, and you can take it to a friends, or whatever.

From my experience, laptops are more likely to have problems. On the most simple of terms, your desktop isn't getting crammed into a backpack 5 times a day nor is it getting tossed around, even if you take your iMac around the town, it will never get treated as harshly as a laptop.

I haven't priced out laptops in a good long while, but i'm fairly certain you will get more computer and a bigger screen for a smaller price.

iMac will have cheaper ram upgrades, a bigger and faster harddrive, better graphics, and other technical advantages.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I just re-read your post.

Your decision is between an iMac and a Mac Book Pro DoH!~

You need the storage and performance of a desktop if you're doing this full time.

I would still personally hold out for a Refurbished Mac Pro Tower since you already have a display.

I would then move to somewhere safer where people don't mess with your stuff.

9. tabaczka macrumors member

Hahaha. How did you manage to get your G5 stolen? I wouldn't imagine that would be the easiest thing to run off with.

10. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I wonder if anyone ever had their eMac stolen :p