Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Sceadufax said:
Should I burst open the oringinal packaging( STOP DROOLING!) and use this beautiful machine, or should i keep the box sealed up, and watch the value rise?

All vote now!

Use it? That's ridiculous. If you want to keep it, you should be keeping it as a collectable, not a useful computer.. If you want a useful computer, sell it and use the money to buy a new 20'' iMac G5.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
I thought this was a joke....

Like others, I've never seen those before.

They do look stunning. Sounds to me like if you can run 10.3 on these beauties - watch out Ebay!

Must say though - you have to to keep it in the box sealed and insured. Put it in the attic and forget about it.

Who knows what it might be worth for the 40th Anniversary?!

FireArse

peterparker

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Houston
5300cs said:
Ain't she a beut' ;)

Do you have the radio antenna by any chance? What does it look like? The person I bought mine from didn't have it anymore :(

Also, have you ever hooked yours up to a TV?

Yes I do have the radio antenna. I'll have to post a picture, but if I recall it is just a flat wire/cable that splits in two.

Have I hooked it up to a TV? If you mean to a TV signal, then yes I've hooked up to my cablevision. Looks OK, but there is noise on a lot of channels.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Max OS you can run on the standard machine is 9.2.1. Have read that some people have had success when using a upgrade card (mine has a 500/G3) and some have not. Leaving mine on OS9, sometimes it's good to remember we where at a few years ago!

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
FireArse said:
Like others, I've never seen those before.

They do look stunning. Sounds to me like if you can run 10.3 on these beauties - watch out Ebay!

Must say though - you have to to keep it in the box sealed and insured. Put it in the attic and forget about it.

Who knows what it might be worth for the 40th Anniversary?!

FireArse

You may find some of the movies here interesting http://www.cupertino.de/pages/frameset.html go to TV Spots. There is some good stuff on how the TAM was made and an interesting piece with Jonathan Ive on the design.

If storing any computer for a very long time, I personally would open it up and remove the PRAM battery, it will make a real mess of you pride and joy if it leaks!

Sceadufax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
London
Actually, no, I am very pissed off......I was expecting quite a bit more.

Just as well I have another one...........:p

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Sceadufax said:

I thought that was a great price, out of the box they are a donkey, pretty damn slow! nice to look at and play with that's all really. Could also have a buzzing sub problem which would really annoy the buyer!

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
maxterpiece said:
one of the nicest - just slick looking apples ever. Sleek usually doesnt hold up well over time, but for the 20th century mac it definitely has. Definitely keep it sealed. I wish i had one too. I remember how outlandishly expensive they were.

The high price, 10k I think, had to do in part with they were hand delivered to you by a man in a suit. A couple years later, you could buy them for around 2k from mac resellers.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Metallic puke - non collectible.

The 20th Anniversary Macintosh was not innovative or revolutionary in any way.

A cheesy, metallic puke colored Powerbook 3400, tuned inside out.

It was a computer that symbolized what was wrong with Apple at the time. Style over substance. l have vs. you have not.

Woz in a MacAddict magazine interview said it was junk, with drive problems.

My point: don't pay big money for one or think it is any great shakes in a collection.

:p :cool:

deermatt

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
they are kinda cool to look at but pretty worthless as far as usability.. i wouldnt mind having one though!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
chatin said:

It was a computer that symbolized what was wrong with Apple at the time. Style over substance. l have vs. you have not.

How can a "cheesy" product look stylish?

Still when all you are doing is look at this Mac( as most people would be doing NOW a days its nice)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Nice TAMs

but if i had 1500 i have trouble spending it on a TAM when it won't be able to do much, if it was like 50 i could do it but 1500 i could get a new PB for THAT!:eek:

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
chatin said:
The 20th Anniversary Macintosh was not innovative or revolutionary in any way.

Woz in a MacAddict magazine interview said it was junk, with drive problems.

My point: don't pay big money for one or think it is any great shakes in a collection.

:p :cool:
Exactly. I don't think that will stop it from becoming collectable though... After-all, it is a 'special edition' Mac.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I love the TAM, I think it's a great looking piece of industrial design.

Style was always the point - the fact that it used run-of-the-mill Powerbook internals is incidental. Anyway, have you looked around at other Macs or computers in general from the same period? It wasn't a bad machine in it's day at all, and the fact that it has never been a "good value" totally misses the point of its creation in the first place.

I for one liked the black Powerbooks (I like the Aluminums too), and the TAM's looks have aged much better than the beige Macs from the same era as well as the fruity (colored) CRT iMacs.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Lord Blackadder said:
I love the TAM, I think it's a great looking piece of industrial design.

Style was always the point - the fact that it used run-of-the-mill Powerbook internals is incidental. Anyway, have you looked around at other Macs or computers in general from the same period? It wasn't a bad machine in it's day at all, and the fact that it has never been a "good value" totally misses the point of its creation in the first place.

Exactly M'Lord! Content of the machine was never the point, it was a showcase of the Apple Industrial Design team. I still smile when friends see mine, they think it is new and even Mac users who see it still drool! It is an iconic Mac, not to all tastes but still important enough to be collectible.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
mkjj said:
Exactly M'Lord! Content of the machine was never the point, it was a showcase of the Apple Industrial Design team. I still smile when friends see mine, they think it is new and even Mac users who see it still drool! It is an iconic Mac, not to all tastes but still important enough to be collectible.

I would drool if I visited your home and spotted that system, even knowing what it is :) . Just gotta cover the TAM with clear plastic for situations like that :).

It is on my list of things to buy, but the prices are high for me now, and I don't really have the room (yes I know it is small). I may have to buy one next year to add to the collection :) .

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Sceadufax said:

Just spied the other one, Holy brown stuff, I thought you were joking! two sealed TAM's
:eek:

jpod999

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2005
California
TAM's are awesome. There is a local mac store here called "The Mac Guys" and they have a 128K(I think), Mac Portable, Cube G4(I have one too), and a TAM(black).

Cool stuff!

And it is funny to see people saying stuff about OS 9 and how they have never seen it. I have been using the Mac OS since OS 7 and I am only 15...

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Phat_Pat said:
neato

senfield had one of those in one of the seasons.

Indeed he did :) That is how I found out about the TAM, I had seen it on Seinfeld, and knew he had all Apple machines on his show, so I looked it up and found the TAM. I wouldn't mind one, would certainly be a fun computer to use.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I'm assuming whoever would want one of these would use it just for show, as who in the world would want to go back to a slow processor using OS9. Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.