20th Anniversary Mac: 1984 Ad Reposted

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple has posted the version of the 1984 Advertisement that was shown at the Keynote speech.

'1984' initially premiered at the 1984 Superbowl and marked the introduction of the Macintosh.

This new version has been slightly modified by placing an iPod on the sledgehammer wielding runner.

2. macrumors 6502a

paulypants

nice!

Hopefully the 2004 ad will be better than just a pepsi ad:p

3. macrumors 6502

Excellent, this will replace my lower quality version of this ad.

I try to download every ad from Apple there is.

So far go 700MB worth of ads.

4. macrumors newbie

"On January 24th, Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh..."

They did add iPod to the ad, but did not change texts, should I now wait for 24th for new Macintosh? ;)

5. macrumors newbie

SpY2K

:cool: diggin the iPod add-in... creative on Apple's part

6. dho
    macrumors 6502

Maybe the 24th is when the new iPods ship. :)

7. macrumors member

I'm horrified

I can't believe Apple did this. The modification to the ad -- adding the iPod -- is in very poor taste.

Why would the runner be listening to an iPod? It doesn't make any sense. What, the iPod is pumping revolutionary slogans into her ears to harden her resolve? It looks ridiculous.

The runner, who used to be a stark, simple figure of vibrant color in a sea of grey lifeless proletariat workers, now looks like a spoiled brat with a $499 device that she could afford to wear like a bit of jewelry. Ugh. It's both funny and sad, in all the wrong ways.

Is the iPod going up against the conformist domination of the market by some "Big Brother"? No, it has the largest market share of MP3 players and it's hardly the image of some kind creative "rebel".

Tis ad has been turned into a parody by Apple of itself.

8. macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

Comparing with my cruddy 180x120 copy, it looks like they even changed the woman... could just be bad quality copy, but the woman in the 640x480 ad on Apple's site looks a little younger and more wasted...:confused:

9. macrumors regular

Stupid

I'm sorry. That's stupid.

10. macrumors regular

Did they re-shoot the scenes with the lady, or did they add the iPod on FCP??? It looks too perfect to be added to me.

11. macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

If you go to the part where she's running early on (about 10 seconds in), it seems that the woman in the new one has more eye shadow than the woman in the old one.

But it could just be a problem with the version I have of the old one... it is small and VERY degraded.

12. macrumors regular

Uhh, no. Computer effects, possibly done in shake. Probably actually.

This reminds me of the new E.T.'s gun-to-walkietalkie change. Luckily I got the collector's edition for X-mas 2002 which included the original release without all the changes.

13. macrumors member

I think the iPod was digitally added, and if that's true, that's amazing.

The sight of it was funny at first...but, the more and more I think about it, the less and less I like it.

Either way, it's nice to have a large version of it. I think we probably all had the same crappy small version of it :)

14. macrumors regular

Not really. They do things like that all the time.

15. macrumors 6502

reyesmac

Its a waste to show this ad and make a big deal out of it and the only piece of hardware they had to show was an iPod. Now I bet they are going to wait till the end of the year to come out with a 20th anniversary mac, if they have one at all. I would not be surprised if they don't. And if they do, I would not be at all surprised if it was not worth the price it is sold for, mostly because it would be made from at the very least one year old technology. Maybe I am just griping because I expected more. Getting my hopes up for an Apple event is not fun anymore, they usually announce the cool stuff when everyone is tired of looking.

16. macrumors member

g4pismo

so, now that we have a better ver. of the 84 movie, we should remove the added ipod :)

17. macrumors newbie

woodgie

Took me a second to notice the iPod, but I did. Nice idea I think, a small change, a little nod and a wink. I don't have an origonal to compare it to, but I'll look more to see if it's digitally added and chuck my tupp'orth into the pot later. On first look though, if it is digitally added... damn it's good!

18. macrumors regular

The ipod has been added, not re-shot with a look alike actress. Also the Apple at the end of the ad has some new Photoshop-esque bevel on the edge that wasn't in the original.

19. macrumors 6502a

I find it highly ironic that they have dusted off the ol'1984 ad. Here was an ad the announced a revolution in computing.

After replaying the ad during the Keynote, I sure a lot of people were anticipating a major announcement. But nothing -- just some updates (but none on hardware or displays).

Next year we get Bon Jovi?

20. macrumors 6502a

swissmann

Lots of hype about the 20th anniversary and really nothing to show for it. All we got was a promise from Steve that great things were to come. I hope they are better than a crummy 84 poster.

21. iPC
    macrumors 6502

iPC

Re: I'm horrified

I agree 100% with you. Very bad taste, and against the vision of the original advert. Just a way to divert the attention from the lack of new hardware that most users buy being introduced. No G5 upgrade for the PowerMac, no iMac upgrade, no headless Mac, no new displays, etc. Rather boring really. Glad I did not bother to follow it up close today.

22. macrumors newbie

Hooters

The chick is wearing a "Hooters" uniform!

I applaud Apple for reposting the ad. It is not often that someone makes a commercial that has had such a lasting effect.

23. macrumors regular

yeah i noticed it when she was swinging the hammer or whatever that was.

24. macrumors 65816

autrefois

Maybe that was the whole idea--buy Apple's new software so you can remove the iPod! :)

I agree that adding in the iPod was a poor move. It's clever, but many people (including people who give out awards apparently) consider that ad like a work of art. It makes no sense in the commercial either, as has already been pointed out. It goes from being a sociopolitical/philosophical statement on the part of Apple to a cheap ad.

They should offer online both the real version and the new doctored version IMHO.

25. macrumors newbie

Are we missing something?

Could it be that this Keynote was not that great because there is going to be a commercial for the Super Bowl with something new in it?

Maybe Steve didn't want to get into "premature specification" like with the G5's.

Just a thought.