Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Remember that the iPod isn't just for music. Who can tell what revolutionary information she may be safely storing in her iPod.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by jazman
[Q]Tell you what, since the discussion is so "ridiculous," why don't you not read it? You can go enjoy your new Apple ad instead of calling us names, and we can go on to criticize it. We'll both be happy.[/Q]

I didn't call anyone names. I just stated my opinion that some of the comments were ridiculous. But speaking of names, there is a name for people who can't take a difference of opinion. Now what is it...? Oh yeah! Nevermind

Oops. You are right. You were just commenting on the comments. I got your post mixed up with the "you ungrateful louts" one. Sorry about that.

Now we can both be happy in this discussion:)

I will offer my point: I think the criticism of the people who are criticizing the commercial are pretty ridiculous too :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by amin
Remember that the iPod isn't just for music. Who can tell what revolutionary information she may be safely storing in her iPod.

My big wish for the iPod is that it will have the functionality of the Palm. I'm sure that it will work much more seemlessly with the Mac than the Palm. The need that my wife has is for it to store and download updated medical data. Like drugs and diseases.

juancarloz

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2003
Long Beach
How did they animate the iPod?

I like the ad you guys take this commercial too serious.

It is clear that it is the same female and that a digital iPod was added.

I want to know how it was done

17" Mac Daddy

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
think about it

January 24th is the anniversary, not today January 6th. That is when they'll hit us with something impressive, think about it, the commercial still says "January 24th". They can ad an iPod and amke it look pretty close to legit but they can't take out a title? No no no... I think it was left that way on purpose, but we'll see on the 24th...

brywalker

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
I have to laugh at the bitter irony.

"Big Brother" in that commercial was supposed to represent IBM. Now who is the primary manufacturer and supplier of the chips that run current macintosh systems? IBM.

Also, I find it humorous that someone mentioned that they should have replaced the head with Bill Gates. I dread to think where Apple would be without the financial support they got from such a terrible man....

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
If it ain't broke...

The original ad was classic, and as we all know, regarded as one of the best ads ever. So if you're going to mess with it, do a good job of it. Unfortunately, I don't think Apple did a good job with this remake - the iPod inclusion is pretty cheesy, and cheapens the video in my mind. Ah well, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things I guess!

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by jxyama
i still don't understand why some people can't seem to, dunno, just discuss... yeah, apple's got copyright, blah, blah. it's not like others are complaining to have apple change it. they are just commenting on how they don't like (or like) the changes made.

is it just as "ridiculous" to discuss a movie or a tv show because you don't have control over them? most of likes to discuss about many, many things we have absolutely no control over...

you can present your own differing opinion... that doesn't mean you have to label other's comments as "ridiculous." or take a weird "above all this fluff" attitude and spoil the discussions...

if you think getting a little hotheaded about discussion or having a discussion about not much of anything is stupid, ridiculous or pointless, then hmm, why post to begin with?

You totally misunderstood me.

Where in my post did I state that you can't discuss it? I just stated my OPINION that this is just an ad with corporate messages, and there is nothing sacred about it, artistically, no matter how masterful the production was.

Maybe you really are hotheaded.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by avus
You totally misunderstood me.

Where in my post did I state that you can't discuss it? I just stated my OPINION that this is just an ad with corporate messages, and there is nothing sacred about it, artistically, no matter how masterful the production was.

Maybe you really are hotheaded.

Keep in mind tho, the 1984 commercial was not just important for the Mac devotees, it's important in that it kicked off the Great Superbowl Ad Fest, something we enjoy to this day... So it seems a lot like Apple is tampering with an important piece of history (it's important to us, OK?) just to show off their flashy new toy.

Now, there's no need for namecalling on either side. You can object, or disagree with the objection, without resorting to verbal punches.

paul

krafix

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
Montreal, Canada
Sad

Me too, very sad they even touched it. But the worst is they did it with an iPod. Anything but that. Yes, it's the hype of the moment, but that's the whole point: it could very well turn out to be just the flavor of the year. Apple is very good at letting others become flavor of the century instead. The internet bubble exploded in everyone's face in 99. The online music crazyness is the next bubble around, ready to pop dead. An ad such as 1984 should stay a classic and regarded as such with consideration. Not make it funny with the flavor of the month that might go away. They're making fun of their own classics. Sad.

Ted Witcher

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
I agree some folks here are viewing this spot with too much reverence, though it was an ad classic (for what that's worth) in its original form.

That said, I view the iPod addition two ways: one, it's a good joke. Two, it's entirely consistent with the idea of the ad for her to sport a revolutionary device, not yet released in 1984, which is the harbinger of a New Paradigm. Even the fact that our guerrilla insurrectionist is a woman at all (albeit a blonde in tight shorts with her breasts heaving to and fro -- hey, this is still America) was a fairly progressive statement in its own right twenty years ago.

I wonder what Ridley thinks of the iPod. Scratch that -- actually, I don't care.

soakwashrinse

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
The original definitely says 1/26/84. The new definitely says 1/26/04. Also, the woman pauses for longer after releasing the hammer in the "new" version.

No way. The new version, quite clearly by my eyes, still says 1/26/84. Look again. If you're still not convinced - compare the '8' (that is, what you think is a '0') with the '0' on the next line.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Having never seen the superbowl version (being born 1 year and 11 months later), I came into this ad after viewing only the first page of comments. I think that the iPod is not cheesy at all. The ad could have done without it, but it doesn't look like some bad cg effect. I wasn't even sure it was cg until after electric606's comment. It's a fine ad, and I don't think Apple perminately 'killed it' by distributing it with a new logo and a cg iPod. I'm sure apple didn't "tape over" the first print, and that lady's unobstructed hooters shorts will live on somewhere. Be glad that you can relive the thrill of seeing that ad. That must have been something.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by soakwashrinse
No way. The new version, quite clearly by my eyes, still says 1/26/84. Look again. If you're still not convinced - compare the '8' (that is, what you think is a '0') with the '0' on the next line.

Yeah, it's still an eight. But it does pause for longer on Anya Major after she throws the hammer!

EDIT: That is definitely slow-motion work. There's less time spent on the hammer and more time on the woman. Also, you see a lot of evidence of slow motion--the stormtroopers behind her slow down in this version, but not the original, you can see her hair (and admittedly her breasts) act as if they are in slow motion, bouncing up with the throw but not falling back down into place--clear indications of slow motion.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Originally posted by big
I downloaded the file, and went to play it from my desktop, it then sent me to quicktimes web site, saying I had to have quicktime 5.0.2 or higher..... How bazaar

How did you download it? I've tried using the QuickTime plugin for Mozilla and all I get is a 4 KB file instead of the movie.

humangod

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2003
sac, california
Re: I'm horrified

Originally posted by sosumi99
I can't believe Apple did this. The modification to the ad -- adding the iPod -- is in very poor taste.

Why would the runner be listening to an iPod? It doesn't make any sense. What, the iPod is pumping revolutionary slogans into her ears to harden her resolve? It looks ridiculous.

The runner, who used to be a stark, simple figure of vibrant color in a sea of grey lifeless proletariat workers, now looks like a spoiled brat with a $499 device that she could afford to wear like a bit of jewelry. Ugh. It's both funny and sad, in all the wrong ways.

Is the iPod going up against the conformist domination of the market by some "Big Brother"? No, it has the largest market share of MP3 players and it's hardly the image of some kind creative "rebel".

Tis ad has been turned into a parody by Apple of itself.

"Is the iPod going up against the conformist domination of the market by some "Big Brother"?"

well, itunes and the ipod are kinda hand in hand in apple's eyes. the itunes music store is going up against big brother: the RIAA. the riaa have fought legal online downloading sicne its conception. itunes is the first one to change the way we obtain our music. it is changing the music industry.

i think apple did a good job of adding the ipod.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
I think the major point of the modified ad is that there is something special coming from Apple at the end of the month. I would guess major updates to the PowerMac, updates of other Macs, and possibly a limited edition Mac or a new Mac form factor.

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by Pipian
Can You tell me is it says 1-26-84 or 1-26-04?

Holy ****!

I was advancing through it frame by frame and I swear the numbers are dissolving back and forth between an 8 and a zero. I bet my left nut that the numbers were slightly altered, considering they did such a great CG job with the iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.