Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottgfx

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2002
Fort Myers, FL
Re: insight

Originally posted by electric606
...the original print was lost, and we had to work with a copy of the final assembly, you could see all the splices and tape, dust and hair everywhere, it had just been sitting rotting in a vault for 20 years.

The copy I had came from a 16mm print that my brother got while working at a TV station in 84-85. It was a reel of Addy winners... I wonder if I still have that tape ?

I'm assuming that the iPod was 3D. Do you know what 3D app was used? How was the tracking done? Keyframing by hand, or was some 3D tracker, like Boujou used?

I trying to think of who has a proprietary compositing app... Hmmm. Rhythm & Hues?

NoVi

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2003
Re: I'm horrified

Originally posted by sosumi99
I can't believe Apple did this. The modification to the ad -- adding the iPod -- is in very poor taste.

Why would the runner be listening to an iPod? It doesn't make any sense. What, the iPod is pumping revolutionary slogans into her ears to harden her resolve? It looks ridiculous.

The runner, who used to be a stark, simple figure of vibrant color in a sea of grey lifeless proletariat workers, now looks like a spoiled brat with a $499 device that she could afford to wear like a bit of jewelry. Ugh. It's both funny and sad, in all the wrong ways.

Is the iPod going up against the conformist domination of the market by some "Big Brother"? No, it has the largest market share of MP3 players and it's hardly the image of some kind creative "rebel".

Tis ad has been turned into a parody by Apple of itself.

Yes, exactly the same thoughts over here. OK, so they have developed the 21st century Walkman...

but should that be a reason to mess with the ad?

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
1984/04

I've watched the new version of the ad like 10 times and i don't see what you all are talking about with the 04/84 distinction... where is the date even formatted with slashes??

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Definitive proof of an alteration

I am reasonable sure the date was digitally altered in way that it flickers back and forth between a zero and a 8.

04.jpg

soakwashrinse

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Interesting Sir_Giggles... although I'm still not convinced. :)

The '0/8' in the first picture still looks like an '8' to me - there appears to be (by my eyes) the slight hint of two cusps roughly in the middle of the figure, and the cusps seem to connect to form an '8'. Also, the '0' below seems to be rounder.

macMaestro

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Re: How did they animate the iPod?

Originally posted by juancarloz
I like the ad you guys take this commercial too serious.

It is clear that it is the same female and that a digital iPod was added.

I want to know how it was done

An Apple Product - Shake

It could have been something else, but since Shake's the market leader, and an Apple Product, that would seem to be the most likely guess.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
You know, I don't know what to think of the new commercial. It's cool it's back, but it sucks that they added an iPod. It just seems *wierd*.....

jazman

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Do you have QuickTime Pro (the paid version)? If not, you can't download things from the web unfortunately. If you do have it, click on the triangle on the far right of the controls under the video.

You don't need QTPro to download any movie on the web. You just need to know where to find it and that info can be obtained in the source code. You can grab it here:

1984.mov

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by the_mole1314
You know, I don't know what to think of the new commercial. It's cool it's back, but it sucks that they added an iPod. It just seems *wierd*.....

I don't know. It means she's choosing not to listen to the double speak and listen to her own tunes instead ;)

Makes more sense to me, actually.

D

jazman

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
You don't need QTPro to download any movie on the web. You just need to know where to find it and that info can be obtained in the source code. You can grab it here:

1984.mov

Sorry. I left out a couple of steps. Click on the 1984.mov link. Once the movie finishes loading, choose File>Save As.. Then save it anywhere you like.

1984.mov

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The addition of the iPod and the changing dates (?) might symbolize the fact that this ad is something new, and they're not just re-hashing an old ad for our entertainment. Perhaps a new apple form-factor is on the way, which made for (in some of your opinions) a dull keynote.

macMaestro

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by jazman

Sorry. I left out a couple of steps. Click on the 1984.mov link. Once the movie finishes loading, choose File>Save As.. Then save it anywhere you like.

1984.mov

Or you can just option-click the link if you're in Safari.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by macMaestro
Or you can just option-click the link if you're in Safari.

all this does is that it saves the movie as a link to the streaming video source. it's not a self-contained movie. to get the movie itself, i think you need QT Pro. afterall, it's one of the selling points of QT Pro... it might be hackable, but i haven't seen how.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I have the paid version, though in the unpaid version, can you open a movie from an URL?

from Quicktime....
go to "FILE", then "Open URL in new movie"

after it loads, I am able to do a "save as" and it asks if you want it to be a self-contained movie or link....

jazman

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
all this does is that it saves the movie as a link to the streaming video source. it's not a self-contained movie. to get the movie itself, i think you need QT Pro. afterall, it's one of the selling points of QT Pro... it might be hackable, but i haven't seen how.

Those sneaky Apple people. As it turns out, that movie is made with LiveStage Pro which gives interactivity to QT. So when you download it, it launches that QTPro page.

However, what I said before is still correct. If you know the pathway and directory which is generally in the source code, you can download anything with basic QT. I do it all the time. I have a library of downloaded movies that I use as creative resourses. I wouldn't call it a hack either. It's just something that the casual browser doesn't know.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by jazman

Those sneaky Apple people. As it turns out, that movie is made with LiveStage Pro which gives interactivity to QT. So when you download it, it launches that QTPro page.

However, what I said before is still correct. If you know the pathway and directory which is generally in the source code, you can download anything with basic QT. I do it all the time. I have a library of downloaded movies that I use as creative resourses. I wouldn't call it a hack either. It's just something that the casual browser doesn't know.

nice! it's not a "hack" but it's a nice work around...

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
The iPod was probably added in live. They probably got a model that is shapped like our hammer lady. They put her in a green screen and a green outfit, filmed her, took the iPod out and added it in to the commercial. Add lighting to the iPod and it's done.

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
Re: Sad

Originally posted by krafix
Me too, very sad they even touched it. But the worst is they did it with an iPod. Anything but that. Yes, it's the hype of the moment, but that's the whole point: it could very well turn out to be just the flavor of the year. Apple is very good at letting others become flavor of the century instead. The internet bubble exploded in everyone's face in 99. The online music crazyness is the next bubble around, ready to pop dead. An ad such as 1984 should stay a classic and regarded as such with consideration. Not make it funny with the flavor of the month that might go away. They're making fun of their own classics. Sad.

So maybe on Jan 26 the iPod is a thing of the past - enter something new?

Steve did say it would be a great year.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
hooters...

Hooters, lol. No thats marketing by the bulge of your pants.

Now I do hope that the iPod Mini does support all of the OS refinements and add-ons as the iPod!!!!

I've got an Intel computer with QuikTime 6.5, though not pro. I've been trying to save this movie ad with all of the directions to NO avail and its driving me insane!!!

Can anyone post it on their server and email me the link to that file on their server so that I may download it PLEASE!!!!

I promise I'll have a Mac by end of summer 2004!!!!

Seriously though I love the product and the company....I've already set summer 2004 as my deadline of owning a Mac, or my Dull is dead-end-of-line!!!!

I also hope Apple aspires for the G5 to be in all of its products by the end of this year!!!

Happy Anniversary Macintosh!!!

macMaestro

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by jxyama

I was refering to the link posted above. But yes, very sneaky apple not letting us download it. I guess I should have tested it before I posted.

Doh! :rolleyes:

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by holmesf
They went and added an iPod without any mention.

Dare I say "How Orwellian?"

Actually, Jobs noted the change with the comment "We just had to" after showing it yesterday.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by Kingsnapped
The addition of the iPod and the changing dates (?) might symbolize the fact that this ad is something new, and they're not just re-hashing an old ad for our entertainment. Perhaps a new apple form-factor is on the way, which made for (in some of your opinions) a dull keynote.

I did not find this Keynote to be dull at all. His statistics on Apples sales was very interesting. I thought that the highlight was the Xserve, iPod, and most especially the iLife. The demonstration of GarageBand was awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.