20th Anniversary Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    So its been thrown about in the rumors and we're all sort of expecting it soon (this week even).

But I have one concern. The last Anniv. Mac was a collectors item, way overpriced and not meant for the average user.

Steve and Apple wouldn't do that to us again, would they? Put a G5 in an iMac and ask 10k? That would be a backwards step if you ask me.

I'm hoping that they release a new set of G5 PMs that allow for a single CPU G5 iMac that's affordable.

Any thoughts?

2. slowtreme macrumors 6502

May 27, 2003
    Tampa FL
    If they made an anniversary machine, I think it would be a completely overpriced collector type machine. I think that's the point of anniversary items (Cars, collectibles, etc.) They are limited edition products extravegently created for to sole purpose showing off how long something has been around. Somewhere, someone that really likes your company (not the specific product) has the disposable income to blow on your anniversary flight of fancy.

I think this is unlikely for apple at this time though.

The other option for an event like this is a mass produced cheap item. Maybe something like a colored non-mini iPod. We know that apple can now produce colored cases, what if they had a classic beige color iPod, heh.

Either way, if they release anything I expect it to be totally gimmick, and probably not something I'd need. But we'd all want it anyway, just becuase we are fans, not users.
  3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I'd love to see a 20th anniversary Mac that anyone could afford. Maybe even a headless iMac with a G5 in it, or something completely unheard of. Hopefully this will be a good a year and a year when we get a cool new Mac!
  4. voicegy macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    I'm still hoping for SOMETHING that comes out this year that reflects the dual anniversary. However, it can't be a 20th Anniversary Mac, as there already was one. It would have to be a 25th Anniversary Mac, or a 20th Anniversary Apple Computer of-some-sort.

I'm not holding my breath. Although I'd easily go into debt for such a device (limited edition, signed, blow-your-socks-off wild amazing design, gold plated doo-dad whatever) it really isn't the economic climate for such a thing, as drool worthy as it may be. And the previous 20th Anniversary Mac (which celebrated 20 years of Apple Computer) was not done under Steve's watch, so he may snub such an idea for a 25th right off the bat.

One can hope.
  5. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    I don't think the Apple of today can expend the resources to make a special computer. The TAM was not only overpriced, it was also underpowered, besides.

Maybe we'll see those mini iPods with stripes after all.:cool:
  6. Flickta macrumors 6502

Nov 20, 2002
    Born in USSR
    They can just make a G5 iMac (funny. "just a G5 iMac") and call it 20 anniv. Macintosh. Marketing. It doesn't have to be a collectors item. Minor revision, nothing more.