20th anniversary Macintosh in 2004?

Discussion in 'Community' started by BrandonRP0123, Sep 16, 2003.

1. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular

When the ``20th anniversary Macintosh'' was touted in the mid-90s it was a celebration of Apple's 20 years of business.

On January 24th, 2004 the Macintosh itself will be 20 years old.

Since the date is so important in history - it's likely Apple will not let it go un-noticed.

As long as a) It doesn't cost over $7000, and b) if it does, Steve brings it to you himself.

2. iGav macrumors G3

Re: 20th anniversary Macintosh in 2004?

it wouldn't make sense to release another 20th Anniversary Mac, as that would get confusing....

I don't see them doing it personally.... although expect the usual... "Bring back the Cube" replies in this thread.. :rolleyes: :p :p

3. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Bring back the cube!!! :p

I don't think they'll release a new "20th Anniversary Mac", but they'll probably do something to celebrate the anniversary.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

couldnt resist either, bring back the cube or build a cube like device for the home user wanting style,power & smaller size and one that wont be restricted/constricted like apple allways does on the consumer machines. The cube was the coolest they ever made.

5. zim macrumors 65816

zim

They could a special edition iPod, more people would likely splurge on an iPod then a special edition anniversary mac.

6. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Re: Re: 20th anniversary Macintosh in 2004?

Yes bring back the cube!!!!!!!

But at a price thats right. It should be about the same price as an iMac, but have the following specs.

1.6 Ghz-2Ghz G5 (single)
    1 8xAGP slot with Geforce FX5200 or Radeon 9600pro
    1 PCI-X slot
    256MB-2GB of PC3200 RAM

But I expect if Apple does release a special Mac, it will be very expensive and fast. I am expecting a Dual G5 iMac type machine.

7. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: 20th anniversary Macintosh in 2004?

If they do release something, I'd figure it'd be something like a limited iMac as well!

That said, I'd much prefer to see what Ives could do with a blank sheet of paper... revisiting the Cube, would be in my humble, fellow creative designer opinion a step back... Apple has always been, and always should be, about looking forward and innovating.

Going back to the Cube would go against these ethics!

G

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yes, bring back the Cube! I could have sworn I heard it was almost solid that SE iPods and Panther will be coming out of Paris, but I guess not. But I suppose Panther will still be here by Christmas, and SE iPods can still be a good anniversary celebration for all Mac enthusists everywhere. I don't have the money for one now, but if it is a special edition, I might have to save up some Christmas cash and finally get one if they were to come out.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I want a cube so bad...

It would be perfect for me.

I am right in between an iMac and a G5 with my work load. A cube would be the perfect solution.

scem0

10. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Releasing a new and innovative product of some sort in honor of the anniversary = good idea.

Releasing another stratospherically priced "anniversary Mac" that costs as much as a car = bad idea. And I hope they don't go that road again, because this is not the moment to be reinforcing the idea that Macs are expensive machines meant for an elite that can afford to drop the yearly income of a poverty-level family on a pretty computer.

A special edition iPod would be cool, but a totally new design of some kind of hardware would be better.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree, not a good idea to produce another "20th Anniversary Mac." It would be confusing for those that are not Mac Geeks! The idea of a machine at $7,000 would not make for a great image for Apple. I wouild have no interest in the concept.

I'm ambivalent about a release of the Cube. Personally would not purchase.

I agree with others, the iPod special edition idea sounds great! :cool:

12. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Remember the rumor (or was it not rumor?) that Apple had already bought Superbowl air time.

Expect something.

13. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

How about bringing back the original iMac Bondi Blue and everything. But instead of a 233MHz G3, how about dual G5's? Make it a sleeper so people go, "oh its just an imac" until you fire it up. I'd say its a much better choice than the cube since the original iMac saved apple, the cube was just a headache (financially speaking).

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont expect a cube, but maybe a cube like or some new home pro/consumer model with a single 2 gig g5 & ati 9800, wireless keyboard & mouse wrapped up in some cool Translucent plastics. Hey if your going to dream it might as well be big.

15. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

If they do have a 20th Anniversary Mac planned, I'd expect it to be some kind of design we haven't seen before, like the '97 TAM. It will look sexy, probably cost a ton, and in two years probably be obsolete. :rolleyes:

16. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

[screams]"I want a "mojave G3"-cube for $500"[/screams]

:eek: ;) :D

vSpacken

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd buy that! Forget the Cube, forget the really expensive underpowered eye-candy, a cheaper Mac would be really unexpected. A computer "for the rest of us", that people can actually afford.

(And by cheaper I meant less expensive, not lower quality)

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well now that I just ordered a new PowerBook, I hope not to see a radically amazing new anniversary Mac! Well, I would, because I know I wouldn't be able to afford it, anyway. I have no clue what Apple will do, but I am sure something special will come out. Knowing Apple, it will amaze everyone since they sure know how to capture the industry's heart/eye like no one else.

19. Macco macrumors regular

Generally speaking, the two are equivalent. As price goes down, quality inevitably goes down. Well, perhaps not inevitably. But probably. That's exactly why apple doesn't make a 400 dollar computer -- because they know that for that amount of money they couldn't make it high-quality enough.

20. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

do you really want to tell me that Apple couldn't make a headless iBook without the screen in a cube-like form factor, with a cheaper 3.5" HD instead of the 2.5", and without mouse and keys for 500 bucks, at the same quality...

yeah right :rolleyes:

vSpacken

21. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Cheap mac possible but not very profitable

Hogwash! An eMac without the CRT component would be dirt-cheap. Having said that, Apple would not make that much money from each unit sold. It would also look bad for Apple if people saw OS X running on crappy VGA monitors (like the PowerMac I use at work).

As for the Mac anniversary, Steve Jobs hosted a funeral on-stage for OS 9 so next year he might be hosting a birthday party. Seriously, bring back the Cube.

22. iGav macrumors G3

I find it funny about the whole Cube thing... when they were available no one bought them.... now they aren't and everyone seems to want one.... :p :p :p

Personally I'd love to see Ive given a blank sheet of paper, and let him do his stuff.... not merely revisit a previous design. That isn't being creative, or original, it's being retrospective, and retro in completely the wrong way.

If Apple were to produce a machine to celebrate (and I don't think they will) then I'd like to see it as the company flagship, it should harness every single last drop of Apple innovation and technology.

It should be produced to the highest standards possible and be a showcase of Apple at their most creative and innovative. Of course such a machine will be expensive, although I think they will have learnt from the previous 20th experience, but if the machine really does push the boundaries further, and begins to even scratch the surface of tomorrows computing experience, then it will sell. It would be fantastic to maybe give a glimpse of what the future of computing could be, in a similar way to both the original Mac and the iMac did.

That would be a fantastic way of acknowledging past achievements, and future successes.

Producing a headless iBook or eMac... well really... it's sacrilege isn't it, and I'd expect more from Apple per se.

23. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

This would be THE dream 20th Anniversary Macintosh:

Dual 3 GHz G5, 1.5 GHz bus per processor.
    533 MHz RAM, 8 GB
    2x500 GB SATA hard drives
    512 MB (as there will inevitably be by next year) GPU
    TWO AGP (16x pro?) Slots
    Six PCI-X slots
    SuperDrive
    Free 3.5" & 5.25" Bays

Anything I'm forgetting?

24. beer macrumors newbie

I would love a dual G5 2Ghz ipod... :) as a 20th anniversity ....

25. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I did not buy a Cube the first time around because it was ridiculously overpriced...

I don't think that offering a fanless entry level box for switchers, as a secondary family computer, and as a nice home network server can be seen as a sacrilege...

I actually don't care if it comes in the Cube form-factor. as iGav said, give Ive a blank sheet of paper and let him design a case around the following features:

my dream 20th Anniversary Mac v2.0:
    - a 1.25Ghz Gobi or Mojave (unlikely...) G3
    - Fanless
    - 4xAGP slot
    - 60GB 3.5"HD
    - CD-R
    - 2 USB 1.1 ports
    - 1 FW400 port
    - normal Airport ready
    - ethernet port
    - comes without keyboard, mouse, speakers
    - bundled with Apple Works