20th high school reunion

Discussion in 'Community' started by leekohler, Jul 29, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well- I'm going back to Ohio for my class reunion in a few hours. I'm pretty excited. I actually went to school with some pretty cool people, so it should be fun- despite the fact that I'll be in Ohio. Anybody else going to a reunion this year?

2. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

I recently went to my 20th. It was fun, but it made me feel old. :eek:

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? Why? Was it because everyone had kids and such?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

@#%* -- and I'm coming up on the 30th. Jeez, how am I supposed to feel now... ;)

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Grandkids...

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You're only as old as you feel! :) Really though- I don't look too different from high school- better actually. So hopefully I won't feel too old. :)

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- I guess this is quite the dull topic. :)

But seriously, does anybody have any strange experiences or stories about reunions they've been to? Or advice, caution, etc?

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Maybe it's just a slow time for reunions.

I went with my wife to her 20th last year (mine is in 2 years) and it was kind of boring - mainly since I didn't know many people from her school days (I grew up a couple hundred miles away). According to her, many people changed pretty significantly.

I've never actually been to one of my reunions - the first one we were closing on our new house that weekend, and really couldn't get away (it was a trip back). I'm going to try and make the 20th, though.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm supposed to go to my 5th this year, they even included "significant others" on the invite just for my gay self, but *cough* if i wanted to see these people again, i wouldn't have moved away after graduation... maybe 10 or 20 years, we'll see.

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I know a lot of us gay people had a bad time in HS, but I guess I was lucky. It got more than made up for when I came out. NEVER want to go there again.

Also, everyone I went HS with also left the state. We definitely ran away from a place- not people.

12. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

My 10th year H.S. reunion is this September, and although I loathed high school and most of the people I went to school with, I'm actually considering going, mainly out of morbid curiosity to see whatever became of all those jerks...

Anyway, I got an e-mail a while back from the people who were organizing it, and they sent this list of names of the students they had been unable to track down, and I laughed like hell reading those names and remembering about all these people I haven't given so much as a moment's thought to in the past 10 years.

So, hope you had fun at your reuinion Leekholer. But I just have to ask... were you one of the "cool kids", or were you an outcast (like I was)?
    :D

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

This would go down probably as one of my regrets, that I walked away from High School, and never looked back. Sure, there were occasional contacts from out of the blue, but nothing which attracted me to try and return to a reunion. As the class pres., I was to have organized the events over the years, but relegated it to those who remained local and were enthusiastic about it. I still may make an effort to go in years to come if in the country, but it just hasn't been a priority.
    P.S. CanadaRAM, I have you by 10 so keep both chins up. We're getting better :cool:
    X

14. msbsound macrumors regular

10th

My 10 year is tonight(saturday) and I am not going despite prying from the 2 people I still talk to. Every once and a while I waver back to regret, but I don't really have a desire to talk to any of the people I went highschool with. Maybe I am alone in that thought.

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Keep up both of my chins??

Whatyousayin, dude?

:D :D

I was a nerd in HS (chess club, y'understand, was not the social perk that the rugby squad was...) -- remember that Aerosmith song... "was a high-school loser never made it with the ladies?" Uh Huh.

Funny enough I ended up organizing the 20th and 25th (the guy with the computer and the websites, nerd makes good, right?) and doing that was actually a fufilling experience. I could relate to the jocks and chicks and nerds and everyone else on an equal basis - so that went a ways to exorcising some bad memories for me.

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The beard, the beard :D :D
    X

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

'bout my sentiments too and my 10 year is next year.

Lethal

18. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Cool i just arrived from a dinner/reunion from my school. There was a guy dating back from 1937 :eek:

19. iGary Guest

iGary

My 20th is in a few years. Haven't gone to the first three, probably not going to the 20th.

Well maybe.

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"When I think of all the crap I learned in high school......"
    X

21. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...not to put a damper on your enthusiasm (and not that it should)...but I would not go anywhere near my old high school and have absolutely no desire to see any of the losers that shared my time there. I hated being there...I graduated with an average of about 80% but learned basically nothing except that to be in any way "different" invites the general population to show their worst narrow-minded traits...what a meaningless waste of time it was and I could not wait to get oiut of there....oh yeah!

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Heh... nobody has seen MY chin since 1981, not even my wife. If I ever want to do a runner, I just have to shave it off, slip in the contact lenses and bingo! new identity.

'Course all it would take is for me to overhear on the street somewhere "I just got some PC133 RAM for my iBook G4" and I wouldn't be able to stop myself -- the cover would be blown.

Come to think of it, in that case HS reunion is the last place I'd want to be seen because those are about the only people who could identify me naked-chinned.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Kind of a bit of both. I got along with most people, but I got bullied by a few too. I was never really part of any group- I kind of floated around them all. So, I guess I'm not really sure how to answer that question. I can tell you I had a really good time my last few years there.

BTW- the reunion was a blast!

24. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Glad to hear it went well! I skipped my 10th and from all accounts that was for the best. My 20th is coming up in just a few more years, though, and I guess I might go back for that one. Or not.

You know, what I really want is for someone to organize a class reunion where only the people I'm interested in seeing are invited. ;)

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I skipped my 10th too. The funny thing is- I liked seeing everybody, no matter who they were.