22" Cinema Display??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stvli, Aug 28, 2004.

1. stvli macrumors newbie

Just curious how much would a Apple 22inch Cinema Display fetch for (£) and would it be worth upgrading from that to a new 23" Cinema Display?

Thanks

2. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Apple never made a 22 inch display. They made a 23 inch and a 20 inch, but definitely no 22 inch. A 23 inch display will get about £660.00, and a 20 inch £500.00. Hope this helps.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Um... yes they did.

Best thing to do is to check around eBay and local resellers for what it's going for. Something's only worth what people are going to pay for it (sorry I couldn't be more help). It's probably not worth it to upgrade though unless you need the extra pixels, or an HD display. The FireWire and USB 2 are nice, but if you just run it at it's native res and use USB 1 devices, the extra inch wouldn't be worth the added cost.

That being said, the 23"ers are very nice, and if you can afford one, go ahead and buy it. Life is short. :p

4. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Yes, they definitely did because I remember wondering how one would justify the extra 800 bucks (or whatever the price difference was) for that extra inch. I agree that you should check out eBay.

Squire
    ---------------------------
    Features:
    Designed for Power Mac G4
    1,600 x 1,024 resolution
    160-degree viewing angle
    Wide 16:10 aspect ratio
    Large 22-inch design; view 2 A4 pages simultaneously

Attached Files:

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That extra inch gives you HD resolution, so I'd say that makes all the difference to quite a few people out there.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Uh, yes they did. Have one. Works great.

When I purchased my 22 inch, it cost $2,500. Price just dropped from $4,000. The price drop was due to the introduction of the new 23 inch display.

It was a tough decision. However, in my case, since I do more reading and manipulating of text/numbers vice video/pictures, I opted for the 22 inch because the individual pixels where slightly bigger. Never have regretted that decision.

Sushi

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think it depends on what you are going to do with your display. In other words, are you going to display video/pictures or text/numbers? And if you are going to do video/pictures, are you interested in HD?

If so, then maybe go for the new 23 inch.

Personally, I think I would go with 2 x 20 inch displays vice a 23 inch one.

Athough I would preface this statement by saying I would want to see a 30 inch display first before I made a decision.

I my case, while the new displays look cool (20 and 23 inch as I haven't seen the 30 yet) I am still partial to my 22 inch.

As for pricing, eBay is one place to look. Another might be your local MUG, if there is one.

Sushi

8. stvli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your comments, just checked out ebay and its selling for around 700-800 pounds. I mainly deal with the Graphics side like DTP and Photoshop and do some video editting... but the 22" is real nice, so hard to decide.

9. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Then I wonder what I am using. :eek:

10. budaapple macrumors regular

22' pricing

I sold a 22" in perfect shape on ebay for $800 us since all the relases since then it still retained a decent value but not near what i thought but then displays do not last forever and the 22" had pixel fade problems as was why it was replaced so quickly.
    Good Luck

11. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I got the new 23" display and its really good, the footprint is small which helps me a lot since i need space on my desk. If you dont need to buy it dont but its a good product. Try to sell the old one to cover some of the costs.

P.S Go for it

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

URL please.

TIA,

Sushi

13. morkintosh macrumors regular

I don't think the 22" was HD like the 23", so there was more than just 1" you were paying for.

14. numark macrumors member

Here's one page I found through Google where a place with a large installation of 22" displays had major problems.

Click Here

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks for the info.

I've been using my 22 inch Cinema Display for a few years. It's still working fine.

So based on this article, where it states that the screens go bad after one year, maybe I don't have to worry about this particular problem. Siince I did not buy an early model it is possible that they fixed this particular problem.

How about others with 22 inch Cinema Displays. Any problems like in this article?

Sushi

16. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

my 22" does not have any of the problems that you mentioned and this moniter is one of the first ones that came out. And to answer a previous question, the 22" is not HD.

17. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I also have a 22" ACD. Works well enough for me!

18. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Hi, I used to work with a 22" display g4 setup on Final Cut and Photoshop, and now that I own a new 23" display, there is just no comparison. It puts the 22" to shame. That's a fairly old panel by this point...LCD tech seems to have improved quite a bit.

19. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

They seem to go for about £800 in the UK and I reckon it'd be worth the upgrade, especially if (as in my case) the edu discount applies, but I just can't bring myself to part with the cash! Personally, I'm waiting for a good s/h old-skool 23" to replace my 22", which has been awesome but now seems a bit short on real estate.

20. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

You have got to be kidding. The 22" is still better than ALOT of lcd displays that are JUST coming out.