23 ACD and backlight flicker

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by solidbreakz, Sep 26, 2005.

1. solidbreakz macrumors regular

I've had my 23" Cinema Display exactly 371 days. Last night I noticed a slight but consistent flickering of the backlight at the top 1/4 of the display once it got warmed up. Funny as this happened JUST after my warranty expired (figures). Anyone ever experience this? ..and if so, how much would it cost to repair?

oh.. thanks.

2. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Sometimes if you bought by credit card they "extend" your nomral product warrenty. depends on your credit card. It's one of those perks noone uses.

3. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

4. solidbreakz thread starter macrumors regular

5. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Also, I'd also like to mention that renters or homeowners insurance, might also include warrenty extension, sometimes its an extra cost, sometimes not.

I would check with these. After all, you are already paying for it.

6. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Call Apple, I is likely they will help you in that it broke just a few days after the warranty expired. I think they'll give you some leeway.

7. solidbreakz thread starter macrumors regular

Well Apple denied me a warranty repair. I went to Tekserve in NYC, and even as a former employee, they slammed me with a total acd cost estimate for repair. Guess what? Apple has changed their policy for ACD repairs to COMPLETE unit replacement. I confirmed this by calling the Apple Depot in TX with the same story. They quoted a 'Tier' repair/replacment, which in my experience confirms that if I want this repaired I'm gonna have to do it myself or shell out my $$ for a DELL display. I'd rather fix the ACD.

Problem is:

There's no Service Manuals available for the Aluminum display series on the AppleCare Service Source site. Which leads me to my next question...

Can anyone provide me a URL with a Aluminum Cinema Display Take-apart

thanks.

8. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Have you tried to see if you have extended coverage per inforamation listed above? I assume by not mentioning it, you don't, but I wouldn't give up on this sort of thing.

9. solidbreakz thread starter macrumors regular

I called VISA today, asking them about any extra protection or warranty coverage on items purchased. I paid with my VISA check card which withdrew full funds from my account. VISA therefore says, since it wasn't a true credit transaction, they won't cover a dime.

I also live in an apartment...so no homeowners insurance either...

Which therefore brings me back to my original question:

Can anyone provide me a URL with a Aluminum Cinema Display Take-apart?

10. solidbreakz thread starter macrumors regular

I find it all kind of amusing. My ACD never suffered from the pink haze or dead pixel clusters that many complained about with the first batch of displays released (I bought mine a month after they appeared in stores). I've scoured the net and have found NO mention of the issues my ACD is experiencing, at least in the aluminum displays.

11. solidbreakz thread starter macrumors regular

Any links? please? This flickering is driving me mad. I'm starting to feel like my eyes are twitching...ackk...help. take-apart...plz!!!

12. Spybreak macrumors newbie

Hi, Im looking for the same thing. I need to take it apart to clean some stains that I believe are on the inside of the display and I cant find any way of taking it apart.

I remember there was a chinese or japanese website where a guy disassembled one, but I cant find it anymore. If anyone could help, it would be great. Thanks.

13. solidbreakz thread starter macrumors regular

Well I know of KODAWARISAN, a Japanese mac site with lots of detailed take-aparts, but I've never seen an aluminum ACD take-apart featured on the site. I haven't taken a look at that site in a while though...gonna dig deep into it right now.

I think that the most tricky part is separating the plastic side inserts from the display to slide out the LCD unit. After that, it may be smooth sailing. From what I hear, minus the connection bundle for FW/USB/DVI/PWR, the inner workings of the aluminum displays is considerably more easy to work with than that found in the older lucite-based displays.

14. solidbreakz thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I haven't found anything useful. Looks like I'm gonna just have to roll up my sleeves and take it apart myself....with no guide.

sounds like fun... :rolleyes:

15. Spybreak macrumors newbie

well if you manage to do it, please post a small how-to guide. At least the basic steps. Thanks :)