23" ACD as television/DVD viewer?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by revoted, Oct 18, 2006.

1. revoted macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2006
    I don't have a tv, but have been thinking about getting a tuner and 23" ACD and using it as a tv when not using my computer. Knowing how much higher the resolution is, how far would I need to sit to watch it fullscreen and how bad would it look when compared to a standard 36/42" plasma/lcd?
  2. MacCurry macrumors 6502

Aug 28, 2006
    The general rule of thumb for 1080i, 720p (HDTV) or 480p (DVD) material is 2 times the diagonal size.

Therefore, a 23" ACD means you have to sit back 46" or roughly 4 feet to be at optimum viewing distance. In reality if your're watching TV you could probably sit a bit closer without problem.

The ACD settings for brightness and contrast is for your Mac and not for ATSC or NTSC material. So, it may require that you adjust brightness and contrast. Unfortunately, the ACD only has brightness adjustment on the monitor controls.

How are you planning to do this? With the new Elgato EyeTV USB tuner that Apple is now selling?
  3. revoted thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2006
    Other than sports, I don't have much interest in TV, so my primary focus will be DVD and iTS viewing. I'm likely to be tempted by one of the Elgato products, though.

What I'd love to see is the ability to connect the ACD to the iTV directly via DVI--though that isn't supported, is it? Maybe the next ACD revision will contain a HDMI port. Or, am I completely off base?