23" ACD image burn when using Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by millerrh, Jan 16, 2007.

1. millerrh macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    I've had a 23" Cinema display now for quite some time with no issues. Today I was using Windows under Boot Camp for a period of maybe 4 hours and all of my visible windows that didn't move were distinctly burned into my monitor!

I switched back over to OS X and they were still there but seem to be fading now. Quite the scare and makes me not want to use Windows anymore! Anyone have any idea how this could be happening or how to prevent it?

Also, the windows haven't completely faded. Is there some way to shake the pixels back to life? Like some color to make the screen to make it go back entirely to normal?
  2. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    Display drivers for C2D MPB messed up?

While using Boot Camp/Windows for the first time today, I discovered the images on the screen burned into my 23" cinema display after only 4 hours of use!

I've never had this issue before when using OS X. In fact, now that I switched back over to OS X, the burned-in ghosted windows seem to be fading away.

Makes me think that the drivers used for Windows are outputting too strong of a DVI signal or something. Anyone have any idea?
  3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    You have a severe case of ghosting. I would say use a screensaver to make all sorts of colours and shapes or play a pretty intisive game and it should go away (even if you don't do this!). Good Luck
  4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Its not burned in, its ghosted and will go away with use. That said, I would suggest.

1. Use a screensaver
    2. reduce brightness
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    It takes much, much longer than 4 hours for burn-in to occur, especially on an LCD.
  6. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    what were you doing during those four hours? namely what was the display displaying?
  7. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    I realize it is only ghosting now. Scare is over. But why the stark contrast between when the same display is used on Windows vs. OS X. I don't get ghosting when using OS X for many many hours. Yet just a few hours with Windows and I thought I somehow broke my monitor at first.

Now it's just curiosity on my part trying to figure why there would be a difference between the OS's.

All I was doing was working in a few different apps at once: Internet Explorer, our company's part management software, and Lotus notes. I didn't move those three windows around much at all, so when I did something different, all three windows were ghosted.
  8. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    There's nothing that the OS would be doing to cause ghosting, I think it's purely a hardware issue. Maybe the brightness levels were different or something?
  9. Tangerine macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2007
    I'm sorry to say this but look like your LCD is a defect. I have several people experience with the ghosting effect on their Apple LCD. Most of them from later production date. I thought Apple fix it but I guess not. I have also purchase a 23 Apple LCD and notice the ghosting effect as well. It took awhile to convince them, but they did check it out and refund the full amount of money for me. I know there is Apple LCD out there that doesn't have ghosting. But I'm not going to gamble with it, since it's a $1,000 display.
  10. klaus macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    The correct term is not ghosting, it's image persistancy. Ghosting is when you see fading trials in moving images on an lcd. With the faster response times this is no longer an issue.

The image persistancy on the apple 23" is extremely bad. I have a 2 year old 23" which shows a minor issue, but a few months ago I went through 3 23" displays that had this issue, i ended up getting a refund cause it was just too bad.

I know of an agency who returned their 10 new 23" displays in favor of the 20".

Apple needs to take care of this, especially considering the higher prices they sell them.