23" ACD safe to buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iRhyknow, Jan 20, 2007.

1. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

I just turned 30 on 1/09 and out of pity ;) my wife is letting me get whatever I want (within reason for us). Hello MBP and Cinema Display combo! While I would LOVE to get the 30" ACD it is a little expensive. Fortunately the 30" wont fit in my desk area so I don't have to be overly concerned with that. So next in line is the 23" and it would fit just perfectly :) .

I know the Dell 24" is very highly recommended here, and for seemingly good reason. However, I really just want it to match my freshly ordered refurbed 15.4 MBP CD (silly as that may be :D).

I just remember seeing a lot of threads about the pink tint and backlight bleeding problems on the 23" ACD, and am very worried about getting one like that :(.

Oh and yes, it is late but I was in Dallas on the 9th hoping the iPhone would be released during the Keynote and I was going to buy it that day at a Apple store :cool: .

2. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Well done on not being swayed by the dell. They are great value for money - but I went the Apple route myself, and 'tis a thing of great beauty!!

So, I'm very happy with my ACD and I know of many people who are. You tend to hear more problems with machines than you do plusses so take it with a pinch of salt regarding problems. The percentage chance you will have an issue is considerably less than it appears from perusing the boards for example.

Regardless, if you're unhappy you can take the display back so always have that facility.

I say go grab one and enjoy it! I just wish I could get a second...

3. pedserdoc macrumors newbie

23" Acd

RhyKnow - I purchased a 23" ACD in November 2006 and am extremely happy with the monitor. I've noticed no pink tint and insignificant backlight bleed seen only with a black background. Having said that, new ACDs (likely with built-in iSight) are likely on or before the WWDC conference (August 7th) along with new Mac Pros.

Good luck with your purchase!

4. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

i say go for it now cause you will likely run into no problems.. and there's nothing wrong with wanting to have your products match :p

5. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Looks like we've got an answer here. ;)

6. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Maybe a good idea to wait until the product line is updated?

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I've got a 23' ACD at home and a friend just bought one also. Both are stunning, and flawless. There are always updates around the corner but there's no reason not to buy the current ACD's, IMHO.

The MBP's, on the other hand, I'm waiting for :p

8. FireArse macrumors 6502a

second iteration....

arent we on the second iteration of the current cinema displays?

Arent the new ones brighter? I have a 23' and bought it slap bang in the middle of the 'pink hue' saga knowing exactly what i was getting myself in for.

I bought Applecare for total piece of mind. I'm colourblind so the hue issue isn't a problem for me.

However, recently i discovered a way to clearly show the problem. Maximise iTunes, and you'll see the bars highlighting each song fade on the left corner of the screen. I ignored it, but when I played a dvd in full screen, I noticed a yellow-ish area.

I absolutely love the thing. It is my pride and joy. I spent a lot of money on it!

I think when I make the time, I'll take it in to Apple and hope they replace the screen with one of the new fancy ones. :)

F

9. keeneye macrumors newbie

tim mota is a thief

Do not buy anything from this guy!

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would not wait at all and it seems as though it's "safe" to buy so go for it.
    8 months is a long time to wait to see if Apple is going to impress or disappoint again (MWSF 2007).

11. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

There's no safe time to buy anything IMO. If you've the money, really want it and need it, then go for it. ;)

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

:confused:

13. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

You've got three posts, and this is one of them. :confused: :confused: :confused: