23 acd to return or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DJTJ, Sep 12, 2006.

1. DJTJ macrumors regular

Just picked up a new 23 incher from the apple store in toronto. Display seems fine, and no dead pixels (thank god) But, I typed in the serial number in the apple website, and it says its a late 2005 model, so Im guessing its not the "new spec" one. I was just wondering if I should bother to return it for a new one, and risk a dead pixel or 2 (which would drive me batty) Or is the new one that much better and worth the risk? Or, did they just upgrade the specs and not really upgrade the monitor?

2. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I don't think the serial look up on the Apple site is accurate. I'm fairly sure I have one of the new ones, but my serial comes up as an old one.

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

4. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Does your have a white backlighting when you in a dark room with a black background. Mine is like that after 2 return. Mine also said it was late 2005 but it working flawlessly with nothing wrong and no dead pixels. Think you have the newer model. Older model tend to have the pink contrast, bad back lighting, etc. I have the same concern that I should return mine or not but I don't want to risk getting another older one, or dead pixel. I think you should just keep it if there is any problem? If you return you better have a good reason because they don't take back exchange easily and you may have to take the restocking fees.

BTW, I check the serial number with the url provided and mine say was 2006. Strange..I don't know which one is correct anymore.

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I have returned mine, saw on the chipmunk site, mentioned above, that it was built in week 26 (July) 2006. And on the Apple site it came back with the old specs. I'm now waiting to get the new one...

6. Neonguy macrumors 6502

So you order it online and have to ship it back? Did you have to pay for restocking fees?

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Mine was built in week 22, in June.

I reckon mine is definitely an old model. Besides I have three green stuck pixels.

Should I get it exchanged?

8. thl macrumors newbie

I've bought my cinema display 23 inch on monday and I found a green stuck pixel almost in the center of the screen. So I returned it and now the guys of Apple have to decide if the store where I bought it may exchange it for a new one.. . Personally I don't think they are going to exchange it but you never now.. I just have to wait for a couple days and then I'll know it.. .

But for the guy who thinks he has an old screen without any deadpixels, just keep that one, my screen is way to bright when I have it on max brightness...

9. amack macrumors member

I received my 23" ACD yesterday and it is 21 week build (May), it has three stuck pixels and serious backlight bleed at the top and bottom. I phoned Apple and they are replacing it for me, I just hope no more stuck pixels.

My overall impression was that the screen was quite dull even when turned up to full brightness and that it exhibited some image persistance when first turned on (this has not been apparent since). I bought it from the UK apple store so they obviously still have quite a bit of the older models still in stock. As there are no apple stores in N.Ireland I have to take a chance with the online store so fingers crossed the replacement will be better.

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

So you guys are buying and returning displays for the sole reason that they don't have the "new" specs according to the serial number??? How would you even be able to tell without looking up the serial? WOULD you even be able to tell? I've seen both side-by-side and there's a very small difference, not worth the trouble you children are going through because of a minute difference in specs. You're wasting your time...:rolleyes:

11. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

12. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It's just when you push the buy bottom at the Apple Store, it shows the screen as having the new specifications.

Giving you something different is false advertising whether or not you can spot the difference but that seems to be ok when it's Apple?

Also depending on the background image I use for my desktop, I get Image Persistency. Which is rather annoying.

13. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Dead pixel more then one is a definitely return! I have no dead pixel but it have a white bleed background with a black background when in dark room. Is this what you mean? Anyway, I exchange my first one and my second one still have the backlight problem. They won't let me exchange anymore and the Apple Genius give me lame excuse like "All Apple Monitor are like that!" Of course I didn't believe them, but I feel like every Apple Cinema in their store are not 2006 model so I don't want to end up with a worser one then already is. I'm pissed though, especially you pay for a lot of something and not get the very best of it. So we have the right to whine like children when qaulity is not deliver and advertisement is false from what expected.

14. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I didn't ordered online. It is a store in the centre of Holland and I live an the edge of Holland. My brother places a lot of orders with them and also bought my G5 from them. So the shipping goes through my brother.

Anyhow, I had the display hooked up for about an hour and although it is just beautifull I wasn't happy with it when I found out that these where the old specs and I had to pay full price. Also I use my mac and the display for playing games on it. Maybe 23" isn't the best choice, but it is a compromise. Therefore that the responsetime is down with 2 ms in the new model was for me the reason to buy one. Else I already had one! Therefore I returned it, and am still waiting for a new one!!!

15. nitynate macrumors 6502a

My iMac.

Production year: 2006
    Production week: 04 (January)

:eek:

16. amack macrumors member

My point was that the new spec might address the problems that are exhibited on my current ACD. Backlight bleed and image ghosting is a recurring theme on the apple forums at the minute, I'm just hoping the newer spec doesn't exhibit these problems, who wants to pay nearly £800 for one year old display?