23" ACD Turned Red!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kainjow, Sep 19, 2006.

1. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

So I woke up this morning, hooked up my 23" ACD to my MacBook, and I find the entire display has a red shade to it. I try to mess briefly with the calibrated options stuff, but can't change anything. I then briefly messed with Gamma Control, but couldn't get anything from that.

So did this thing just go bad randomly? I haven't actually been using it for the last few days since I've been mobile with my MacBook, but I was using it last night and it was fine... (I do have AppleCare for it though :p )

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Happened to me. It was the graphics card that was knackered. I found out when I bought a new monitor :rolleyes:

EDIT: Actually you might want to ignore my post I jumped in without reading it all. Not sure what it could be if hooked upto a MB.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Does "can't change anything" mean that the changes you make have no effect, or that the preferences pane won't allow you to make changes?

4. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Yeah, the MacBook's display works fine. Restarted the computer, still the redness is there.

Sorry, I mean that any changes I make don't improve the color.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Does the monitor work normally when not attched to the MB?

If so maybe you have an iffy port on your MB?

6. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Good idea. I'll test it on my PC here shortly.

7. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Weird!!

So as I started unscrewing the DVI cable from the mini-DVI -> DVI adapter, the colors flickered back to normal! WTF? Oh well, glad it's working now :D

Very strange...

8. Cerebrum macrumors regular

Cerebrum

Could be the cable itself. This happened to me on my PowerBook and on my PC. I had them connected to a 19in LCD monitor and suddenly it all looked like someone had splattered a fine red net on it. So everything was there, but looked red. After messing around with the settings, I found out that it was the DVI cable. Try moving the cable around, usually DVI cables get messed up near the DVI base connection (at least in my experience). This happens specially if the cable has been under a lot of stress lately (meaning a lot of twisting or bending near its connectors). Try that, see what happens.