23" ACD versus 30" ACD - What would you buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Anto38x, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Anto38x macrumors member

Anto38x

To whom it may concern..
    I'm about to purchase a new MacPro Quad Core 3GHz system with 8GB of RAM. I'm a graphic designer who uses photoshop extensively and I'm also getting more and more into video and dvd presentation using imovie & idvd and Final Cut Pro & Motion. I currently have a Dual 2.0GHz with a 20" Formac Gallery Monitor (which is excellent). Can you advise me if the additional RAM I'm going for will benefit the type of work I do... but more importantly is my choice of screen... I was just going to go for the 23" ACD as it would be bigger than my existing and the reviews are excellent, but then I thought why not go the whole hog and get the 30". can anyone let me know what they have bought and would everyone go for the 30". I have the desk space... but I'm wondering is the 30" and extravagance or will it pay dividends. Please advice... plus... on the issue of third party RAM. I was going to purchase my 8GB's from http://www.datamem.com/AMM22.asp. Has anyone dealt with them before... any feedback and will their memory be easy to install in the new MacPro? I have never done this... but I don't want to fork out €2,500 for the same equivalent from Apple through their BTO system.

Thanking you in advance...

Anthony
    Irish MacUser and MacAddict

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If you can afford the 30" then go with that. I'd love to get a 30" screen but by the looks of things I'll have to settle for a 23" due to funds.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The 30" is a nice display.

You might want to consider 2 x 23 inch displays. Or maybe even a second 20 inch one to go with your current display.

4. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

will you not be liable for paying import duty on that ram?

5. Anto38x thread starter macrumors member

Anto38x

That's something I didn't even consider.... but even at 21% Vat as it is here in Ireland... it's still a damn good deal better than getting the RAM direct and installed off APPLE @ €2,500. I currently have a 20" Formac... but if I get the new MacPro system that screen will have to work with my old PowerMacG5... to.. the other option of two 23" screens... I think too fussy for my workflow..I have a G4 and DELL plus a Ti Laptop also on my desk... so more screen would be a little cluttered I think....

One big concern that I would have is that I suffer from that repeatitive injury sydrome in my wrist... I have those gell supports... but I'm wondering with a 30" screen will it get even worse... more ground to cover..?? Anybody got any comments on that side of things...

Yours sincerely,
    Anthony
    MacUser and MacAddict

6. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Hi Anthony, I don't doo this type of work and therefore don't have an opinion about the display. I would be cautious about ordering all that RAM just yet. The Mac Pro looks to be finnicky about RAM (not often that Crucial and OWC temporarily pull their RAM on a model). My advice is to wait a bit longer on buying so much RAM until others post their positive experiences with a third party RAM supplier. Also, the system will perform better with 4x2GB than 8x1GB based on the article at Anandtech regarding memory latency.

Regards,
    Amin

7. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

In my opinion, before forking out all that money on screens, RAM and a Mac Pro, you should spend a little money on making your setup as ergonomic as you possibly can. Having wrist strain now, can cause much worse problems later.

Look at the height of your desk, your mouse and keyboard, the height of your chair, and consult a physician or doctor, etc.

Get that sorted first!

Then...

Look again at the possibility of using two 23" monitors as oppossed to on 30". More space, and more flexibility.

Obviously, the more RAM you have the quicker your Mac Pro will be, giving you more productivity. But, i am sure that you will cope fine with 6GB of RAM. See how you go before forking out for 8GB.

Rich.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I would suggest sticking with 4GB of RAM for the time being. I rarely even dip into my 8GB, and while I understand you are getting into Motion and FCP, it doesn't sound like you really need them immediately. Definitely upgrade the video card, though.

The 30" is not extravagance if you want to open 12MP images at 50% all day long or have a full spread open. It probably increase my productivity by at least 25% over my old 20" ACD.

You will appreciate the extra height of the 30" ACD. I couldn't do my job without it (well I could it would just be painful).

Good luck.

Edit - You also do NOT want to post your questions in several forums as you have done. This one is the correct forum (Buying Advice).

9. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I highly recommend the 30". I absolutely love it.. if only I had a Mac Pro to run it.

You won't regret it!

10. nitynate macrumors 6502a

If you are going for a graphics design system, two 23" displays will not be clutter, they will become a part of the way you work.

It is a much better value, and wont be as overwhelming to use on an everyday basis.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

[Moderator note: Three threads have been merged. Please do not start duplicate threads.]

12. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Neither. I'd buy an Eizo. They are more expensive, and you can only get 21" and 24" widescreen versions (so no 30"), but it is so superior to any other LCD I've used, that the extra expense is well worth it.

13. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I would get the one 30" display because it will be big enough for everything you want to do. I also agree with iGary about the ram, 4-5gb is enough for right now and you can always upgrade down the road.

14. ibilly macrumors regular

well, I have the 23" and I'm very happy with it. I also do a LOT of photoshop, and I think that the 30" might be too large. The area your mouse has to cover is quite substantial, and my eyes never seem to take the full image to the 30" in when I'm playing @ an apple store. Also, if you use a tablet, think about how exaggerated a teenst movement would become.

I'd say start with a 23", and add another if you feel cramped. 30" is fantastic, but given your wrist, I'd say go with the one that costs 1/2 as much, and may very well be better for you.

15. ender78 macrumors 6502

I have used dual displays at work for about 4 years and can't go back. I am writing this on two 19"'s. I have a 24" Dell at home and find that even the two 19"s are much better for multitasking. I still like to run my apps at or near full screen. The 30" display is great for someone that is working on ONE high resolution image, and doing nothing else. For day to day use, nothing beats dual monitors.

Maker sure that you also take a good look at Dell's displays. With the recent price cuts, the difference in price is less dramatic but the Dells are still a great value.

16. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

The 23 has all sorts of color-related issues( go look on apples support forums if you want proof), I would avoid it if at all possible. I have 2 20s, the 23s I had were a mess.

17. minimalistic macrumors regular

18. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

I had both a 23" and a 30". Both were amazing. If you have the extra bux go for the 30"

19. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Going back to your original thread, why are you getting a macpro if you are running adobe? I just cancelled my macpro order and grabbed a "newer" g5 (used 2.7 with 6gb of ram) and put a WD Raptor drive in it to increase speed. (machine is pretty quick) It seems to me, at best, your new machine is going to be "as good" as your G5 for adobe.

I couldnt justify speeding the premium for the newest mac technology when I wont be able to appreciate it until next spring/summer (adobe CS3). By that time, RevB macpros will be out... a partnership in power.

Just a thought, maybe consider some minor upgrades to your G5 and wait it out. Photoshop is so damn harddrive speed dependent, either some WD raptor drives, or SCSI, and/or RAID could give you a nice boost, and be transferrable to the macpro later on.

20. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Meh he's not just running Photoshop - plus, you're right, the Mac Pro is as fast as the G5 at Photoshop. I would recommend that he stick to his plan (except for the ram - he should start with 3-4 GB and see how much he actually uses before he plunges for 8 GB).

21. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

I've been debating this as well. I've sold some stock and it's enough to pay for the 23" and have some extra to pay for car property taxes or it's a few hundred short of the 30".

I looked at them today at the nearby Apple store with Apeture loaded on the 30". Unfortunately the 23" that was right next to it was on a Mac Mini vs. a Mac Pro and didn't have aperture loaded so I couldn't compare them very well. Plus who knows the last time they were calibrated.

Trying to figure out if the integrated USB and firewire ports are worth it. I could really use the extension from the Mac Pro to the monitor for my iPod (4g) and the 6x9 Intuos3 that I use, vs draping cables everywhere.

22. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

Go easy on the ram. 3-4 gigs should hold you. I think I saw someone else post that their 3rd party ram didn't work. The 30 is big and beautiful and supposedly had better color and sharpness than the 23's, not sure about the latest update though.

23. maccanuck2006 macrumors member

Hi! Just joined Macrumors. I'm also in the market for a new LCD.

Besides the Dell 2407 and the ACD 23", any other widescreen LCDs in this price range that others would recommend? I've read a few good reviews about the Samsung 244T Syncmaster, but its difficult to find one in Vancouver Canada.

My head is spinning from viewing every hardware and computer review site and I'm still no further ahead. Leaning towards the Dell as I'm still reading that the post WWDC 23" ACD still has serious image persistence and backlight leakage issues....
    Unfortunately the big DELL increases the fugly factor, but I'd rather have a great screen.

24. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

You sound like you could definately use the 30". It seems like you can afford it, so go for it.

25. maccanuck2006 macrumors member

Not really, the 30" is still more than twice the 23" ACD and the Dell. Also, its probably too big for my needs. 23-24" is the size I'm looking for.