23" ACD Way Too Bright

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RedBull17, Apr 26, 2006.

1. RedBull17 macrumors member

Hey guys, this is my first post in the forums. I just registered, but I have been an active reader since January.

Today I bought a 23" ACD to go with my MBP 2.0.

Everything seems to be working fine, no dead pixels, no strange lines on the background, etc. Only "problem" is that, on minimum bright setting, the screen is WAY too bright.

Is there any way I can reduce the brightness apart from the screen buttons and editing the color profile?...

Thanks Andres.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

You could purchase window tint and apply it to the screen.

4. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

At the minimum brightness on mine it seems very dull are you sure you are on the lowest?

5. RedBull17 thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps I didnt explain my self correctly. :confused:

English is not my first language. :)

What I ment to say is, that after lowering the brightness with the buttons on the right side of the screen, the screen is still way too bright, what can I do?...any suggestions?

6. RedBull17 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, when I press the - button, the "Sun" indicating brightness, doesnt has any bars filled, wich indicates its on the minimum setting.

7. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Brightness, meaning the actual amount of light that the screen emits, or do you mean bright as in all the colors are bleached out because your contrast is all messed up?

8. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I agree... The minimum setting can seem too bright sometimes...

Google "Mouseposé" - The perfect wardriving app :p :eek:

9. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

Maybe, the F1 and F2 keys can make a difference. Worth a try.

-yankeefan

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

Open "Displays" in the System Preferences. There should be a slider control for your screen's brightness. Is the control fully left?

11. RedBull17 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, its fully left.

yankeefan,

Its on the lowest setting.

SC68Cal,

Brightness as the amount of light the screen emits, the higher the brightness the more ur eyes hurt.

Worth to say is that currently all the lights in my room are on, so it shouldnt be that bad, Imagine if I turn off the lights in my room, I would get blind :).

12. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

sorry i cant help, but i think your english is very good. i understood perfectly what you meant

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Try turning your lights on at night, and opening your curtains during the day. Your display will seem rather dim at the lowest setting then. Light is your friend. ;)

14. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Sys prefs - Display : Here you can adjust brightness (I dunno if this is connected to the F1 and F2 keys or the buttons in the ACD. Just give it a try;) )

15. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

It sounds like you need to adjust the color profile if the brightness isn't doing it for you, though it may be tough to darken it without screwing up the colors. Perhaps you could find some sort of anti-glare coating or sheet to put over the screen? Those usually darken things up a bit. Failing that, you could try to get one of those 3M privacy filters, but I don't recall seeing any 23" (haven't looked in a while, though, and it would be easy enough to find out).

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

LoL! You took the words out of my mouth! *cranks up his 23" ACD brightness some more*

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's been definitively confirmed that RedBull17 has already dimmed his screen as much as possible by using the controls.

Barring the addition of a filter on top of the display - or, as suggested, increasing the ambient light in the room - the only real option I can see is to go to System Preferences...->Displays->Color and calibrate the display. You'll need to do it using expert mode to get the most opportunity to dim it without adversely affecting the color.

Also, you can choose dark desktop backgrounds or go into System Preferences...->Universal Access->Seeing, make sure it's set up, and then use ⌘⌥ˆ-8 to invert the colors.

18. danny_w macrumors 601

There is a utility you can get that will let you dim the display below the minimum settings, but I can't remember its name. I got it when I got my 2005fpw because it seemed too brigh a the time too. I think it might have been Brightness Control.

19. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Well if it does get too bright you canjust ship it to 97229:D
    Do you have any previous eye trouble, that could have something to do with it.
    -dsm

20. danny_w macrumors 601

21. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I think that you can reduce the Gamma, in the apple preferences color control.

Or i also think that working in an area that has more light behind the acd will cause a relative working environment that will make the ACD look dimmer.:D

22. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

This may be a stupid question, but is there a way to crank up light or contrast over maximum setting via software like this?