23" ACD with Pink Tint... what to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DXoverDY, Oct 27, 2006.

1. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Ok. Just took possession of my brand new 23 inch Cinema display. Got it all powered up and it's got a serious case of Pink Tint... in direct comparison to my PowerBook it's pretty obvious. Most notably around the Grey Brushed Metal interface and the white backgrounds of the Finder.

If I call Apple Care will I get a new one Overnighted? My mac pro is coming on Monday and I'm going to be mightly upset if I don't have a monitor to use it on. Or will be it faster to take it to the nearest Apple Store 90 minutes away and just keep going through the suckers until I find one I'm happy with?

Also... upon looking at the display it appears a bit "starry" like there's "glitter" on the screen in white areas... is this the dreaded backlight bleeding?

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Its a known issue. Call them or take it to a Store.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Of course if you were in Europe you'd be SOL. The new ones are only just arriving this side of the Pond. It's a lottery.

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

5. DXoverDY thread starter macrumors 6502a

No calibration device. If that fixes it and they do it at the store, I'd be fine with that. I wasn't going to get a colorimeter until I got my new digital camera. But that's a few months out yet.

They said to bring it in if I want, they have some in stock and i'll get to test the new one should they deem it a defective display. I'll be sure to test the sucker.

I only had to wait on hold when calling the local apple store (90 minutes away) for about 40 minutes.. argh. glad I got my reservation in.. looks like i'm going to need it

6. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

System Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibration (use expert mode)

may be worth checking out before hauling it in

7. DXoverDY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Doh!... Let me get it out of the box again :p

8. DXoverDY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Didn't help, still a pink tint..

9. jakeDude macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear about your misfortune abotu the pink screen. I just bought a ACD 23 this week myself. It is flawless and I am very happy with it.

How I got a good screen was:

1. Luck

2. Made sure I got the new revision. I bought from Smalldog.com . I emailed them and asked them if they could check for me if they had the August revisions and they wrote me back (yes). I like to support resellers such as SmallDog because they sell used and refurb gear and have better deals occasionally than Apple refurb. Plus the customer support is/seems better
    than dealing with Apple store employees from what I have been reading about these displays.

3. Bought a new unit. I paid the extra money ($150) to get a new machine vs a refurb machine. On Amazon, there is a rebate on these but these were selling through Comp USA which seems to be like would likley be the pre-August stock. Usually stores like Comp USA have sales when they have alot of old-stock they need to sell. I did not want to try to coordinate something with Comp USA in case of a return. I prefer to deal with the service that Apple store or Smalldog could provide.

Not all the returned/swapped displayes are really defective. Some are just possibly pickiness. I might have bought a refurb if they were available on apple.com, but they werent wehen I ordered mine. However, the general impression I got from reading customer reviews at: cnet.com, amazon, epinions.com, apple store, macrumors, macnn forums were that some of these displays do have problems. And the quality control on these 23" have seen more issues than on the 20" and 30" displays. Because of all the horror stories posted about people reclacing up to 4 or 5 displays, think its better to cough up some money for a guaranteed recent build model. A260 and above.

Let us know how your pink screen experience turns out..

-jakeDude

10. DXoverDY thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got a new one.. Slightly less pink... but still "pink" it seems. I'm going to run with this one I think... it might be just me but it does seem a bit "off" still. I'm going to give it a shot for a week.. see how it goes and if I am still unhappy with it, I will likely give AppleCare a call and request a new one.

The Apple Genius was as always really nice. He helped me before with my brothers iMac, nice to see him again, even under not so great circumstances.

I am, even while writing this, really wondering if it's just because the screen is "brighter" that I think I am seeing it as pink... it's really hard to tell.

11. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Glad to here your new one is better. I bought a 23 quite a while ago (the original 23s, way before the revisions), and it was very pink. As I don't do color critical work, all I needed was a display that I could work with.

Try playing around in color calibration again. I just tried going back to the original settings, and man, what a huge difference! If yours is only slightly pink you may be able to adjust it so that it is non-existant.

12. DXoverDY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, this one seems to be able to get rid of the pink when I calibrate. If it's "pink" at all. I'll be purchasing a colorimeter soonish. So I'll likely just leave it how I have it (expert mode calibration by eye... man that's hard lol) and once I get the colorimeter I'll let that do the seeing for me.

So far though, I'm pretty darn happy with this sucker. Freaking HUGE. Can't wait for the Mac Pro.. it's about 30 miles from me right now and they won't deliver on saturday or sunday... argh. so it's been sitting for about 24 hours right now, and I won't get it until Monday. Monday I'm in class until 2:30... I gotta work at 5... if it's delivered at the same time the monitor was (4:00pm) I'll have 30 minutes to unpack.. drool... and mess with it before heading to work. Talk about frustrating. :p