23-acre body of water disappears in St. Louis suburb

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by PowerMacMan, Jun 13, 2004.

1. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

This is really weird... I've never heard anything like it but it's on MSNBC so it's true... or it could have been a massive hoax... :confused:

Woe! Lake Begone!

2. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Wow, thats crazy! :eek:

3. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

Oh, uh, sorry everybody. I was... really thirsty. :p

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

LOL!
    Although, I wonder if this had anything to do with it:
    Hmmmm

Anyways, something similar happened before. I don't remember all the detail from the case study in my Engineering by Design book, but I believe the lake was located in Louisiana, and it was quite large. Texaco was drilling some test holes to find oil that was known to be there. There also happened to be a salt mine underneath said lake. Well, someone at Texaco didn't compare their maps to that of the mine company, and they drilled right into the mine. No on died, but the mine became unusable, and it took quite a while for the lake to fill back up.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a very sad situation. Being man made is probably a good part of the reason.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It also was a feature in the Engineering Disasters on TLC or the Discovery Channel, quite interesting pictures/video of the land getting sucked into a hole and the water shooting back up the salt mine entrance.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Weird, but I guess that's what you get when you try to build your own lake.

Sounds like the increased pressure from recent rain pushed whatever was capping the crevaces under the lake past their limit, and it ended up emptying into them.

8. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Sounds like whoever had the bright idea of putting a lake on top of a limestone area needs to be reminded that limestone can be dissolved by water.

CaCO3(solid) == limestone

CaCO3(solid <==> Ca2+(aqueous) + CO3 2-(aqueous)
    CO2(aqueous) + H2O (liquid) <==> H2CO3 (aqueous)
    H2CO3 (aqueous) + CO3 2-(aqueous) <==> 2 HCO3- (aqueous)

Water gets acidic when it gets CO2 in it from the atmosphere, this acidic water can then dissolve limestone.

Chemical of the Week: Carbon Dioxide

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Link doesn't work (i.e. page won't load). I tried opening it in Mozilla, and nothing from the page loaded into my window. Then I tried it in Safari, and I got this (click on the attachment, ya lazy bums):

Attached Files:

10. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Worked for me... link

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mozilla - doesn't work.
    Safari - doesn't work.
    Internet Exploder - WTF? Now it works?! Bah, I hate I.E.

Man, it would have been cool to see the "funnel" as the lake dropped.
    Anyways...oh, no. Chemistry equilibrium equations. :mad:

12. PowerMacMan thread starter macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

Well I linked it from MSN's MSNBC page... MSN=MicroSoft Network. Maybe MSN has something so it will only work with IE or MSN itself (of course). Microsoft has struck again... :p

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Funny, worked under Mozilla 1.7b for me.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Earlier, I was having trouble with MSNBC links and Firefox for some reason but a reload got them going.

We have sink holes far too often here. They usually attack roads and houses, never lakes. It would be bad if all the manmade lakes went awake in Floriduh since there are so many. Still, it might put the water back into the aquifer and we'd be out of our drought.

15. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

That is funny, but the cost to repair it won't be!

Personally, I think that the $1,000 will more than make up for any loss in property value if they leave it as a mucky stinky mess!

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I'm sure they could just seed it and grass would grow nicely.

17. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I think that they should spend the $1000 and make it with a concrete bottom. Then, do not fill it with water, but instead charge $5/hour or $20 a day for skateboarders and rollerbladers. :p

18. PowerMacMan thread starter macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

Or a community pool, that way they would still have water in a spot that once occupied water... A 23 acre pool! :rolleyes:

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's just nuts! I found one bad picture, you'd figure someone would be able to get a better shot....

D

Attached Files:

20. iGav macrumors G3

someone had better warn backtothemac just incase it happens to his lake. :eek: :p :p

21. sonyrules macrumors regular

Whats a mess... If they do fix it, I wonder how long it would take to fill it again???

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

For some reason, now the link works in Mozilla. Damn, PowerMacMan, those are some clever bastards over at Microsoft! [​IMG]

Period, not a question mark (or three).

I wouldn't be worried about how long it'll take to fill it. The big issues are cost (as referenced before) and the productivity of filling the "hole" on our economy. I estimate that the 23-acre lake averaging 4 feet deep can hold about 30 million gallons of water. Given that Poland Springs ships their gallons of water at 85c/gallon, then awards a 10% additional sale, you're talking about $23 million in filling that thing up. And those 52 foot semi-s can hold no more than 7000 gallons of water each, given that each one was sealed off like an aquarium. So you're talking about over 4000 trucks going to the site to fill that thing up. That's very time consuming and (can be debated) not a productive use of our resources.

23. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I have a few questions.

Are you part of the homeowners that live around this 23 acre lake?
    If you are not, why is it 'our' resources, and 'our' economy?

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

They must have had one of your Vacuums of Infinite Density working there.

As for productive use of resources - you plug the hole, rain will eventually fill it up again. Maybe not by the end of the year, but I'll bet by next year its fine. There won't be any water trucks showing up....

And since its a manmade lake in the first place, its been done before.

D

25. King Cobra macrumors 603

Because in order to deliver all that water, you would need lots of trucks to bring lots of water over, and all that water could be used for other purposes, like preparing an aquarium in New York to attract people in ordert o bring in money, etc. Point is: Don't bring trucks to the lake...let the lake stay dry to save the cost of filling it up. Not to mention, Mr. A claimed that "There won't be any water trucks showing up...."

There is no "Vacuum of Infinite Density" going on. Instead, that was your annoying cocky attitude and a reference to an inside joke that has no application here. I said that the time and cost of filling up the lake again via trucks would not be a productive use of our economical resources, and I feel that I have showed that further with the example of the NY aquarium (above in this post). Thus, I feel that I have demonstrated that refilling the lake up with trucks is not a great solution to replace 30 million gallons of water. What Mr. A suggested (let rain fill it up) would work (eventually); however, my focus was on how to fill up the lake quickly, as in, much quicker than it takes mother nature to fill it up again.

My overall point is: I don't see a quick fix to filling up the lake after it's been fixed. But I also don't see how the Draino-carrying plumbers in the area are going to get the quick buck anymore.