23" Apple HD Dead Pixels

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dberg, Dec 1, 2005.

1. dberg macrumors member

Hey,

So i have had my 23" Apple HD Cinema for about 14 months, and i can count like 5 or 6 bright white dots on my screen when certain color apps are behind them. Apple wont allow me to buy an extended warrantly on the monitor and says its only 1 year from purchase no other options.

Does anybody know anything about how to address this issue? Just sucks that i paid about $1800 for a monitor and just over a year later its failing with no warranty option in site..

thanks

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

pray....

there is actually software out there that will help sometimes. Just search the forums for some topics on dead pixel, you should find a thread that has a link. I am to lazy to search. The software did help me, but that isn't always the case. There was some other techniques you can use to "massage" them back, but YMMV (just google). good luck.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I found one thread mentioning the app that MR member ITASOR created, thread linky, the relevant post is post #6.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

That version is a pain. http://itasor.com/pixelmurder.mov

New Quicktime format!

(you might want to control click/right click to save the movie so you can loop it in quicktime. Size it behind one pixel and run it all night making sure your monitor doesn't dim or sleep. Sometimes it slaps the pixel back into shape.

5. dberg thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys i will try it. All night though? No risk of burnout or something doing that? Seems like a long time to let this thing go nuts, but i guess you guys know better than me. Just makes me a little nervous.

thanks for the tool though, i will try it and post results.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Oh dear, what should one do, they paid all they hard earned money on an overpriced LCD monitor that the company will not even stand behind due to dead pixels.

Who the heck are you, demand to speak to a supervisor or manager and tell them to get they **** together or you are taking your business else where in the future.

Once they see that customers actually have a spine to buy a better, cheaper and better shipping than they service they will clue in.

I have yet to understand why people pay so much money on something and bitch on MR about they $XXXX.xx purchase that Apple sent them. Dam it people Apple is not you friend they are a business out to make money from you and they would take your hard working savings any day.

When you decide to grow-up and do something about it, rather than bitch then be proud of yourself. :rolleyes:

7. dberg thread starter macrumors member

for starters i didnt pay *all* my hard earned money on the monitor. it happens to be one of the highest rated monitors in its class at the time of purchase, and the competitor prices were not much better.

secondly i am not bitching to anyone, simply asking for some advice if someone else had the same issue (that is the point of these forums isnt it?)

If you took my post as a needless rant then you misunderstood the point of me posting. this is a mac community and we share issues, complaints, experiences, advice , etc.. with each other. thats what communities do. if you have a problem with people paying premium prices for an apple product you are free not to purchase one. If its b/c you cant afford one then i am sorry but that isnt my fault. If its b/c you just dont want to buy one, well thats your choice as well, however it has nothing to do with me asking if anyone had any ideas on fixing a dead pixel problem on an apple product.

on a side note thanks to everyone else who posted a response, it was appreciated. dont let trolls like this get in our way.

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

trolls, ah we resort to name calling rather easy. How about you do a search first. Or here is another suggestion, call Apple Support and speak to a manager. Common sense. :rolleyes:

9. dberg thread starter macrumors member

I already stated in my original email that i spoke with apple to no avail, which is why i was posting here for help/advice.

And i wasnt reverting to namecalling, in case you werent sure:

a troll is a person who posts inflammatory messages on the internet, such as on online discussion forums, to disrupt discussion or to upset its participants. It can also be used as a verb, meaning to post such messages, and "trolling" (the gerund) is also commonly used to describe the activity.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Maya, maybe you should read the post a little better before ranting. Calling Apple 2 months outside of the warranty period isn't going to do much. Apple is no longer legally obligated to support the product. If dberg had purchased an extended warranty, (which I was unaware you could do for a display without buying a PB or PM) then Apple would most likely fix/replace it (if all the dead/stuck pixels are in the center, probably even if they're around the edge)
    Secondly, I didn't see any evidence of dberg "bitching,"
    That's more like a lament than a complaint.
    And as for the Apple 23" display being overpriced, at $200 more than this one, which doesn't have USB or FireWire ports, and is made with a plastic stand and frame (hopefully it's more stable than HP's first 23" display). They have (I believe) the same panel, as they're the same resolution, same response time, almost the same contrast ratio, almost the same brightness, same viewing angle etc. Hardly seems overpriced to me...

11. Megatron macrumors regular

Dberg, are these white "pixels" or "spots"?

I know with the powerbooks there was a replacement program for the 15" LCD panels that exhibited the white spots.

12. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Some risk of the player window "burning" into the screen if you don't play it fullscreen, but that should go away after a while. Nothing permanent.

I suppose theoretically you might be shortening the lifetime of your screen, but not so much that you need to be worried about it.

13. dberg thread starter macrumors member

they are bright white pixels just stuck. Most are fairly small dots, but i do have one larger one. But they are all white and bright, no colors.

14. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Not saying it won't, but I played it for 10+ hours on a junky PC laptop and there was no burn in. I'm pretty sure like dubbz said though, LCD burn in is temporary only.

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

16. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Yup... it happened with my 2005FPW, after running it overnight (actually, like half a day or something), but it went away after having the screen turned off for a little while.

Try sneaking it in on cinema, playing it on the big screen during a movie, then count the number of people who get seizures. I'm sure it whould be interesting.

17. aquajet macrumors 68020

So does this actually work?

No offense, but it looks like snake oil to me. ;)