23" Apple HD Display and Image burning

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Crawn2003, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I hope I can put this into a clear sentence, lol. Gotta love all nighters getting a project finished for school.

I was working in photoshop doing a mock-up of an Apple ad for my photoshop I class. Well, after working for an hour, I decided to take a break and just hide the document. When I did this, there was a white area around the 8x10 area where the project had been, kind of a halo around where the edges were.

Is this normal on a 23" HD Display? I've never noticed anything like this before on it.

~Crawn

Edit: Now it seems to be doing it as I hide Safari too. Lines where the bookmark menu, lines from the Macrumors web page, etc. are showing up in white.

2. pionata macrumors 6502

There is a post down with the same subject on a 30" screens, seems its a common problem when you leave the screen opened on the same image for a long time. You should turn it off for a while and turn it back up. The pixels are not burned, they are just full of energy or something.

I do hope they fix it for when I'll get my 30".

3. revisionA macrumors 6502

I've never noticed that, but I guess my computer use is too schizo for any kind of burn in.

LCDs dont permanently burn in, its just that all that energy does build up especially from bright objects.

$

4. Crawn2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

So is this an issue I should take into consideration for a return/repair/exchange? This burn in happens in under a minute, not after a half hour!

I don't want to unless I absolutely have to. :confused:

~Crawn

5. revisionA macrumors 6502

I dunno. I got my 23 inch over a year ago. Damn, almost two...

$

6. Hyernel macrumors member

My 23" ACD is brand new, even with the brightness almost all the way down it's plenty bright. (I mostly like working in the dark....mostly) It goes to sleep if i don't do anything for more than 10 mins.

Haven't noticed any of what you described, but I'll be on the look out.

BTW: The power button on the side doesn't seem to do anything. Yours?

Hyernel

7. petej macrumors regular

Some might call it burn in some call it image persistence. To me there is a technical difference but in essence the effects are the same.

Apple acknowledge that there may be a problem at times:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88343

I have seen this effect on some ancient LCDs - not apple - that had been showing the same screen for weeks on end. LCDs were purchased in this case because they supposedly didn't suffer from burn in and dozens of CRTs had been destroyed. Whilst burn in on LCD's is normally nothing like the problem it is on CRT's. A burn in like effect can occur.

1 hour does seem a remarkably short period of time though. I would say that the display is faulty either by design or manufacture.

8. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

If possible, bring it into an Apple store. If you can show them what you're talking about they'll probably swap it out right there or at least put it in for repair (should still be under warranty right?)

9. CTSxViper macrumors regular

Well as far as I know, and have read many posts from lots of users on all types of LCD's, this issue is very common. It does fade away when leaving the LCD off for a couple days, and is not image burn in. This is not harmful to the LCD at all. I myself would not be concerned about it, but in every case I have seen, it does go away..

10. Crawn2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I called Apple Care and got a case number. I'll probably go down there in the next day or so. My problem is, I use the 23" so much because of the extra room and the 17" for just an extra screen for my layers, history, etc. from photoshop.

I tried the monitor on a DVI PowerBook and even put back the stock video card, the Radeon 9600XT, and in both cases the image persistance was still there.

Thanks again.

~Crawn

11. Crawn2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple is taking the display back and testing it.

At first the guys at the Apple store didn't see it but after about 40 minutes of it warming up, it started to display signs of image persistance.

I just hope they don't just plug it in, try it, and not see anything and ship it back saying nothing was found wrong.

~Crawn

12. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I had the same problem with my 20'' ACD. I had two gmail-widgets all the time on top. When I booted the machine up I saw the silhouette of these two widgets on a white screen. After I left the computer an hour (or a couple hours, i don't remember) on without the widgets showing it went away.