23 cinema display from MBP 17 is disgusting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gooseman, Mar 4, 2007.

1. gooseman macrumors newbie

Hi
    Just come over from the dark side.

Got my MBP 17 with a 23 inch monitor, hooked it up and find the graphics card cannot drive enough resolution for the monitor. Of course the guy in the AppleStore didn't warn me this would be the case.

I'm a pro photographer, working with exclusively digital clients now and need this set up. I think the monitor needs a card that would drive 1900x1200 at least. MBP 17 is less than this. Can the video cards in the Books be upgraded?

If not, what do I do? By a G5? Sheesh, this look like it's going to be an expensive switch just so my snobby art directors don't huff and puff when I turn up with a Dell!

Any ideas welcome

2. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

Not sure how new to macs you are, but are you mirroring or extending the desktop on to the monitor?

Mirroring shows the same image on both displays (and drastically lowers the resolution on each), while extending it allows the native res to run on each display, and extends the desktop on to the second screen.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This would limit the 23" screen to the MBP's resolution, whereas if you extend it then can go higher. I think even a MB can drive a 23" screen so an MBP should have no problem.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

im confused, my CD MBP can run my apple 23" fine

5. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

yup, and an MBP can even drive a 30" at native resolution. Oh and also, the graphic card cannot be upgraded.

6. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

If I understand correctly, this works better if you run your notebook in "lid closed mode" allowing more graphics power directly to your connected monitor.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

as others have said, the macbook pro should have no problems whatsoever driving the 23" cinema display. If you aren't able to do native res then you either have them set up as mirrored rather than spanning, or there's something very wrong with one or both of your pieces of hardware.

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

You'd certainly do get a nice improvement.

9. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Maybe there's something in the preferences pane that can help?

10. gooseman thread starter macrumors newbie

woah, so maybe this isn't going to be so expensive....

OK, so as I said I'm fresh over from the dark side and know very little about how to set up Macs. I checked the Dsiplays preferences and saw my max resolution as that relevant to the 17 inch PBPro monitor. So how can I get the 23 to work at 1900 x 1200 when I can't see this res option?

I'm confused, can some one run through how I do this to get pin sharp graphics on the 23? I'd really appreciate it.

cheers

11. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

Are you mirroring the displays or extending? Hit F7 and it should switch you over.

12. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

System Preferences -> Displays -> Detect Displays

Then, you should be able to set mirroring or not. Also, you may want to 'show displays in menu bar' so that you can more easily see what's going on.

13. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Ah ha! I thought there was something in the preferences.

14. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

Like i said before, F7 (atleast on macbooks) switches from Mirroring to Extending. Simple as 1-2-F7 :)

15. gooseman thread starter macrumors newbie

Now we are getting somewhere, thanks for your help on this, brilliant...

So, I'm out of mirrored and into extended (which then gives my the holy grail of 1900x1200 res (Wha-Hoo) but the lid down option eludes me.

If I close the lid I lose all control and eventually go into standby. I was told this wou;d happen at the AppleStore. So how do I do this lid down option turned on, I'm almost there, almost there!

16. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Shut the lid, it goes to sleep. Activate some usb device and it will wake up closed.

17. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

this is a tricky, and albeit, irritating situation. If you have an external keyboard hooked up, you should be able to wake the macbook up with that once the lid is down.

18. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

my powerbook has enough to power a 23" so you should have no problem, you will be stuck with the resolution of the MBP though

20. gooseman thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Synth3tik
    Actually (here am I, two days into Macdom and I'm already supplying adivce!!).. in display properties, when you choose DETECT DISPLAYS, it will give menus for both dispalys, select the 23 cinema pane and it will alllow 1900 x 1200. Ta-da (Sorry!).

Deadpixels...
    Yep, I opted for the bluetooth kepyboard and mouse and either of them will wake the PBP with the lid down.

Everyone...
    Job, done; very happy; excellent forum, you are exceptionally talented people, very responsive and good to be among.... or is it amongst...
    I feel a new thread coming on....

You just saved me at least $800.00 The beers are on me. But in the interim, as a small and woefuly inadequate thank you, here are some images shot recently with Leica's new M8.

http://www.netgoose.co.uk/secure/M8/

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There are quite a few of us here in London. Mine's a cold Budvar, or failing that, a Stella, ta... :)

Welcome to MR. Hope you stick around.

22. gooseman thread starter macrumors newbie

No problem...

I think there's a bar on Mulholland Drive...