23" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jesse_james, Jul 5, 2004.

1. jesse_james macrumors newbie

Jul 5, 2004
    Long time reader, first time poster.

We purchased a new 23" Cinema Display about 2 weeks ago (old ones) to replace my current 20" and the junior designer in the office was going to get the hand me down 20" while I basked in 23" inch glory.

One problem.

Compared to the 20" screen the 23" is dull and has a metallic grey look when the screen is white. It looks like the brightness isn't all the way up, but it is.

I contacted Apple and they said the 23" should be brighter than the 20", but after a long discussion and me taking the screen into our local Apple store they have come to the conclusion that it is a difference in the manufacturing process, and basically it's not defective and they wont replace it even though they agree that the 23" is noticeably more dull than the 20" I have.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem, or if anyone could explain the drama that is happening? :confused:
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Unfortunately, the 'old' 23" is a lot older than the 'old' 20", and has been known to be less bright as well as, at least to my eyes, less sharp. I am surprised Apple said it would be brighter, as that has never been the case. It's nicer because of its size, but otherwise the 20" is superior, at least IMHO.

BTW, have you tried System Preferences->Displays->Color->Calibrate? I don't mean to insult your Mac IQ by assuming you hadn't - just figured that if by some chance you hadn't, it might help.

FWIW, you could pay the restocking fee, chalk it up to experience, and order a new 23" - that will be substantially better than the old one.
  3. jesse_james thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 5, 2004
    Yeah, I tried that multiple times but the brightness is never effected no matter what you change in calibrate. Every time i make a new profile that I think looks better, I go back to the old one and it's no better at all.

What's the restocking? I've never heard about it.