23" Cinema HD-- Slightly disappointed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DrStrangelove, Mar 26, 2006.

1. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

I recently purchased the new iMac 20". I bought it to replace another machine (Dell-- returned). I had a 24" display (also returned but it was really nice) on the Dell and I found almost immediately that the 20" wasn't going to cut it for me. It was nice but I had already been spoiled by using the 24" for over a month.

So, I went out and picked up the 23" Cinema HD as a replacement. How psyched was I? A sweet 20" display with a 23" for an extended desktop. Let me start by telling you I'm on my 3rd 23" Cinema HD.

In a nutshell, the first one that I bought was beautiful and I was very happy with it. Then when I took the screen to black I realized that I had several "stuck" pixels; a red, a couple of blues and most annoying were three bright greens. None noticeable during normal display use, but gaming, movies, screensavers, etc... you'd see those damn pixels.

So I called the manager of the Apple store (who I'd made pretty good friends with buying a bunch of stuff from him) and he shared that in order to get a new display I would typically have to return it and pay a 10% restocking fee. The rule (supposedly) was you needed 7 "stuck" pixels and they needed to be grouped fairly close together to get Apple to just give you a new monitor. This one had 6 and admittedly they weren't close together.

Anyway, I explained to him how disappointing it was to pay that money for what's supposed to be a top-notch display. He understood and he agreed to swap one out without the restocking fee. Got it home (display #2) and guess what? This time I had 9 blown pixels and 4 of them were close together! I called him immediately and he said, "bring it back." Well, I had to travel for work for 6 weeks (sucks) and he said he'd exchange it when I got back. And he did just last week.

I get the new display home... and, yep, you guessed it. This time I have 5 stuck pixels. 3 of them too dark to really see (when screen is black) to make a fuss over and two others (no longer bright green) that are darker green but noticeable. At this point I have not called him to tell him about it. I know it's not right, but I feel like I'M being a pain in the ass now. Which I probably shouldn't feel like after 3 monitors but I do.

The fact is that this one is "acceptable" and the best that I've received so far, but I've got to tell you. Something still doesn't sit right about a) paying $1300 for a monitor and b) paying that much for one that is SUPPOSED TO BE SUPERIOR to the 24" Dell that I had. The Dell was flawless. I paid $700 for it to boot.

Granted this display (the apple display) is a better display when watching movies, games, etc. And no one else will probably every notice the pixels. But just knowing they're there bothers the hell out of me. 3 in a row? What gives? Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Maybe you should take it back to the store and then when they give you a replacement open it up right there in the store and ask to test it on one of their machines to see if it has any stuck pixels. If it has give it straight back and move on to the next one they have in stock.

3. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

I've thought of that myself. Like I said, however, I feel like I"m the one doing something wrong at this point. Being a pain. He told me that the first one he swapped "because he understood." Now, this last one (#3) again doesn't meet the apple requirements. He may very well say I've got to pay the 10% restocking fee to exchange it.

I don't know. I'm cornfused. :confused:

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I think its ridiculous that any manufacturer can't count an lcd with even a single faulty pixel faulty. Its not right!!

But anyway, if he says that he has to take the 10% restocking fee then maybe you should simply bite the bullet and say 'ok, but I want to be able to open as many ACDs as it takes in store to make sure I get a fully working one'.

BTW you might want to give this a try: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20962 I haven't had much success with it myself but in theory it could work to fix some stuck pixels.

5. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I really understand your frustration because when i bought my powerbook 2 years ago, it had several stuck pixels and though they werent so annoying, it just annoys me that the powerbook wasnt "perfect" when I could buy a Toshiba or Sony for almost 40% less and get a brighter and better screen...

Anyway, on the other hand though, you were just very unlucky as well. I recently risked and bought a 20 ACD and thank God it didnt have a single dead pixel. I bought it in Japan and some one told me that if you buy it in Japan, its less likely to have flaws because the quality control is alot tighter I heard.

6. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Hey bud. Sorry to here bout your sucky experience with the ACDs. My iBook has one bright green dead pixel at the top of the screen actually. I never addressed the issue because it is up top at the menu bar and you can't see it. And during screensavers, etc. I tend to forget about it. I've used a few ACDs in the past and never saw any dead pixels. But maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Well, at least you didn't have to pay the restocking fee. :D

7. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Thanks but no worky. ;) It seems like most that have dl'd it (according to the reviews) haven't seen it work. Hahahah. I got all excited for a moment thinking-- could it be?

To tell you the truth, I don't think you can "unstick" pixels. Maybe I'm wrong.

8. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Yeah, THIS TIME.

I may do as suggested above and call him and say that I'll pay the restocking fee but I wanna open monitors there. And I wanna do so in the back where it's darker. I'm front (with the first two monitors) several of the ones that I could see at home couldn't been seen there (or not too easily) because of how bright the store is.

9. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Well, it sounds like you've got it in with the guy at the Apple store so he would probably let you open it up in the back. Why not ask? Worth a shot.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Actually quite often you can 'massage' them with the end of a Q-Tip, gently of course, which can work to pop them back into working order. Sometimes they're legitimately stuck and in need of some prodding. :p

11. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

You really ARE outthere aren't you?

12. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Actually, he's right. It may sound weird, but this can sometimes fix it. Also try running some kind of dead pixel "unstick" software.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Also true...if you run the unstick software while massaging, the monitor is trying to reset the pixel at the same time you're giving it help...I managed to get rid of an angry red pixel on my iBook, and a green one on my friend's cinema display. :D

14. trogdor! macrumors regular

I can confirm the massage technique does work to a degree. He is not as out there as you may think. I have fixed a few pixels before with the this method.

15. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

I was beginning to think I was being sent on a search for a left-handed smoke shifter.

16. howesey macrumors 6502a

For the 23" you need for a replacement:

8 or more birght.

or

11 or more dark.

or

16 or more combined.

They can be anywhere, they do not need to be grouped.

Restocking fee is a joke. You should have refused. All Apple products have a 14 day cool off (28 days in the EU as thats the law), they cannot charge a restocking fee.

17. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Then you should have got another one. I'd love an Apple display, but too much $$$$. I went through a few Dell LCDs before i got a good one; they're just as bad.

peace | neut

18. FireArse macrumors 6502a

my 23 inch

I've had this display for over 14months now (can't belive its gona so quick!) but I was so relieved to find it had NO stuck pixels.

This screen is abosolutely perfect. I love it - the 1080p videos on it look supreme :) WOuld love to save for a 30' screen, that would be amazing - but I'd need to get that 6800 Ultra...

Take the screen back - as others have said, open the screen and test it in front of the manager. maybe the store got a bad batch! Think how many screens have been returned with a few stuck pixels - id pay $300 for a 23 with a few bright stuck pixels!!

FireArse

19. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

My 23" ACD is also perfect as far as I can tell.

If I were you I'd return it to the store for a refund if possible. Just explain that you're on your third replacement and it's still not right, so you want a refund.

Then go and buy it somewhere different, like online, and start all over again.

You could try getting Apple to replace it over the phone maybe? It's not like they can see how many stuck pixels there actually are, and some of them might magically fix themselves in transit...

20. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Lots of good replies and ideas. Thanks folks. Part of my problem is the travel schedule that I keep. I'm leaving for another 2 weeks in a few days and that just continues to push me out of the "urgency" mode that I need to be in to get things done.

It's the way I operate. Anyway, if people truely aren't screwing with me, I'm going to try the q-tip

21. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Lots of good replies and ideas. Thanks folks. Part of my problem is the travel schedule that I keep. I'm leaving for another 2 weeks in a few days and that just continues to push me out of the "urgency" mode that I need to be in to get things done.

It's the way I operate. Anyway, if people truely aren't screwing with me, I'm going to try the q-tip massage thing while running the color randomizing software suggested above.

22. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Sorry to hear about your Cinema Display, sounds like you're local store got a bad batch.

If my Cinema Display has one dead pixel upon delivery I would have put up a huge fuss. Hope you get things sorted out.

23. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

It doesn't even have to be a q-tip. You can simply use your finger to massage the screen.

I had a few stuck pixels on my pbook, and was completely devestated.
    But a bit of rubbing, and hey presto - a perfect screen.

24. Iyan macrumors newbie

My experience: I replace a 23-inch with a 20-inch

Originally I bought one in last November. But after careful examination, I found the backlight was not even in dark background condition with dim room light. Otherwise it's a gorgeous monitor.
    What did I do? I am a perfectionist and I want a perfect monitor. So the next day I went back to the Apple store and exchanged a 20-inch one. Since then forever happy for my decision. The store manager was't that happy about the return, but I just complained and said firmly that I am a devoted Mac fan, you can't charge me any restocking fee for that. Ironically, they even turned the lights off in the entire store to test my claim, and then took it to the back office to confirm what I said was true!
    This was at Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto, maybe people are more tech savvy to a certain degree.

25. arcsbite Guest

Not great for you, but I found this information somewhat insightful, not sure if it's of any help to anyone...worth putting out there though...