23" HD ACD First Impressions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by miniConvert, Mar 11, 2006.

1. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Scheduled for a Tuesday delivery, I was surprised this morning when my 23" ACD showed up. My mini wont be with me until at least Monday, so this first impressions is based on a few minutes of windows use and my general feelings.

Initially I was speechless. The box is huge, with a giant picture of the display on the front. Then I noticed 'actual size' written next to the aforementioned giant picture. I scratched my head and went back to bed.

A few hours later, with a bit of sleep under my belt, I started unpacking the thing. Wow, Apple has nice packaging. It doesn't stop there though - the plastics, and generally all the materials, used in the adapters, cables, assembly etc all have such a wonderful quality to them. Everything was extremely well packed away with a multitude of sticky plastic protecting all those lovely shiney surfaces.

So, to check for dead pixes, I plonked the thing on my desk next to my three Dell 2001FP LCD monitors. Three because one's hooked up to my old Dell, and two are hooked up to my Precision. Woah do my Dell's feel inadiquate now. Firstly, the real estate you get on the 23" ACD is mindblowing. I think I'd almost rather have just one 23" ACD than both the 20" Dell 2001FP's to be honest. Design wise? I love my Dell monitors and I know a lot of other people do too, but they just looked so cheap side-by-side with the Apple. SO cheap. Before this arrived I almost wondered if I'd done the right thing, given that everybody talks up the 'superior Dell's' that cost less. Oh, believe me, if you've considered an ACD but tightened your financial belt on the face of perceived value then my heart goes out for you right now.

There's only one word that can describe this monitor and it's Beautiful. When my mini arrives it's going to be one hell of a setup - you can see on the attached picture just where the mini is going to sit, hiding the mass of wires.

One minor annouance though - the connector for the power is integrated into the single cable leaving the monitor. Lovely I thought at first. However, most people have the mini on their desk, and the power cable extension out of the main lead simply isn't long enough to reach from the floor to the work surface. I've had to stand my ACD power adapter, which is quite small fortunately, behind the back of the ACD stand. At least it's hidden, but still a bit silly.

Anyway, I'll post more about my first-ever-Apple experiences when the mini arrives - hopefully it's going to make an awesome media hub with EyeTV!

(picture taken on the Sony Ericsson W900i, resized due to forum file size limits)

Attached Files:

2. Synapple macrumors regular

Yeah, that's a thing that's always bothered me as well. Nothing we can do, though.

Congrats on your new display... it really is awesome.

I was thinking of switching from my 20" to a 23", too: could you keep us posted on how it all works when your mini arrives?

3. Xcaliber macrumors newbie

Funny story..

I recently purchased a Power Mac G5 2.7 and of course needed a monitor. I had heard good things about the Dell 24" compared to the Apple 23". Some felt the Dell was a better monitor technically, while Apple was by far sexier.

So.. I ordered both, and set them up side by side. The Dell was slightly bigger. As far as screen quality, they were both excellent, splitting hairs.

However, in sheer looks and design, the ACD wins hands down, no contest. The frame, base and cables on the ACD were simply higher quality and just so dang sexy. The Dell looked cheap and bland by comparision.

The Dell was returned, the ACD has a home. End of story :)

4. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Thanks for the replies :)

@Synapple: I certainly will! Fingers crossed the mini has the 'umph'.

@Xcaliber: I'm glad you agree. Obviously when cost really is an absolute factor then the Dells are great at what they do and are more than acceptable. However, for those who can go the extra yard, the ACD will not disappoint. Though not always true, in this instance it's a case of getting what you pay for.

Btw, I'm in love with the touch-sensitive controls... my Dell's almost fall off the desk if I go to push a button ;)

5. Melkor macrumors 6502

Great post, that is one awesome looking monitor. I'm currently looking into getting an external for my PowerBook. Does anyone know if the 23" apple monitor would be compatible with my PowerBook, and would the resolution be good?

6. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

It will be. the 15" even supports the 30", I think.
    Great to see your setup, miniConvert! I switched to Apple with a Mac mini, too, which I'm proudly looking at right now.
    There's one thing, though. The rings at the bottom of your soundsticks should point to the wall. Like this:
    .../.../
    ../.../
    ./.../__
    .'|____|

EDIT: Had to put in the dots

7. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

iHeartTheApple

Awesome post! I'm looking foward to hearing how the entire things works out when the mini arrives. This post is actually very helpful to me because I've been looking into the 23" Apple display and have also thought of the dell. I think I'll keep saving for the Apple...sounds like it'll be well worth it! :)

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Your post makes me want 20 or even 23 inch monitor so badly :eek:

However, I'm stuck with 17 :D

9. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

@SHOTGLASS

i thought it didnt matter where the rings for the soundsticks where pointing. Does it make any difference, or just preference? A mate of mine hangs his upside down, with the rings hanging on a shelf!

10. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

They're designed to be used either way, even hung upside down.

Rich.

11. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Lol, I guess it's down to personal preference, but I did turn mine around at some stage. The base isn't the best feature of the Soundsticks, so I prefer it now that they're not so 'in your face'.

Of course, my ACD is doing squat again right now since Mac mini No.1 died. Criminal :(

12. bradc macrumors 6502

You made the right choice! I bought my 23" this time last year and loved it...then I wondered what would two be like? So in September I bought another one;) I love the monitors prescence, solid aluminum base and its minimalistic design is perfect for me. That said the Dell's are good for all their features, but I don't need them, and for colour proofing I love my ACD's.