23" HD Cinema Display and Warcraft 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by AznBboy58, Aug 14, 2005.

1. AznBboy58 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I recently bought the older 23" HD Cinema Display (plastic casing) and it works perfectly fine except when I play Warcraft 3. Everytime I play, about 5 minutes into the game, the screen begins to display some kind of digital distortion and noise. It gets worse every second passes and eventually my screen goes completely black (but the game is still going on because you can hear it still going). Has anyone had this problem before or know what is causing it?

Thanks in advance.

2. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

hey AznBboy

If the sounds keep going then there's nothing wrong with your computer. Are you playing at a higher resolution in the cinema display than you were on your older display? What kind of graphics card do you have?

It looks like the problem may be due to either the graphics card overheating, or problems with the computer's motherboard in is ability to supply steady power to the card. Try to find a replacement card and see if it still works or try to turn your resolution down on the cinema display to what you used on your old monitor to see if there's any change. if so, it's the card.

3. AznBboy58 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey topicolo,

Thanks for the response. Yes indeed, I have been using the 17" LCD Display beforehand and it has always worked perfectly fine. I am running a Dual 2.5Ghz G5 with the stock Radeon 9600xt 128mb that came with the computer. Everything else works fine (I do a lot of video editing and have never seen any problems then ... it only happens when I play Warcraft 3). That video card should be more than enough to handle the monitor, right?

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I think the problem is with the graphics card. If you want to play games on a 23 inch display, I would get a much better graphics card, such as the Nvidia 6800 or the ATI X850. There are just too many pixels to move quickly with that graphics card to have good gaming.

5. dermeister macrumors 6502

dermeister

Hahaha, pixels don't move. At a refresh rate of 60 Hz, the LCD is updated from a display buffer of size [(1920x1200 pixels) x (3 bytes/pixel)]/[1 MiB/(1024*1024 bytes)] = 6.6 MiB 60 times per second.

It doesn't matter how the display buffer changes, it is sent to the display 60 times a second regardless.

His graphic card is probably heating up from warcraft 3 being too strenous while driving such a display.

6. AznBboy58 thread starter macrumors newbie

LoL .... you guys just gave me justification to spend more money on a system I layed tons of money for already :)

What do you guys suggest for a card. I can get the Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition for $199 now. Would that be good enough, or should I buy something like the Radeon X850XT?

I really don't play games (Warcraft 3 is the only one I play) as I mainly built my system for video editing. What other things would be bumped up in performance by getting a better graphics card (I know Motion will get a nice boost)?

7. JasonL macrumors regular

I run the 9800 SE, and am pretty happy with it. Unfortunately, I don't have a 23" display to test out Warcraft on for you. :p I can say, however, that it is a significant upgrade from the 9600XT.

Something to check out might be this review. It's a test of various cards driving a 30" ACD, so you would likely get somewhat better results with re: to fps in games, etc.

As you can see there, the 9800 SE is a substantial upgrade over the 9600XT...but the X800/850XT, and 6800, are substantial upgrades over the 9800. For $200, though, the 9800 probably will provide you the performance you need at a pretty reasonable cost.

8. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

well before you go out and splurge on a new video card, make sure it has a good return policy, because if it's not the video card that's going bad and the cinema display instead, you may want to return the new card. Anyway, a newer graphics card may give you speed improvements in quartz extreme and some programs which use core image in Tiger as well as 3d games, obviously.

9. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Although it does sound like an over heating card from your description, this shouldn't happen unless the cooling is really bad, or it's overclocked. The game should simply look choppy.

10. JasonL macrumors regular

I agree. That card should should drive that display, just not incredibly well.

11. AznBboy58 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would think that it may be the video card as the display runs perfectly fine with everything else (Final Cut Pro, Motion, general use, etc). It is only when I load up Warcraft 3 when I get these issues to arise. Oh well, I find it funny that a game as grahphically not-really-intensive like Warcraft 3, would make my monitor go crazy like this at its native resolution (considering that this was Apple's high end model) :confused:

12. AznBboy58 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting .... I tried playing with a lower resolution (1600x1200 - which placed black bars on the sides of m monitor to make it 4:3) and although there still was distortion, it was FAR less this time and my monitor didn't freak out ... can I safely assume it is indeed the video card?

13. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

ya i play on a 20 inch cimema fine with an ATI 9600... :cool:

14. AznBboy58 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions ...

I just bought the X800XT and everything runs sooooo smoothly now at the highest resolutions, its great!!! (although, I know this card may be overpower for WC3 but what the heck ...)

15. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

I'm calling BS on the needing a "better" graphics card. You might need a knew one, but not a better one. I play W3 flawlessly on a 64mb video card housed in an Alum 1.25 PB, and I use a 20" for games. a 128 should be plenty as long as the card is functioning properly.

16. angelneo macrumors 68000

He has already solved his problem and he is happy with his new card, why do you still bother calling some of the solutions BS?