23" HD display and 15" PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Eevee, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

I have a 15" PB (128 VRAM) and would love to have an external monitor (real estate). I remember once that someone had a fabulous picture of his 15" PB and a 23" (?) display on a thread!

I was wondering if it's worth the $ to purchase a 23" HD Display now. I will be using it for Word, Excel, Photoshop, illustrator, iMovie, and periodically watching DVDs. Also, I am planning to purchase a dual G5 next July, so a monitor would be needed. Will Apple update their display then? Should I wait then, or is the update a minor one that's not worth waiting for?

Eevee

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I really can't imagine the displays getting updated for a long time. If you want it and will make use of it now, then just buy it I'd say.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the previous generation of 23" monitor was out for well over a year before it was updated. These displays are still very new; the 30" is barely even shipping now. There's no indication that of apple planning to update at any time in the foreseeable future. If you wait, it could be over a year for minor upgrades. Buy now.

4. BigEvan23 macrumors member

BigEvan23

BAM!!!

Were you referring to my setup?

Attached Files:

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Dude, that set-up ROCKS!!

6. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

That's it!!

That was the set up I was talking about! It totally rocks!

This is a dumb question, but do you need a special cable to hook the PB to the 23" display? The previous generation displays required one.

Thanks for the info everyone. I got $$ to burn so I will be buying one soon. Too bad I can't get the 30" which requires the huge video card for my PB.

7. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

BigEvan23,

I noticed that the lid for your PB is closed. I remember reading somewhere that this could create too much heat for the PB? Probably not, but just want to make sure.

And what's that thing on the left side of your PB? Just curious.

Again, that set up is so...cool!

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

No special cable - it's straight DVI.

Wish I was in your cash shoes, though. I could use a new 23"!

9. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

A lot of people worry about this, but as long as you have an external keyboard and mouse attached, you can run the Powerbook closed when it's connected to an external display.

Outta interest though BigEvan - that's a wireless keyboard, right? I was under the impression you needed a USB keyboard for the Powerbook to work with the case closed. I'm hoping wireless is also supported, and it's not just your cable neatly hidden - wireless is much more elegant!

Can't wait for my 20 inch display to arrive now, will be hooking it up to my 12in Powerbook! :) Will post pic!

Edit: On a related note, but not worth starting a new thread for; does anyone know if the iCurve raises the Powerbook screen to the same height as the 20in display? Otherwise spanning would be interesting to say the least :eek:

andy.

10. BigEvan23 macrumors member

BigEvan23

It is indeed a BT keyboard and BT mouse. Both wake up the computer just fine!

-Evan

11. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

BigEvan,

Thanks for the quick reply!

That's a hot setup, hopefully mine will be just as hot (but smaller... lol) once I eventually get the keyboard and mouse then! Glad to know wireless is an option!

Incidentally, I just checked e-mail and my order has shipped! Cinema display and LaCie 160gb firewire drive are on their way! It says 2-3 days estimated, so I'm *hoping* either for Friday - a longshot - or that the company delivers Saturdays.

Can't wait!

andy.

12. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

The best setup ever

Is this a homage to APPLE or what?

How does the actual setup work when connecting a PB to a display?

where are the resolutions?
    I looked in display and the res for that display doesnt show.
    I am getting a new display soon and wanna know
    thanks!

13. furrina macrumors regular

scratches

I have a similar setup at home (15" pb, 20" cinema display, wireless kb/mouse) and while it works great for me in general, I found that the laptop has pretty badly scratched up the base of the monitor where it sits, as well as leaving a sort of black-ish wear marks on it. also the bottom of the laptop (both of which are less than 6 months old) has gotten quite worn from this. This does not affect the functionality of either of course, and it's really no big deal, but I'm surprised that the base of the Cinema Display isn't more hardy since it totally looks as if its made to have something sitting tucked into that spot to save space.

Also, I run my laptop closed, and it does get hot around the back. I'm pretty sure this won't damage it. But I sometimes open it a bit when I'm running processor intensive apps like Final Cut Pro.

14. BigEvan23 macrumors member

BigEvan23

NO SCRATCHES...I'll explain...

Hey furrina, try using that little sham that comes with the hd display to clean it as a cushion for the powerbook. I keep the little cloth betwixt them at all times (yes I said betwixt...im feeling saucy) and there are no scratches as a result.

Hope this helps.

Evan

15. spasticmutant macrumors member

I have the 23" HD monitor and the 15" powerbook configuration as well, but I take my powerbook around with me during the day so I have a coolpad for it next to the monitor that acts as a de-facto docking station when I'm home. I have another at work. My usage model doesn't accomodate my moving of the monitor to pull the laptop out from under it frequently. I aggregate the left and right cables using cable ties so I can pop them in and out quickly. To conserve desktop real estate, I'm considering mounting the monitor on an arm using the VESA compliant mounting kit.

See: http://www.ergoindemand.com/lcd_monitor_arms.htm

This gets the monitor off the desk. The next exercise will be to get the laptop off the desk, preferably in an under-desk (or side-desk) mount of some kind that will still allow me to slide the laptop in and out and attach plugs without too much trouble. An ideal solution might involve BookEndz, but I haven't seen them advertised with the current 15" laptop configurations - they seem to be for older models.

Anne Marie

16. diehldun macrumors 6502a

That's a very cool and neat setup, but wouldn't it just make more sense to have a Powermac or an iMac G5 instead?????

17. BigEvan23 macrumors member

BigEvan23

I have an iMac G5, and a 1.5ghz upgraded G4 tower. Im waiting for the next revision of the G5 tower so I can add another 23 inch monitor to the setup. I like the portability of the laptop for when im on the road and when Im not I use the big boy CHD.