23 inch cinema display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tiggle, Feb 7, 2007.

1. tiggle macrumors member

From looking at the ACD and some other models (Dell and Samsung) I noticed a couple of differences in tech spec. The apple is contrast ration 700:1 the Samung is 1000:1

Does this make a large difference in quality?

The apple is an active matrix screen, the dell says it is flat pannel lcd (the larger models state they are actrive matrix..so I assume there is a difference).

Again, what difference in the quality of image will this make.

I will be using the monitor mostly for photoshop and some games play.
    Thanks in advance

2. itsme92 Guest

Unless you really want an official Apple monitor, get another brand. They are far less expensive, and in the end they all buy the same panels from subcontracters.

3. nurfen macrumors member

No, they all (except Samsung) buy their panels from ... Samsung ;)

4. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Be careful, the Dell 24" display uses an S-PVA panel, as opposed to the S-IPS panel in the Apple.

5. tiggle thread starter macrumors member

So, basically, there is no advantage in buying an ACD? They are no better quality than other brands?

6. nurfen macrumors member

...they're much better looking? ;)

No, seriously. As long as you don't buy Acer :p , you basically get the same screen in a different package.

7. tiggle thread starter macrumors member

Ok, what if I rephrase the question this way:

If I am seduced by the looks of the ACD, am I forgoing any quality of display than if I bought another brand? Are the looks of the ACD compensating for a substandard monitor?
    Thanks again all.

8. nurfen macrumors member

No, the quality's the same as other brands.. Except lo-qual brands, of course.

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I disagree, Apple uses a different/better quality display then some other manufacturers. You just can't compare two displays from different manufacturers just by price. You have to look at the kind of display for a start, and such a display has different features, like response time, brightness, contrast, etc. You can't compare a Dell with much faster response time and "better" contrastratio with an Apple ACD. The specs of the Dell are higher, but aren't better (in my opinion). This is because they use a different kind of screen. First you will need to know what kind of screen you want and which models uses this screen, then you can compare the different models with each other. There was a good thread about this a couple of weeks back. All the differences between the types of screens where explained. Look it up and read it!

Here is the thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=252327

10. uNext macrumors 6502

Apple does not manufacture their own displays and its been proven that they use the same displays that dell uses.

So how can they be inferior then dells?

You sound so biased -everything that apple makes is not gold
    and ofr teh price their asking for you can get a 2007 model with way more features and connections. With what apple is asking for their 23" you can most likely get a dual display setup going with another company.

I love apple i own a macbook pro and macpro but to say everything based on apple is gold is just not true.

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

That is not true, like another poster said the Dells use PVA monitors. Not that it is bad, PVA is getting very good these days to the point where even Eizo is starting to use PVA panels in their top of the line displays.

And Eizo displays are top of the line, even above Apple's.

Nope. It looks cooler and may get you laid, but as a display it has no special characteristic that makes it better than every other display, apart from the fact that it uses S-IPS panels which are a notch above consumer displays based on PVA/TN panels.

Actually they are of inferior quality. The Dells have a higher precision LUT last I heard. The Apple's don't even support contrast controls, so much for making things simple for the user.

There are more than just the panel that comprises a LCD display, the control electronics plays a huge role too.

If you want to properly calibrate a monitor you need contrast controls.

The only thing about the 23" Apple that is ahead of the 24" Dell is probably the S-IPS panels that Apple uses, but if colour gamut is not a huge consideration it is not like the OP will feel the difference.

Besides the ACDs are absolutely lousy for games due to longer response times, whereas the Dell might actually serve his needs better in this regard. It has nothing to do with Apple bashing or Dell trolling, it is just a characteristic of Apple displays.

If you are serious about your photo editing take a look at NEC's fabulous line of S-IPS/LED backlit professional displays (warning: costs even more than Apple's as hard as it is to believe that Apple's products are not the most expensive in the industry).

If you want to game go for the Dell.

12. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I never said Apple makes its own screens, they use them from LG for the ACD line. Dell also uses LG screens, some with the same S-IPS display as Apple uses (20" for instance). I'm not biased, I know that there are better products out there. Cheaper displays usually have another/cheaper kind of screen in it. Mostly they don't have good color accuracy if you look from the middle of the screen to a corner, especially with larger displays. These displays have other advantages, faster response time, more brightness and contrast. Personally I get a headache from those kind of displays when working a lot of hours behind it. All I'm saying is you can't compare one display with the other because it uses a different technique.

Also Eizo does use PVA screens in their cheaper line, in their pro line they still use S-IPS displays. We have them both at work and it makes a big difference if your working behind the consumer line or the pro line.

13. tiggle thread starter macrumors member

Well, I decided to go with a DELL 22 inch. I just ordered it for US344, which seemed liked a great price. This is from DELL's official website. It is heavily discounted at the moment.

My thinking was this....The ACDs look great. I am sure the ACD 23 inch is better quality than the Dell I just ordered, but the price difference is huge. I think that the ACDs will be updated later, and buying one now might not be the best move. At the price I paid for the DELL, I can pass it on to my wife to use at her office if I really hate it or the quality sucks too much!

Thanks for the input all, I will let you know about the quality when it arrives.
    Cheers.

14. Tangerine macrumors regular

Tangerine

I would recommend the 23 ACD but sadly, almost all of them have stuck pixels and backlight bleed. Other then that, the ACD have better color and more crisp. I notice it right away when playing game on it versus Dell. But I havent seen an ACD without stuck pixels and backlight bleed yet. I return mine.

15. Georgie macrumors member

What kind of screen is in the iMac?

I don't have the means to go out and buy an PVA and a SIPS monitor, whatever the panels are called. However I would like to see the difference, because I'm willing to pay for a higher quality screen if I can really tell the difference. So for comparison purposes, what kind of screen is in the iMac. That might give me and others an idea of whether one technology is good enough. And if you tell me it's a PVA screen, where can I compare with better screens. The Apple Store is one place, but they don't really let you pick up an iMac and sit it next to a big ACD.