Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a cinema display here in Geneva (Switzerland), and I have two points that irritate me.

#1 : One stuck pixel (green) in the middle of the screen. I tried to rub it with energy, and to play this video

http://www.psp-vault.com/Article168.psp
for a few minutes. Both resulted in failures. Now. The pixel can only be seen in black background (on white it cant be seen unless sitting 1" before the screen).Also, have I not rubbed enough, neither played the video long enough?

I really ruined myself on this screen (nearly my job pay for July). I love this screen, it's beautiful, I was really blown away, coming from a bulky Gateway 17" CRT screen I had to tickle the gamma and stuff to make it look ok.

Do I need to complain at the store? The were real nice and said before I left if there was a dead pixel (less than 3), they would exchange it against the demonstration display, which they never had to do. I said OK, then I'll try it at home. No problem. I left, shaking his hand.

I didnt purchase the one on demonstration because of the newly upgraded specs I wanted my money for. He said the one I walked out with and ordered was a 700:1 contrast. Great.

Can I check if it is really one?

Here's the serial number: M9178DS/A

Where can I know if it is the newest revision?

If it isn't, then I will go back to the store, and they will exchange it, but otehrwise, tell me if I SHOULD go. I love this shop and don't want to complain. He oppened in the afternoon just for me. So nice:)

Right now i'm watching American History X (B&W), and I'm really blown away buy the quality :eek:

SOOO, tell me your experience with Apple, your store, and your stuck-pixel-display.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, this is, you will figure, URGENT. SOrry for the length :eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Hmmm...most places won't exchange a display for a single dead pixel. But there's no harm in asking if it bothers you, especially since they said they'd do it.

The model number remained the same after the upgrade. But there is a way to tell the difference by looking at the box...I just can't remember exactly what it is. I think the new ones say on the box that they require OS X 10.4.6. I think there's another difference as well, but I'm blanking on what it is.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
WildCowboy said:
Hmmm...most places won't exchange a display for a single dead pixel. But there's no harm in asking if it bothers you, especially since they said they'd do it.

The model number remained the same after the upgrade. But there is a way to tell the difference by looking at the box...I just can't remember exactly what it is. I think the new ones say on the box that they require OS X 10.4.6. I think there's another difference as well, but I'm blanking on what it is.

THANKS!

Ouch, and ouch

"Requires Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later"

Nevertheless, if what you are saying is true, that would mean I'd get a better and spotless screen if the guy verfies the specs correctly. I'd need to know precise ways to prove him, he doesn't know much, something like Best Buy maybe?
:p

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Yes, the official policy is 7-8 dead pixels before they'll exchange. HOWEVER, if the pixel is centrally located and very distracting they may do it for even one. Usually, the deciding factor is what you do with the display. If you make a living as a photographer/graphic designer or in general someone who *critically* needs excellent quality display, and the dead/stuck pixel is right in the middle of the screen obstructing your work, then even if it's just one pixel, they'll exchange.

The bottom line however is that it depends on the people you are dealing with. It is my understanding that in general it's hard to get a break from Apple resellers abroad, or even Apple themselves abroad, compared to the U.S. However, if you complain and beg enough, and make a strong enough case (always politely), and try to take up your case higher, they may cave in and exchange for even just one pixel. In other words, YMMV. Good luck!

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
thanks,

I will go then, with my display. The main purpose of this purchase was photography, and it's in the middle of the screen :p

However, it'll be even more easy if the Revision isn't the one I asked for before the order.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.