$239.40 for a New Set of Restore CDs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaw04005, May 6, 2005.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I misplaced my software kit, and called Apple today to see about ordering a replacement set of 12 discs (1 application cd, 1 Mac OS X cd, 1 OS 9.2 cd, 9 software restore cds).

The representative told me that each disc cost $19.95 plus tax, bringing my total for a software kit to $239.40. :eek:

Anyone else think that is ridiculous? Maybe $19.95-29.95 for the entire kit. Gosh. Needless to say, I think I will keep looking for the software set.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That is pretty ridiculous...you're saying that for the 9 CD set of restore discs, they're actually charging you 9 times? Since you want several unrelated things, I could see a total of 4 charges, but 12 is silly.... Isn't the software restore available as a DVD? And why do you need the OS X and OS 9 disks if you get the software restore CD or DVD?

3. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

The rep (Tier 2 level) said that each disc cost $19.95, and that I could purchase any disc individually, but for the entire set it would cost $239.40.

If I wanted software restore cd 2 of 9, I could purchase just disc 2 for $19.95.

They don't offer my iMac G4's restore cds on a DVD. I personally don't use the restore cds, however I wanted the complete set in case if I ever sold the iMac G4. The person I sold it to might want to restore the computer back to its orginal settings.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Guess it's off to eBay you go... Although I'm sure that most buyers would look more favorably on a free copy of Tiger than on Restore CDs, and at this rate, that'll be a lot cheaper! :D

Alternatively, I think in this limited case, you would be very justified in getting someone who has a similar model to burn you copies. Shhhhh...don't tell anyone I said. But $240 for a new copy of discs to which you already hold a license is senseless....

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Whats on these 9 CDs? If its the same thing thats on, say, one or 2 PowerMac restore DVDs, you could get everything for a lot cheaper