24" Dell Monitor as a TV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Devie, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Devie macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

My mate is about to buy a Macbook (woot another convert), and wants to get a Dell 24" with it (hella cheaper than the Apple 23"). He also wanted to use it as his TV.

Is it logical/possible to use this monitor as a TV?
    Refering to this one on this page

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

With some sort of TV tuner/input yes it's perfectly possible. I use a 2005FPW as a TV with a Mac Mini and an Elgato EyeTV device...

3. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Yes it'll work, I use a 2405FPW with an Xbox 360 as a TV.

You'll need some sort of TV tuner or set-top box to connect up most likely via S-Video or Component. The aspect ratio of the Dell is 16:10, widescreen TV is 16:9 so you'll end up with small black bars at the top and bottom of the screen unless your TV device has a zoom or aspect ratio adjustment function.

4. arcsbite Guest

I have my 2405 hooked up to my blackbook, my iMac and my 360
    I use the Elgato EyeTV for my TV use and it's fantastic.

5. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I'd be very careful before buying the Dell 2407. I too am looking to get a screen in that size range, but there seems to be many problems with the new model (apparantly, the last one, the 2405 was good). These range from bad colour banding (which some say still isn't fixed), to the cursor leaving coloured trails behind, to the component input being of very low quality. If they were to fix all of these, I'd gladly consider the display. As it is, the problems with this, and some of the Apple ones leads me towards higher-end manufactures like Eizo.

Anyone want to buy a kidney?