24 hours of video games!

Discussion in 'Games' started by wordmunger, Feb 25, 2005.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Starting at 5:00 a.m. EST on Saturday, February 26, my son and I will be conducting a bold experiment: to play 24 hours of video games without breaks. I will be posting LIVE updates via my blog, Word Munger. The first post is up now. I'll post several times tonight to describe preparations for the big day!

2. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

3. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Don't have the lights off!

I played Halo 2 in the basement for for hours in the dark, ans I got a huge headache.

Good luck!

4. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Sheeesh, some kids just get the cool dads I guess.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

There was a guy who hip-hop danced for over 100 hours straight with only a 15 minute break every 8 hours. It certainly possible to stay awake for that long.. :(

6. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Go wordmunger, go!!!

PS. Let me know if you guys are playing Halo 1 online!!

7. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

You are the coolest dad ever. I wish my dad would just not have a problem with me playing video games. Everytime i go to play xbox he's on my back bitching to me. Good luck with your little mission. Definatly don't play with the light off, you will regret it. I can't even imagine what your brain is going to feel like after sitting in front of a screen for that long.

8. hardon macrumors regular

it may be the weekend, and you as a father may be with your son. But! to encourage your son to play filth for 24 hours is not on!!! as a decent father you should be COD or WOW.

what father would subject his son to such tacky tripe!!!! get a life,,, the fact that your on a console makes it even more unbealiveable!!! at least use a keyboard fcs. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:

9. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

10. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Problem with non-console games is no multiplayer mode. I suppose we could have gotten an extra copy of Warcraft and played over the network, but I kinda like the side-by-side aspect of console action.

BTW, I'm only cool in short spurts. Normally we only allow 1 hour of "tech time" per day, 1 and a half on weekends. This is a once-a-year type of event.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

WM, your wife doesn't...say...read your blog from time-to-time does she? If she does, you have commited a fatal error in breaking the rule "thou shall leave no evidence of something that will get me into trouble later if found." (Likewise with this thread, btw.)

Alternately, if she doesn't read your blog, you are safe (unless your son sells you out for $$), but then she hardly seems supportive, now does she?

Have fun. Be a gracious loser too (hey, maybe you'll win, but I'd be outmatched by a 13 year-old, my reflexes and eye-hand coordination/dexterity only evolved to the PS1 stage...then too many buttons.)

12. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

That's going to cause a serious case of nintendo thumb.

13. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Hey man great idea I think I will try and match you... (got to 60 on wow last night time to start over)

14. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Thanks for all the support everyone. Two more posts up on Wordmunger.com. We've moved the Gamecube down to the big TV with the surround sound system. But no gaming tonight--got to keep those thumbs fresh!

EDIT: Blackfox: the wife actually knows about this, and will be following from her parents' house on the other side of the country. I think mainly she's glad she's not here. Of course, she'd never put up with it if she was in the same state with me!

EDIT2: Aawolf: you're a brave guy! If you make it, you should put a comment on the blog over at Word Munger.

15. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

WoW rocks! Sorry, had to say that, anyway, I'm the son of the wordmunger dude, and I think that this is the best (mabye only) idea that my dad has ever had.

BTW, if anyone cares, I'm kingkrispy on librarim online and warcraftiii.net. On LO I'm almost always on either the tyranid or necron forums, and on warcraftiii.net, I'm always on the NElf forums (yes, I wrote the nooby stratguide, sorry about that).

16. applekid macrumors 68020

Hey, that's still cool. It's better than what my parents allow.

Anyhow, I'll be following the blog. I suspect some big headaches will be in store for the both of you :) In all honesty, I've been getting headaches from staring at TVs and computer screens for the last two days almost without breaks because school has been closed due to snow, and I seriously have nothing better to do! (my sad life... :( ) I also hypothesize either of you will get bored and will want to take some sort of break or finding gaming for that long a period gets tedious.

Also, are the games you rented the only games you'll be playing? I for one might get bored by all of them if I had only those four games to play for 24 hours. Metroid Prime 2 might be able to keep you busy long enough to beat the whole game in 24 hours, if you don't get bored by it first. But, since this is like playing games with a friend, you could turn out to have tons of fun even with the worst of games. My friends and I usually figure out how to have fun even with the crappiest of games.

Anyhow, good luck to the both of you. Hopefully you both survive. *salutes* And have fun!

17. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, it's off to bed for me. I better get at least 6 hours of sleep before I'm up for 24 hours straight. 'Til tomorrow.

18. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Only four hours in, and my fingers are already numb. We've got a few pictures up over at Word Munger. My brain is already mush. We'll see how I'm doing after a few more hours of this.

19. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

If your having problems after 4 hours then your in trouble. I'm sure the average gamer can last a solid 6-8 hours before feeling like there eyeballs are going to explode. I used to play Rainbow Six 3 on xbox live for 8-10 hours straight every saturday when it first came out. But keep going.

20. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Take little breaks while the game is loading by closing your eyes or looking at something other than a bunch of lights moving fast. Good luck-

Would love to see a list of games you are playing-

21. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well it's 9:43 EST now. He only has several more hours to go.

EDIT: I would too like to see a list of the games you are playing.

22. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

I would also love to see a list of games you and your lucky one are playing!!

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You may now safely switch from pop tarts to chips and guac.

24. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

25. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816