24" Imac - 2.16 or 2.33GHz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cervaro, Sep 15, 2006.

1. cervaro macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy my first iMac soon, and was wondering if I'd notice enough of a difference if I upgraded the processor to 2.33GHz from 2.16GHz? £170 cost differential in the UK between the two. Pay for most of a new 80Gb Ipod at least if I chose the slower chip.

All advice appreciated from a soon to be novice Mac user. :)

2. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Get the iPod. The speed bump will be only slight. You dont sound like a pro so you wont need the extra few % of speed.

If your a gamer you would be better upgrading the graphics card.

3. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

That £170 is almost the full price of the 30Gig iPod (£189). Go for that. A marginally faster processor won't make a massive difference to your usage. the speed jump is only in the order of 7%.

Or spend the money on ram - it's far more important in OSX to have plenty of ram than to have the fastest processor.

4. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I ordered the following
    2.13Ghz
    2gb Ram
    7600GT

the ram and the graphics card will give me a much more power than the 2.33ghz processor. And i can always upgrade it in 2 or 3 years when the Core2Duo chips are in the bargain bin.

5. cervaro thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the input thus far. Still debating the value of Applecare versus the free 2 year extension to the standard warranty from Computer Warehouse here in the UK (doesn't cover parts though). May err on the side of caution.

6. macboy62 macrumors regular

macboy62

I bought an iMac 4 years ago and didn't get Apple care. Everything has been wonderful since I switched. I can do many things on my Mac that I found difficult on a PC plus I don't spend all my time "fixing" it so I got my life back too.

Everything that is bar one thing. At about 18 months the DVD stopped reading my newer DVDs. Many people had the same problem and those with Apple care got some help from Apple, some I think got replacements to the DVD drive. (I checked the discussions on the Apple site) Now at 4 years the drive has finally said no to reading and writing DVDs. Maybe it still would have broke but maybe I would have got 1 or 2 more years out of it if I had taken out the Apple care.

All types of insurance or a win some, lose some thing but when you cannot just open up the computer to change something as with the iMacs...
    I think I will be getting Apple care with my next iMac.

BTW Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Apple Care for the iMacs is CHEAP and well worth it when buying an AOI design or a notebook.

One Optical drive failure or something of that nature and you've more than covered
    the initial cost.

you don't need to buy it NOW, but remember your purchase date and buy AppleCare before you machine's first birthday.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've never had a problem with numerous Apple desktops, but like FFTT said- Applecare for the iMacs is pretty cheap. It's worth buying.

9. Apple2Mac macrumors regular

Apple2Mac

I usually buy what ever machine gives you the most bang for the buck, you calculate that by doing this
    24-inch iMac 2.33GHz = SpeedMark Score 259 = $2249.00
    2249 / 259 = $8.68 per SpeedMark

24-inch iMac 2.16GHz = SpeedMark Score 245 = $1999.00
    1999 / 245 = $8.15 per SpeedMark

So you get more bang for you buck if you buy the 24-inch iMac 2.16GHz

10. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I got the 2.33, even though I know it's really too much to pay for the extra speed. But I did it because I really won't have a chance to upgrade it for three years without losing Applecare.

Having said that, only consider it after getting the Video card, the HD, Applecare, and possibly the RAM, though you can do that yourself. They are all much better value than the CPU bump.

David

11. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Intersting calculation, I was going for the 2.16 anyhow, upping the RAM.