24" iMac, 20"iMac+MB, MBP+LCD - which to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KfackC, Oct 12, 2006.

1. KfackC macrumors member

Aug 4, 2006
    I decide to buy mac,
    but I have 3 choices:
    1)buy now iMac 24 inch.
    2)buy now Imac 20 inch,and later buy mybe Macbook.
    3)buy on december Macbook pro +lcd monitor.

Most of the time i use desktop buy but once in a long while i need portable.
    If you were me,
    what are you take?
  2. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    if you need a portable, why even bother listing choice (1)?

clearly you should decide if you really need the portable and then buy. if you decide you don't need a portable, get the iMac 24". if you need a powerful portable, go with the MBP + external display. if you just need something for checking e-mail or word processing, go with an iMac + MB.
  3. prady16 macrumors 6502

Aug 24, 2006
    Right There --->
    My vote is for the MBP + LCD Monitor. You would probably end up spending around $3000 or lesser depending on the monitor size. Get a TV/Monitor and a 15.5" MBP.
    Good luck!
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Option #2

If you need a portable computer and want a desktop computer as well, a 20" iMac and a MacBook would be a great combination. :)
  5. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen

I agree. That option gives you the best of both worlds for least amount of cash. You can spend extra money on upgrading the ram, etc. Plus even though synching is easy, there's something nice about having one machine with everything in one place.
  6. fall3n macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2006
    If you don't need a portable get a 24" iMac, it's amazing. If you do need one then go for the display/MBP combo, it makes more sense to have just one computer and then just an external HD for backup/more storage and pop some more RAM into that MBP and you'll be flying just as well as a desktop (maybe even better) for just a bit more money.
  7. clintob macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    New York, NY
    get the MBP and the monitor. the iMac is a gorgeous machine, but in the end, when you want to upgraed, you'll end up throwing away a perfectly good monitor. invest in a good cinema display and a good notebook for now. you can always pick up a used powermac or mac pro in a few months if you want a hefty machine to work off at home, or you can even pick up an iMac and string the monitors together for extra workspace. there are more possibilities that way.
  8. kgarchar macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    i say mbp+monitor for the same reasons everyone else has said

i'm doing the same, also
  9. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    MBP + monitor.

Don't buy 2 computers at the same time. In a few years you'll want to replace both instead of replacing just one.
  10. prady16 macrumors 6502

Aug 24, 2006
    Right There --->
    Excellent point!:)
  11. 4JNA macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2006
    looking for trash files
    none of the above.

buy the 24" imac, and pick up an used/refurb ibook. better computer, and something for portable that will last forever for cheap. ;)
  12. freebooter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2005
    Daegu, South Korea
    I'm in somewhat the same boat, so I feel your...hesitation? Since you haven't really said what you do with your computer, and since our similar wants may stem from different needs, I'll just add my own thoughts, rather than advice.

Me? At present, I only use/need a desktop. And, I can think of uses for a laptop. I do the usual, light things, plus a lot of amateur photo editing, which calls for more speed/storage than I have at the moment. An iMac 20" plus a 20" cinema display is my likely choice. I'd love to get the 24", but I don't think the display is quite appropriate for photo work.
    Further complicating my choice is the fact that I live in a foreign land that may become a war zone in a year or two, making the portability of a MBP attractive. Were I in my native land (Canada), I'd likely buy the new MacPro tower plus....

In any case, in matters of this sort, patience is often called for.

ps. I like the advice of 4JNA, unless you do color critical work.
  13. KfackC thread starter macrumors member

Aug 4, 2006
    My uses is simple things like: internet,ofiice,music and photo and movies(no pro ),
    (once in a long while i play games like NbA,peS).->
    I don't need portable often(for example->school) but mybe i want to take the computer to tours other time i uses Desktop.

After the details,
    I you were me , what are you take?
  14. KfackC thread starter macrumors member

Aug 4, 2006
  15. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    20" iMac & MB. You get two powerful machines which give you options to be mobile or stationary. Its a no-brainer.

Im a big fan of two machines especially now more than ever with Apple's recent QC. If something goes wrong you can always jump on the next one.
  16. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Before I purchased my 20" iMac Core 2 Duo I would of said #3, but having owned the iMac now I have to say #2. It's an amazing machine, it is ready for the 64 bit goodness of Leopard. You will end up keeping it a lot longer than any notebook you would end up buying. So there you go I say buy #2 or wait for the Santa Rosa based MBPs and ask again. ;)
  17. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Either the 20" or 24" iMac Now and a Penryn 45 nm processor MBP running Leopard when they arrive or...... a MacBook 2.0 refurb sooner as a transitional
  18. clintob macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    New York, NY
    always buy the best single computer you can afford. no sense in having two computers depreciating and aging at the same rate.

that said, of the list, i'd say it's a no brainer - either the larger iMac, or the MBP and a separate display. the differences are negligible in terms of performance. actually, i personally have found the 17" MBP actually outperforms the iMac in some respects, but it's all about what you use it for. in your case, for basic uses, you will never even approach the capacity of either machine, so just get an entry level iMac or a Macbook/MBP (Pro if you want the larger screen) and a larger display for home use. don't get two computers unless you absolutely need a workstation at home and a high-end notebook to work on the road.
  19. KfackC thread starter macrumors member

Aug 4, 2006

I canceld option 1.
    Have Just 2 options.
    One : Imac 20 inch and mybe(30%)i will buy the new macbook on the next year.
    Two:just Macbook pro(with out Lcd).

In one side , If i buy MBP is give me power everwhere but MBP heavy and very hot.
    In other side is more comfort to work with the imac than Mpb and less expansive but no portable.

95% of the time i uses the computer as desktop.
    (Imac 20 inch vs macbook pro )?
  20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    I agree even though he has canceled option 1.
  21. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    Id sa macbook pro. It has all the poer of a desktop, nd screen size. Wait a while and they what apple come sout with but it sure is nice to have a portable and the amcbook pro has the power youd need
  22. odedia macrumors 6502a

Nov 24, 2005
    I'd say 24" iMac, IF all you need is to move the computer around the house.

MBP is great, but still have gliches. It Heats up, has slower hard drives (most of the time) and smaller hard drives, moos, whines, etc. etc. Yes, i'm pretty sure most of these things are solved, but not all of them - especially the overheating. plus, it's still 32-BIT Core Duo, so atleast hold on for the revision.

A 24" iMac can be moved around the house pretty easily. I ordered one with an 80GB iPod. I'll put most of my videos on the iPod, and hook it up to watch the movies/videos in the living room. Plus, I got a pretty fast machine WITH the 24" screen for about the price of a good 15" MBP. In a few months time i'll get a macbook.
  23. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    20 inch iMac and MacBook would give you the best of both worlds, but it is probably the most expensive decision, and u will watch both of these machines drop in value.

I think it comes down to either the 24 inch iMac or MBP + LCD.

In that case, I'd choose....the 24 inch iMac. IT'S HUGE. IT'S POWERFUL. And you don't really need portability.
  24. KfackC thread starter macrumors member

Aug 4, 2006
    Thanks all,
    I decide to buy imac 20 inch.
    Maybe i will buy a macbook on the next year.
    What are you think about the decision ?
  25. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I think that's a wise decision since you've already stated that you use desktops "95% of the time." I'm like you in that I prefer using desktops over laptops.... so I've got a 20" iMac (granted, it's an older G5) and a 12" iBook. Works out for me. :p