24" iMac Backlight Issues?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by topgunn, Oct 2, 2006.

1. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I just received my 24" iMac and it only ha one problem that I can tell. The backlight gets dim on both the right and left sides of the LCD. Does anyone else have a similar problem on the 24" iMacs? If so, has anyone talked to Apple about and if so, what did they say?

This is not something I am terribly concerned about. Unless I have a solid color desktop or image across the entire screen, I can't really notice it. But when the computer boots up, it is quite obvious.

2. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

All LCDs have some level of uneven backlighting due to the way they produce their image. How uneven it is varies, partly with how much they cost - that's one reason why Eizo LCDs cost so much - instead of using one or two tubes and mirrors etc, they have direct backlights. Essentially, whether it is acceptable is down to you. If you can only see it with a completely even, bright screen, then that suggests to me that there isn't anything much wrong.

David

3. nodabs macrumors regular

This was one of the first things i noticed in booting up my iMac as well, both edges have some backlight "bleeding"... i've seen it before on other monitors but i believe it's more pronounced on the 24" screen, perhaps due to it's size. It doesn't really bother me, but i suppose it could be annoying if you were watching a movie that was letterboxed or something similar...

4. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

My MacBook have some arch shaped bleedings in the backlight, and that is the smallest computer display Apple produce today. I wouldn't count on it being due to the size. I notice it when booting and watching 4:3 movies (which I do a lot due to BootCamp and Family Guy). Do you think I'm in for a repair or?

5. dylan macrumors 6502

My 20" has is the same. With an all black desktop, cranked backlight and no lights it is VERY noticable. Should I call Apple?

6. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

it is a problem with many variants of LCD technology

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I would actually get it exchanged if it was obvious when having non-black images on the screen. I can to a limited extent live with my 2005 FPW having backlight bleeding while watching fullsize widescreen, but if it goes 4:3 or letterboxing it's just plain annoying. If you use the computer to work on, nevermind, if you also use it as a media center, send it back. It's not ok.

8. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar