24" iMac or 15.4 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jordygreen, Dec 26, 2006.

1. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

hey everyone as most other threads here are saying help me choose blah blah. Welli have been a windows user all my life since 95 and i have tested Vista and quite frankly its *****! :mad: so my friend has a macbook core duo and i played around on that and he only uses it to surf and listen to music, wheres i like to photoshop and im a budding photographer and im getting into it more and more everyday now so i think ill need more power for what i want to do.

I like to use photoshop and the adobe suite, but also do college essays and office work and surf the interweb and listen to music and chat with friends.

Well i have gone in my local Apple store and played around on all the machines and the ones that have stuck out is the MacBook Pro and the 24" iMac.

But as im going into college may need the portability but im not sure, i do at the moment also have a winodws laptop 17" but its alittle too big for portability. But i could possibly use that if i maybe needed, the specs arent great though. If i were to get the MacBook Pro i would use it as a main computer and connect it up to a monitor when at home at teh moment i have a 19" Widescreen running @ 1440x900 same res as the 15" MBP, i would eventually upgrade to a 24" Dell because i cant afford the ACD.

Im going to NYC next summer and that is the time i plan to buy an apple computer, so im pretty much asking for some help or deciding between the 24" iMac or the 15.4 MBP lower model ( i would purchase some RAM myself 2GB). I will have roughly because its also my birthday around that time so i will have money and present for it about 2000$ to spend on an apple computer. Also is the iMac or MBP getting upgraded anytime inbetween now and July time.

And as im from the UK does the AppleCare Protection Plan act for all around the world so i could take it to a store in UK if it stopped working?
    Thanks alot for any info i do get =]

2. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

The imac 24" and the MBP have similar specs and will suit your needs just fine, so it really just comes down to portability. If you do most of your work on the road then the 15" MBP would be good and if not than go with the iMac.

3. buffalo macrumors 65816

If you're not going to be purchasing the computer until next summer, I'd wait and ask this question again when the time is nearer. The specs will probably change between now and then, advise given now might not be as relevant next summer.

4. jordygreen thread starter macrumors 6502

jordygreen

hmm well at the moment i dont do too much on the go so if it were for now i would get the 24" hands down, but just when in college i may need the portability i just dont know because at the college i want to go they have Mac Pro's with 20" ACD so i dunno if i would need to take the MBP there. But then again when i go out with the family on holiday it could keep me from getting bored withe MBP. And they have a similar spec that is why i chose them two.

5. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

AppleCare needs to be purchased in the country you're living in. It needs to be tied to an address in that respective country. So if you live in the US, you must buy a US AppleCare. If you live in the UK, you must buy a UK AppleCare.

After you've registered your AppleCare, you're covered worldwide. You can take it to the Japanese Apple Store if you wanted to.

6. jordygreen thread starter macrumors 6502

jordygreen

Ah right ok thanks for clearing that up for me.

7. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

By next summer, I would say yes, nearly every product would have been updated before then.

If I was in your shoes, I would get the 15" MBP. Its a great machine and will do you well for all your needs. Dont forget, a desktop computer is just that.. a desktop computer. A Portable can be a portable and desktop, especially the MBP's. Also, it means less cash value lying around your dorm incase you get broken into.

End of the day, buy what you feel you'd be more happier with.

8. jordygreen thread starter macrumors 6502

jordygreen

ye too true i didnt think about that aswell in dorms i think i know what im going for now because i can just easily hook the MBP up to a monitor and it will then also act like a desktop computer.

9. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

It comes right down to, would you rather have a laptop or desktop? PERIOD. If you've like to use your computer away from your desk, then don't get a desktop! Personally, ever since the TiBooks were released, I could never imagine owning a desktop

10. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I was of the same opinion until Apple released the 24" inch iMac, but then I already have a 12" PB so it would complement what I already have so I could have best of both.

11. Hadley macrumors member

I definitely find it more convenient using a laptop in a college setting. the ability to bring your computer with you to class and anywhere else you may be doing school work is great.