24" iMac questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cmm, Oct 11, 2006.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Does anyone own one? How does the monitor look? I'm considering buying one soon.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Many people own them, and the general consensus is that people love them (although there are exceptions). What would you be using it for?

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi jsw!

Nothing serious - just watching HDTV, writing papers, AdiumX, Firefox, and stuff like that. I'll open Photoshop once in awhile.

4. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

24" is a wonderful amount of screen space to have. Lots and lots and lots of pixels.

5. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, and I hope the speed is amazing as well. :)

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Don't worry about speed cmm, the 24" iMac with a Core 2 Duo processor will be a screamer! :D :)

7. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference when watching HDTV with the colours?

8. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I absolutely love mine! She's got a couple dead pixels, but I don't notice them really. I was afraid 24" would be too big- especially in my tiny, tiny bedroom in my tiny, tiny apartmen- but i's perfect! I am very happy that I didn' get the 20" instead.

9. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Uhh, just look down the board and I think you'll find the answers to your questions.

11. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I watch HDTV on mine and its very nice. I am using iRecord to capture mpeg2 streams from my HD cablebox. its nice set up and gives mes nice footage.

12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

The screen is amazing, a little dim on the sides though. No dead pixels.

13. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

How do you connect your iMac to your cable box? Does your box's firewire connection actually work?

14. Richie79 macrumors newbie

I got my 24" last friday and brought it back on tuesday. I had 10 to 12 stuck pixels on my screen. Ill be getting a whole new iMac 24" in 2 or 3 weeks or so :)

15. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

The screen goes for two things - size and brightness. While it does look good, the high constrast, slightly uneven backlighting and inability to turn the backlight down that much means that it is a poor choice for graphics and photo work. For watching DVDs, though, it is excellent.

For those interested in a top-notch display, I've just seen that Eizo, here in the UK at least, have dropped the price on their 24" display to about the same as the 23" ACD - that really is a bargain.

David

16. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks David, I appreciate the response. I won't be doing heavy-duty graphics work, but rather more of a home end thing, so it seems the iMac will be good for me (cf. watching DVDs).

17. wchong macrumors 6502

my 24" imac is on a fedex truck for delivery. i'm stoked and bummed cuz i can't see it until sunday when i come back. i'm going out of town today so ugh! how annoying

18. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I've had my 24" for 5 days. I absolutely love it. Using my PC, which has a 17" LCD monitor, feels like looking at a postage stamp.
    This thing is amazing - runs windows xp faster than any other machine I have used too! I'm playing Doom 3 in windows and it runs in 1600x1200 with video options maxed out ( I opted for the video card upgrade and glad I did).

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Download iRecord and run a Firewire cable from your cable box to your Mac.

If you're in the US, I think the provider must give you a FW-equipped box if you demand one.

Most (but not all) boxes (and providers) will work with iRecord and will allow you to record programming - but iRecord will not let you watch simultaneously (on the Mac - of course you can watch on a TV connected to the cable box) and requires that the box be tuned to what you're recording (obviously).

On the other hand, if prices are like here, for ~US$120/year, you can rent a second cable box and record HD. Storage requirements are steep though - 6+ GB/hour, as it records the stream itself with no compression.