24" iMac RAM: Kit or No Kit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdl8422, Nov 1, 2006.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I am doing some price comparisons on RAM for my iMac. Some websites like crucial say the ram does not need to be in pairs. Other websites say the 24" imac needs pair. I do not think they do need pairs because to max the RAM out u put a 2GB and a 1GB which are not pairs. Maybe I dont understand the kits. Who is right?, Oh, I have a 2.33Ghz if that changes things from the 2.16Ghz.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I don't understand why you went for the 2.33 but not the extra ram or 7600GT. The 1 GB it comes with is 2x512 which means that to put 2GB in, you need 2x1GB which cost more from OWC, Datamem, etc. than does the upgrade from Apple. Even if you take out 1 512 and put in a 1GB to go 1.5, the cost of the single 1GB stick isn't that much less than 2GB BTO from Apple when you bought it.

Just me opinion.

As far as the pairs. Matched pairs have marginal performance gains. A 512 + a 1GB will be just fine, however you mix and match, they just recommend matched pairs. Most likely you wouldn't notice the difference in daily use.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

BTW, I am officially jealous. I was going to get a 24" 2.33 2GB 500HDD 7600GT with Wireless KB & MM and my avenue for a good discount got delayed. So I just got a 1.66 refurb Mini to tide me over till I can get the iMac next spring, a la with Leopard and discount.

But a friend called me last night to tell me he bought an open box 20" ACD for $400, and I'm still using my 19" CRT.

Soon, well 4-6 months, so sort of soon.

4. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I got the upgraded processor over the RAM because i only had limited funds so I figured I could upgrade the RAM down the road. I dont play games on the computer so I wasnt concerned with the graphics card.