24" iMac Suggests 24" ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zwhaler, Sep 6, 2006.

Will Apple's next ACD lineup feature a 24" instead of 23"

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
  2. No

27 vote(s)
  1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    I don't know about you, but when I saw the new 24" iMac, it got me thinking if Apple will release their new ACD lineup as 20", 24" and 30". It makes more sense, but do you think they will do it?
  2. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2005
    Highly doubt it, the panels were recently updated, and there is no difference except for size. The 23" and 24" run the same resolution.
  3. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    I suspect the reason for 24" is that it will be using the (presumably) cheaper and lower quality 24" panel that Dell uses in their displays.

I've not measured / worked it out, but I would imagine the 23" is 100 DPI, as all Apple displays used to be (but they removed everything about that as soon as the high-res Powerbooks were released) so they may keep that for "pro" work.
  4. RichP macrumors 68000

Jun 30, 2003
    Motor City
    The Apple 23 is a complete and utter piece of junk, probably the worst quality-control thing apple makes currently. The backlight bleeds, ghosting is terrible, and they all have a pinkish cast that even color correction cant fix.

I think the 24 is an admittance that the 23" panel is crap, and Apple needs to just go with all the other LCDs out there that are 24" in 1920x1200 resolution.

If apple released 24" ACD, I would be overjoyed that the HD cinema displays were finally fixed.
  5. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow. Tell me how you really feel;)
  6. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    I really hope so. I hope it happens next week because I need a display like now!
  7. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    It keeps getting longer by the minute.
  8. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

May 25, 2006
    Arlington VA
    I wouldn't think so, if they were going to do another ACD update, then they should make a 17 inch ACD, for people like me :D
  9. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    i dont really know. it seems pointless to go from 23 to 24 inch. im guessing that they thought adding 3 inches of viewing are wasnt enough so went with foour. Im guessing that the display sizes will stay the same with the intro of a smaller or larger size, but will have some new element to them.
  10. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Shhh! Don't say that too loud or my flawless 23 inch ACD will hear you. I got almost no backlight bleeding, zero ghosting, and perfect color with no pink cast. Furthermore, no stuck pixels either. With the price drop it cost my only $899 (edu) and as a graphic design/computer science major I consider it the wisest financial investment of my nearly completed college career.

Try spreading the FUD a little thicker please! I think you missed a spot. :rolleyes:

edit: on topic - the 24 inch panels are, by nature of their lower pixel density, cheaper to produce. pity they couldn't manage to do away with the 'chin'
  11. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    Um....they replaced those silently at WWDC didn't they? I haven't heard of the new spec models having those problems.
  12. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    There have been issues, since Apple didnt change the model number it is tough to know if the old or new displays are exhibiting issues.

I am thinking of buying one, but I am going to wait til next week just in case they do something.

Does anyone know if there are some good 24" panels out there?
  13. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006

Probably the best yet is the dell. But that is only because I don't know of any other displays that are high def.
  14. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2004
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    I think there will eventually be a 24inch ACD, but not soon, me things Apple is testing the 24inch displays quality on the imac, if its adequate they will put them in the ACD to reduce costs, but I dont think this will happen soon.
  15. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    Hmmm... I know for a fact that all new 23" start with the model number 2A6260 and do not have any known issues.
  16. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004

Basically there's some information regarding the "new" 23" displays. Enjoy.
  17. RichP macrumors 68000

Jun 30, 2003
    Motor City
    If you look on Apples Discussion forums, even the "new" ones are exhibiting problems.

I have had a few of these monitors, all with problems, hence my bitterness towards them. Now that Apples monitor warranty is only 90 days, when the thing slowly goes pink over the course of a few months, there is no recourse.hence my bitterness towards them. My 20" ACDs are great, I just am rather vocal, because, I rather have 23"s with the quality the 20s and 30 exhibit.

I went to the new Apple store recently, and even the more recent monitors on the floor had a little pink compared to the other displays in the store.

I just want them to work...they are so beautiful otherwise :eek:
  18. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    That would be a serial number bud. And even the new ones have issues.
  19. thedonga macrumors member

Aug 14, 2006
    the 24" 'dell' pva samsungs are crap for real work. too bright, bad constrast, horrible for photo editing etc. i doubt very much the acd will be "upgraded" to the 24 ", it is not a pro panel.