24% Mac Market Share Rise & should I buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macusersoon, Sep 21, 2006.

1. macusersoon macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2006
    Hello all,

I am new to these forums, been watching and reading for a few weeks and have decided to join and post for the first time.

I've been thinking about buying a MacBook Pro as I do some video editing and Photo editing. It would be my very first Mac. I'm confused because I don't know I should buy now or wait as I've heard that Apple may be updating the MacBook Pro soon.

I also just saw that Apple's market share has risen 24%, so it looks like a lot of people like me are buying Macs. I really like the Boot Camp option so I can use Photoshop on Windows until Adobe releases a universal version
  2. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2006
    if you don't necessarily need it right away, then hold off until the new MBP come out, and CS3 will be out by next summer 2007
  3. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    well, to be honest macs are only getting more popular these days. so good time to join.

also, software is getting better and better. also more intel software.

if it wont work and you have a copy of adobe already? hell yeah jump in.

but video editing? photo work? buy the 17" version. with tons of ram.

make sure you get applecare, cause laptops have things happen.
  4. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2006
  5. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Macbook Pro sounds like a good option for you. If you can, wait until they are updated....hopefully (for those waiting) in the next few weeks.
  6. macusersoon thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2006
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I think I'll wait a bit but I will buy the next revision to the MacBook Pro.
  7. pagansoul macrumors 65816

Aug 10, 2006
    Wait till after MacWorld 2007 to get the new operating system loaded on your system unless you need the machine right now. Best time is in February/March after you read about what the first buyers are going through.
  8. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    I also heard that there was a 24% rise in jumping off bridges.. hmmm ;) following sheep won't always bring you to greener pastures... as Nike says, Just Do It!... Just buy the Mac you will be happy you did :) or wait, and wait, and wait some more and maybe someday you will be happy.. so either way, happiness is in your future :D so be happy.
  9. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    You damnable horses and your constant reminders of our relative inadequacies...
  10. Earendil macrumors 68000

Oct 27, 2003
    I'm going to disagree here. Sorry mdntcallr ;)

I have a 15" powerbook (specs below) that I use for a lot of Photography/Photoshop work. I can use the laptop on the road for minor work, but anything I want color proofed I take home to my external display, which has far more room, and is far more color accurate. There is a world of difference between a laptop screen and an LCD, and I don't mean from a perfectionist point of view, just set an LCD and a Macbook next to each other and few the same picture.

I suppose in video work color correction isn't needed as much, and if you are burning to be used on a TV, you could be color correcting with an external TV anyway. However, without checking, I'm betting you could get close to a decent 19 or even 20" LCD for the price difference in the 15" and 17".

Plus my 15" is actually portable, I just walked from work to a coffee shop 4 blocks away with it in my hand, and it didn't bother me a bit ;)

but DO STACK THE RAM UP. And don't do it at Apple. Get at least a gig in their, but if you can afford it from a place like crucial.com or OWC.com, I'd max it at 2.

The difference on my computer between 512 and 1.25 is absolutely incredible, even at the OS level :rolleyes:

11. Edge100 macrumors 68000

May 14, 2002
    Where am I???
    If everyone else jumped off a bridge......pretty soon it wouldn't be so bad.

Think about it.:)