Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Ready to order, actually been putting it off.
I was all set to with a base i5 27", now I see the older refurb 24" with 2.93 are going for a nice price.
I'll use it for basic internet, iwork, and GB, will likely upgrade to Logic in the future.
I will not be doing any intense recording. Backing tracks, few guitar parts. Likely never recording nothing more than my Duet can handle at once.

Do I save the $ and go for the smaller refurb or?

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
Ready to order, actually been putting it off.
I was all set to with a base i5 27", now I see the older refurb 24" with 2.93 are going for a nice price.
I'll use it for basic internet, iwork, and GB, will likely upgrade to Logic in the future.
I will not be doing any intense recording. Backing tracks, few guitar parts. Likely never recording nothing more than my Duet can handle at once.

Do I save the $ and go for the smaller refurb or?

In your situation, the 2.93 would have more than enough power. I used to work at a university that had 20" 2.4 GHz models and they handled Logic just fine.

You MAY find the bigger screen would be useful when editing, but on the other hand you could get a pretty nice external monitor with the $700 you'd save by getting the 24" model ;)

joe.cavers

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
Definitely the refurb, save the cash. I'm running fairly intense sessions in Ableton Live on a 2.33 MBP with 3GBs of DDR2 RAM. A 2.93 with 4/8 GB of DDR3 will be absolutely fine.

JC

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Thank you so much. Still debating. new 21.5 might work too. Oh, the 27 is purdy though!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.