24, season 4

Discussion in 'Community' started by sarae, Jan 9, 2005.

1. sarae macrumors 6502

Noticed the Lost + Alias threads, which got me to wondering: anyone else out there watch 24? Season 4 starts tonight, with a virtually all-new cast. I've been a fan since the first season, and am pretty happy that Kim isn't scheduled to be on this season - no more cougars attacking. :rolleyes:

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

kim will be making a few appearences i'm sure, I expect them to explain her story this first episode. She was only really essnetial as a character in the first half of season 1 but she made for some fine eye candy in season 2.

I'm pretty pumped about the new season, i'm glad nina, palmer, and many others won't be back, they're story lines were getting dry and uninteresting. The new cast is a way to keep people guessing, I mean I knew by the the third season that nina was all too dangerous as a character.

time to fire up the eyetv to make myself some dvds for intermitten rewatching.

3. cwright macrumors 6502a

24 is my absolute favorite show. I've watched every episode since Season One. Last season, my dad (who watches it with me) and I kept getting behind and then lost track of our recorded episodes... :D so we hardly saw any of Season 3. Anyway, just last week we bought the Season 3 DVD and watched all of the episodes back to back to get ready for Season 4, which starts in 15 minutes!

I'm excited, they're showing the first two episodes tonight, and then episode 3 and 4 tomorrow. Good way to get new viewers hooked I guess :)

I didnt know Kim wasnt going to be in this season... but I didnt find her near as annoying in Season 3 as I did in Season 2. In Season 3, she at least had a purpose in the show and wasn't just an annoyance. I did hear though that it was almost a completely different cast. Other than that, all I really know is that Jack is fired, and then ends up having to come back. The previews do look really cool.

Well I gotta go watch episode 1 :)

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

this is different tho from S2. He was fired from CTU but he still works for the gov't .....

get me a hacksaw.

5. cwright macrumors 6502a

this may be a stupid question... but what is that supposed to mean? :confused:

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Always wanted to watch, but never did...
    I watched tonight for the first time and liked it a lot.

A friend has seasons 1-3 on DVD
    I have season 1 to watch but haven't started yet

Guess I will now.

2 more hours tomorrow night...
    Easy to get behind!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't think it's a stupid question....

Anyway, somehow I knew the new head of the CTU, Driscoll, was going to be a pain in the ass. And I think we all knew that via some deus ex machina, Jack was going to end up being out in the field again.

So far the story line is good, although I think it might have been more interesting this time if they'd gone with home-grown terrorists instead of another batch of foreigners. Fanatical neo-cons for season 5, anyone?

8. cwright macrumors 6502a

After watching the first 3 seasons with mostly the same characters, I thought it was kinda strange with all but two of them (jack and chloe) now gone. And I wish Chloe (sp?) was gone too... she's still a pain in the ass. Very annoying.

Overall I think it was a really good start. Should be another good season.

I'm glad Jack's replacement is already dead too... I didn't really like him :D

9. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

There goes Jack again, doing whatever the hell he wants...but he gets results :p

Interesting to see all of CTU pretty much restructured...Jack's gal is pretty cute too :)

I wonder if they will mention Tony and Michelle at all, I remember he was taken away at the end of season 3, I wonder if he was shown any leniency due to his record of service.

And yes, hopefully no Kim...I don't need to see her get raped by a bear or anything :rolleyes:

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Edit:
    Beware the following paragraph has a season 2 spoiler. However I believe it is in the very first episode so it's not much of a spoiler.
    /Edit

In the beginning of Season 2 in order to get in contact with their first suspect Jack had them call in the lead witness in a federal case against the suspect. Jack promptly shot and killed the witness and asked for a hacksaw, cut to commercial.

Every year I think they should just call it quits on this show since they gimmick is starting to get old and I am a firm believer in quitting while you are ahead. However I keep watching so it can't be that bad. I'm actually amazed that Fox hasn't cancelled it yet for some stupid reality show that costs a fraction of the money to make. Of course I'm still bitter about Firefly but that's another thread.

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Yeah, its not much of a spoiler, just one of my favorite lines.

I hope we can discuss season 4 in here without too many spoiler warnigns except for timezone differences so people who are waiting to watch them but haven't might want to stay away.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Spoilers typically should be announced in caps, and then written in white (so that you have to click-and-drag to read them).

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This is the first time I watched 24, and I think this looks pretty promising.
    My predictions: the kid and his girlfriend are both going to die. Or almost get killed, probably by his father.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It would have been had it been a real spoiler from a recent episode. Of course it's a moot point since I haven't figured out how to type in white. So I don't comment on new episodes and give away anything. A two year old scene from the season opener isn't much of a spoiler. Just thought I would preface it for those who are trying to catch up by watching the DVDs.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This season is gonna be great, every year I get sucked back in, 2 more hours tomorrow and I can't wait.

16. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i dont' think either will die, i think the mother is the mastermind and the father will die or be shot.

17. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Has anyone here seen The House of Sand and Fog? The actors playing Bairuz and his mother (Jonathan Ahdout and Shohreh Aghadashloo) played son and mother in that movie. It was kind of neat/strange/interesting seeing them paired in 24 again. I sort of expected the father to look more like Ben Kingsley.

I agree that it would have been more interesting to see domestic bad guys, but it's possible in the next 22 episodes the writers might add some twists on the formula. The neo-con angle may just play out in the form of Secretary Heller's character development. There have been hints of it in his son's explanation / fight with him about the (attempted) speaking engagement at the Lockheed protest.

18. sarae thread starter macrumors 6502

Man, I thought last night's episodes were great. I was a little skeptical at first with their decision to play 4 eps in 2 days.. but I forgot how whenever I want 1 ep, I want the next one right away!

I'm sure they're going to mention Tony and Michelle, maybe there'll be a cameo (remember, she had been offered some job in DC..) but at the very least I'm sure Jack or Chloe will make some reference to what they're doing now, a la how Jack quickly summed up that Chase + Kim were buying a house, blah blah.

I for one think the terrorist-family angle is moving way too fast to be upheld all season long.. there have GOT to be a number of twists in order to keep it from becoming too predictable.

Man I love this show. :)

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Easy. There's a color pull-down menu right above the text box you type your posts in. (There's also the rarely-used font pull-down menu.) ;)

The one thing I didn't like about the episode is that Heller's son, who's obviously a liberal, is being portrayed as a whiny, useless, utopian wimp. But then, this is Fox....

20. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

well a few things, I think Palmer was pretty clearly a liberal. I'm fairly liberal and I even laughed at the jab at michael moore because it was funny. and if you think about it for the direction of the show in the grand scheme, they're putting a conservative on trial for war crimes, so don't automatically assume that the show is taking a bias.

21. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Lots of hubub on talk radio this morning about people being offended by the way 24 portays a Muslim family as terrorists. Personally I don't care but I did remark to my wife while we were watching last night - "oooh - let me guess - the brown people are bad, right?

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I love 24, can't wait for the new series to kick off over here in the UK :cool:

23. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

I will have to wait a long time to order the 24 s4 DVD's from amazon.com. 24 s3 was released on Dec. 22 in Japan (for 22,000 yen or about $US200) so buying from amazon.com was the cheapest option (including shipping) In fact, I could have gotten all 3 seasons for less than 1 season in Japan!

I don't know if 24 s4 will be available for rental here any sooner, but the show is quite popular, and FOX may want to capitalize on DVD sales of s3 and release rentals here quickly...

24. cwright macrumors 6502a

Watching episode 1 and 2 last night really reminded me that we need HDTV... We've got a 55" HD-ready tv and surround sound, which was awesome when watching season 3 on DVD, but now that we're watching the broadcast, we have no widescreen, no surround sound, a somewhat fuzzy reception... and those damn commercials. plus the fact that you can't watch 10 episodes in a row if you get hooked :)

maybe I should just wait until season four comes out on DVD :D

edit: spelling errors

25. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

You can see it in HDTV if you're in range of the over-the-air HD broadcast signal. All you need is the special HD antenna. And of course, the DVDs are all standard definition, not HD (but the widescreen and clear picture make it look great compared to standard broadcast).

HD antennas cost around $60 the last time I looked.

I agree though, I'd really like to watch it in HD too.

I'm guessing Debbie is Driscoll's daughter.