24" vs 20" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cmm, Jan 20, 2007.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I am looking for an iMac mainly to watch DVDs, TV, and do general home apps. Which would you recommend? The 24" is much more expensive, is the screen real estate worth it? I have a 20" ppc iMac and loved it; but this was many moons ago.

Also, how can I have easy integration between the iMac and my powerbook (it has bluetooth and airport)? I will use the powerbook to bring to class (it's a 12" ultra portable).

Thanks!

2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I would wait till Santa Rose gets dropped in the iMacs before you go replacing a G5.

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have any iMac, just the powerbook g4 12"

4. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

How close are you to the nearest Apple Store? I'd go check it out...

The 24" is gigantic. I use a 19" widescreen currently and think its perfect.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

For your uses it will only have the extra screen space. It has a better graphics card for games and video editing etc. It also has FW 800 for a faster connection of external drives used for professionals

6. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't live anywhere close to an Apple store. I really want a 30" but my 12" pb won't accept that. :(

I think I'd be happier with the 24, but I am not sure how much nicer TV and DVDs will look, if any.

7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I guess I misread, I thought you still had the iMac.

8. devman macrumors 65816

devman

tough call. From what you describe a 20" would do, but the bigger screen is awesome and there a few other differences. The 24" has better graphics card options and it has better speaker volume levels (24w amp vs 12w amp in the 20") which might matter to you for DVDs and TV. A friend of mine got a 20"iMac (his first Mac and thought the same as you about the extra cost for the 24"). Now that he has the iMac and does DVDs and EyeTV he wishes he got the 24".

re: santa rosa, etc. There is always something better coming. 6 months or so is a long time to wait if you need a computer now.

9. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Question: If you're just going to use it for watching dvd's and tv, why not just add a 23" Cinema Display to your powerbook? Cheaper than buying an iMac...

10. Xyl macrumors regular

Definitely the 24".

Someone mentioned that the 24" is gigantic. Go to a store, you'll think the same. You'll say to yourself "Holy ****, I don't think I can fit this beast anywhere". And then after you think about it, you'll just notice that it would be soooo much better than the 20", ESPECIALLY for watching movies on, and you'll FIND somewhere to fit it. :p

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

In my opinion, the 24" iMac should be purchased with the GeForce 7600GT. for a measly $125 extra you get a very credible gaming card and the extra screen to make use of it.

Either way, the iMacs represent pretty good value, when you factor in the cost of a PC desktop with equivalent specs and and LCD.

My rule: always by the MOST computer you can afford. If you can afford the 24", get it.

12. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

In my opinion for the stuff you want to do - yes the 24" is the better choice. Definitely. More a question if you can afford it.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you get a 24" iMac, there are two possibilities: Either you say it's huge and you love it, or you say it's huge and you hate it. Find a place where you can look at a 20 inch and a 24 inch. If you can't, make a cardboard cutout; you should find all the size information somewhere on Apple's website. If you end up loving it, and you can afford it, it is worth the money.

14. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Highly recommend a refurb 24" iMac, esp. for watching movies, etc.. Have mine now for ~2 months, and the screen is absolutely beautiful, and large, but in a :cool: way.