24fps content - slight stutter - best config for Sony Bravia

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by erpetao, Apr 2, 2012.

1. erpetao, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

macrumors regular

Hi

I noticed some stutter with my Apple TV with content at 24p. After doing quite a lot of research and trying different things, I think that the best setup is:

- Apple TV display settings to Auto (which will pick up 1080 at 60hz)

- Sony TV, in picture settings:
    - Set "MPEG Noise reduction" to Off
    - Set "Motionflow" to Clear
    - Film Mode to Off​

Other posts seem to use "MotionFlow" to Off and "Film Mode" to "Auto 2" but I think this setup is better.

Please post your settings for Sony TV's and 24p content if you have something that looks better.

2. macrumors 6502

khollister

I'm using Clear and Auto2 on my HX929 for everything (cable, BD and ATV3). Looks pretty smooth without the Soap Opera Effect you get with Smooth/Auto1.

3. macrumors 6502

I had this problem with PAL files in particular. It was so bad as to make the programmes unwatchable. When I turned off all of the motion-smoothing functions on my Sony Bravia, the stutter disappeared.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I switched now to Auto 2 to see how it looks. I don't see a lot of difference, maybe actually is a bit better.

I haven't changed the default settings for the blu ray player, it's a Sony player and I haven't seen any issues. I thought BR players handle telecine on their own.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

My Sony KDL55EX723BU has "24p True Cinema" which I believe means that it can play 24p content from blu rays at 24fps.

Now I don't know how this works between the TV and the blu ray player, do they sync at 24hz?

Whatever it is, I don't think it works with the Apple TV. I noticed that the same file in mkv, played directly in the tv through DLNA, works much smoother than through the apple tv.