24fps in iMovie?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by orbitalpunk, Sep 26, 2006.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

Aug 14, 2006
    does anyone know if its possible to import and edit 24fps movies in iMovie? do i have to move up to Final Cut?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    You'll need to get Final Cut Pro, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it). Express won't cut it either.

Check out the bottom line:

3. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 14, 2006
    thank you very much for the quickreply.

say, do you know if there is a way to add a FPS time code to the saved movie?

thanks again
  4. woodjo macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2006
    Just to clarify...

While you DO need final cut pro to import/edit/export native 24p footage, all is not lost with final cut express.

I just finished up a project that had a few different formats (24p,30p,etc...). Final Cut Express 3.5 imported and edited the footage flawlessly. Now we ended up just exporting for the web (and it looks awesome).

However, *I've heard* where final cut express 3.5 falls short is its ability to preserve 24p. aka if you need to have the 24p preserved throughout your workflow and then say.. printed to film.

Now, I'm no Final Cut expert, but just wanted to say that if your end goal is just getting the footage imported and edited (and in my case..exported), Final Cut Express 3.5 should work just fine for you. I did not try importing the footage into iMovie.

Finally, if you need to move to Final Cut.. I recommend express if $$$ is a concern. I believe it can be found (legally) for sale around $150. Not a bad deal for what you get.
  5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2004
    yeah woodjo is correct. what happens is that the camera shooting 24p is still recording 60i onto the tape. so it can be edited by final cut express no problem. what final cut pro can do is get that interlaced footage back to native 24p and edit that.