24in Imac vs. MacPro, what am I loosing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kylepro88, Sep 15, 2006.

1. kylepro88 macrumors regular

Jul 30, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    How long do you think it will take for someone to get a side by side comparison of these? If I get either it will be this:

iMac 24in
    2GB RAM
    500GB HD

2gb ram
    250GB HD

I will be using Final Cut Studio for personal projects not a zillion things for business stuff. I will get very busy on it but im not sure if I would need the macPro although for the $2,350 vs. $2,774 it might be worth the wait. But then I gotta weigh out me having to use my 19in CRT for now on the MacPro which I dont see as completely tragic. What do you guys think? I also game a little, COD, BF2, FarCry, etc. would be in bootcamp.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    iMac. Unless you're doing some serious editing, Motion graphics, encoding for DVDs, or major multitasking, the Mac Pro is probably overkill. With the 2.33 Ghz option and the 7600 nVidia option on the iMac, it makes it a killer machine. I'd buy one if I didn't have a 3Ghz Mac Pro with 2.5TB of drive space and an x1900.
  3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2006
    You are asking to compare apples to oranges. One machine is Professional and the other is Prosumer. If you are doing straight video editing as a hobby at standard resolution and have no need for the rendering power you would get with Macpro, then the iMac might get you by. In my opinion, the Macpro is the superior machine. I wouldn't consider an iMac unless all I did was play games, surf the web and run office stuff.
  4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
  5. kylepro88 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 30, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    on my PC here are the things I do now:

Adobe Premiere
    Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe After Effects
    Battlefield 2
    Call of Duty
    Web Design
    Encoding for Web w/Sorenson Squeeze

and other basic uses. I do all my video stuff on a AMDXP2500 w/2GB ram so I know what its like to wait for renders.

Basically the issue is the iMac has a screen, MacPro does not. The iMac isn't upgradable but even on the MacPro I see 2GB RAM being the amount I would ever need with my work and the HD upgrade problem can be fixed on the iMac with a nice G-Raid into the Firewire 800 port. Even on the MacPro I might do that so the upgradable part is kinda thrown out of the decision. The only thing that could be upgraded on the MacPro that I care about is the videocard but the 7300GT seems to run amazingly well with all the hardware.

I do Weddings, Personal Films, DVD Menus, encoding, etc. so I do alot of stuff but not in a business aspect so im wondering if the screen w/less power is really worth it. Idk its so hard to choose, the difference in price is only $170 bucks. The MacPro seems it will last longer too.

6. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Sep 8, 2006
    buy the mac pro
    if you buy the imac you will be wondering what a mac pro is like but not vice versa
    so what if you have to use a sh*tty crt you will be able to afford a cinema display one day
  7. Voltes V macrumors member

Sep 2, 2006
    get the mac pro. and start saving money for a nice lcd display down the road. stick with your old display, but have the benefit of speed and performance.
  8. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    If you are using your machine to generate income on as daily basis,
    go with the Mac Pro.

A little over a year ago it would have run you $2999.00 for a 2.7 GHz G5 dual processor.

The Mac Pro is by far a superior machine meant for heavy use.